Swimming jig does not swim well

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by ducati-748, Sep 20, 2018.

1. ducati-748

ducati-748 Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    not yet
    Like the title said, what you guys do for those Irons like Salas 6x, 7x Tady 45 which are not swimming well ?

Can you modify or fix it as a good swimming jig or just let go the crap.

2. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Some you can and some you cannot. No substitute for experience here. It usually starts with the jig you picked. Every jig make and model has a different set of specific characteristics I am looking for. If they do not have them, I do not buy it. Period. Some of us have spent years to know/figure out what you can and cannot do to certain jigs to make them better. Some bad ones you can make decent and some decent ones you can make good. And some just plain suck all the way around. Those are saved for practice jigs.
    I doubt anyone is willing to share their secrets here. Mine are only known to a very close circle of jig slinger buddies. Always looking for the advantage against all the other jigs and fishermen.
    If yours are not swimming well I would start to play with them. Things you can modify include ring size/gauge, hook size and style, and shaping them. I have a belt sander at home and NOT because I am Bob Villa.
    I know this is vague and I meant it that way. Just trying to give a little guidance.
    Hopefully it makes sense or increases your desire to continue your education on jigs..!!! :)

3. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Assuming that you have a nearby pool so that you can do repeated swim tests, it is possible to modify and adjust light surface jigs so that they swim "better." Like Bill just said, those modifications are often hard-earned knowledge and not widely shared.

It starts with picking a jig that has the characteristics that you are looking for, in the placement of the hole in the nose of the jig and the shape of the shoulders of the jig and the angles of the edges of the jig, to start with. Remember that lure manufacturers often have more than one set of dies, so that a particular model like a "Tady 45" can be as much as an inch longer than another "Tady 45" lure from the same manufacturer, and that affects all of the angles of the lure, and thus how it swims in your style of fishing. Size and weight and type of hooks all matter.

This appeals to those of us who embrace our obsessive/compulsive disorder regarding fishing lures. I never met a lure that I didn't want to tweak.

This is a very dark and expensive pathway to start down. My counsel is to avoid the temptation. Buy a Wax Wing, cast it as far as you can, point the rod at the lure and reel steadily. Every few rolls it will kick off to one side or the other, which is the whole point of surface iron, and a fish will likely bite it. Take all of the money you saved by not messing around trying to adjust your surface lures and treat your lady to a nice vacation.

4. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    People usually sell them on here as a lot.

Derby, tmitch760, plj46 and 3 others like this.
  5. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    You either sort thru them to find the swimmers and ditch the rest, or you mess with them, fitting with new rings and hooks, modifying shape, etc. to try and make them swim, or you unload them on Pangueros when travelling Baja. Then you tearfully give up on the names you grew up with, like Salas and Tady, who can't seem to make 50% of their jigs swim right, and you pony up the bucks for premium jigs like JRI and OCT.

LV2FISHSD likes this.
  6. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    I used to use my vertical belt sander to offset the hips.

Cubeye likes this.
  7. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Try different speeds and different rod positions(holding the rod tip up or down)

8. Pjstevko

Pjstevko Member

Name:
    PJ Stevko
    Boat:
    N/A
    Just buy Caivo surface irons from Jimmy at Long Beach Fishing supplies...He guaranties they'll swim right or he will replace them!!!!

ducati-748 and skipjackrobert like this.
  9. ducati-748

ducati-748 Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    not yet

Hi PJ,

Those jigs looks cool.

What's the best working model and colors ?

Thanks,

10. Pjstevko

Pjstevko Member

Name:
    PJ Stevko
    Boat:
    N/A
    I realize theres a bunch of "models" but I think the only difference is colorings and finishes...
    Colors I would buy would be mint, mint/white, blue, blue/white, scrambled egg and red crab...

11. ducati-748

ducati-748 Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    not yet
    May be I will get some from Ebay and take a try.

Thanks,

Islandgypsy likes this.
  12. HBB

HBB Newbie

Name:
    Barney
    Boat:
    Relax
    Jam a pair of pliers or screwdriver in the top hole and work it to one side. When you spin the jig in a circle it should kick.

ducati-748 and mackereljoe like this.
  13. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    If it's a Salas, what Larry said. Salas let's paint get in the holes, clean those out so the jig spins well and it'll work a lot better. I'll give another hint; for those not using clips, you should. Every jig swims with them, some just better than others.

14. Pjstevko

Pjstevko Member

Name:
    PJ Stevko
    Boat:
    N/A
    Yeah I order all my lures off his eBay store!

These are the only surface irons I've ever used but have heard these need to be fished a little slower than the more popular brands

MadHatches likes this.
  15. Jaysons999

Jaysons999 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    I’m a long time tady and salas fisherman and I will tell you what I tried some jri jigs that I got from Fred hall show. Much more consistent and they can be wound faster. Don’t get me wrong I have tons of salad and tady jigs but I find myself reaching over them to get my jri instead. Just my opinion

AndyJ likes this.
  16. NukeDawg

NukeDawg Member

Name:
    dub-dub-dub
    Boat:
    17' Arima Sea Angler
    why so secretive? what's the thought? if everyone's jigs swim right there will be no more fish?

carterantebi and Shewillbemine like this.
  17. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Console
    I think every jig can be made to swim, mostly by retrieve speed and rod angle.

However, we fishermen are a superstitious and secretive lot, hence all the mystery around magical swimming metal shards.

plj46 likes this.
  18. Caseydmaze

Caseydmaze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Un-Named
    Boat:
    18' Stringari Skiff
    This guy breaks jig selection down and covers a little bit of modifying.

19. pukahd

pukahd Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Sell them all and get JRI's. I have a shitz load of 45's, Salas, stored away deteriorating away.

Now all I throw are JRI 3's and they all swim niceeeeee. Only issue the paint chips away but nothing some clear nail polish cant fix.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  20. kenstevens1

kenstevens1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    none
    Jri. Open hole. Use tactical angle clip. Put bend in them, flat side with hammmer