Swimbait Rod

Discussion in 'The Bass Fishing Club' started by Bayninja 13, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bayninja 13

Bayninja 13 Son of Saluki

Name:
    Melo
    Boat:
    ODC 420, Oso's 17ft Mako... Professional Dock hopper
    What rod do you fellas recommend for saltwater bass. Mainly for swimbaits, 8ft, budget is around 100-150 but what I really want this rod to have is a soft tip ( I like whipping them out ) any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Gracias

2. FknChristopH

FknChristopH Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christoph
    Boat:
    FAT Cat / RIP Icon
    Might need some more info butt...

Line rating?

How heavy of swimmies will you be fishing?

3. Big Pancho

Big Pancho Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Frank Ochoa
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl Striper
    Melo more info is needed. What you doing with the rod? you using it for spotties, wall fishing. heavy kelp fishing, structure bottom fishing for bass. There are many variables to consider before your purchase. Now there are on a few rod that are in that price range that you mentioned. Shimano has there Teramar Series which are a great rod, But I have never been to happy about the single wraps on there guides. But overall a awesome rod. Second would be Graphtech Rods very strong and reliable and affordable. Now if it was me and was getting ready to step up on a higher end rod I would save a bit more money like 200 to 300 dollar range and look at the new Phoenix. Higher end Shimano. G Loomis. Cal Star, Rainshadow, Brother when it comes to buying gear you came to right place to ask for advice. My fellow bass brothers on here will give you some great advice on what to purchase. Again save a little bit more dinero and get yourself something really nice. You can't go wrong. But remember one thing once you step up your going to get addicted like most of us on here. I hope this helps you. Later brother

BP

4. Juny

Juny Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jorge Bee
    Boat:
    15' Gregor
    Teramar 8' MH for the 4-5 inch swimmies!

5. Yumatym

Yumatym Newbie

Name:
    Tee Dee
    Boat:
    Yep
    SEEKER 658

6. calicopro

calicopro Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
    If you're looking for a rod, that has a softer tip, and slower action, I would recommend the Calstar Grafighter GX-8. A great choice for dudes that don't like super fast (stiffer) tips.

7. Bayninja 13

Name:
    Melo
    Boat:
    Thanks fellas, should of been more descriptive. The rod Im looking for is strictly for bass, will be used mostly in the bay, swimbait size 3-4, test # anywhere from 10-25, . I own a crucial but the rod will be used in kelps with 4-6 size swimbaits. So I guess you can say it will be an everyday rod for me. Reel that I will use will be either a curado(maybe another similar low profile reel), calcutta te, revo....still debating. Again, thanks for the advice fellas.

8. nochinges63

nochinges63 PIN HEAD

Name:
    Raul
    Boat:
    23'trophy pro get some
    Is your last name Rosas by any chance

9. Big Pancho

Name:
    Frank Ochoa
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl Striper
    Larry you are right about the GX-8 it is a great rod for maybe bay fishing or targeting fish less than ten pounds. I have one and tried using it over at Catalina a few years ago and or course had to try it out on some calico. Well let me tell I got picked up all right but on the wrong kind. I had a 15 pound yellowtail that just destroyed me on that rod. I ended up getting the fish but it was a battle but loved every minute of it!!!!!!!. One never knows what he is going to catch and that is when the proper set up is very important as to what your targeting. I myself love fishing my 1144 G-loomis even thou it is very whippy at the tip. This rod can cast a swimbait a mile long. To bad they don't make it any more but I just heard that someone will be coming out with a whole new line of rods. I forget the gentlemans name but will throw up some information once I get it. Again personal prefference is the name of the game and many of us who have been fishing these bass for quite some time kinda know what is needed to get the job done. The thing is with rods there are so many to choose from. But I kinda understand when a brother wants to save a buck on fishing gear. This sport of ours that we all love to do comes with a price and that price ain't cheep when we start buying high end gear. It's not that you need this high end gear to catch fish but many of us have been fortunate enought to purchase them. Well brother thanks for your input.

BP

10. Bayninja 13

Name:
    Melo
    Boat:
    .......no, its mamas :rofl:

11. Bayninja 13

Name:
    Melo
    Boat:
    Thanks Im going to look into that rod.

12. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    :rofl::rofl:

13. Killer Instinct

Killer Instinct BigTuna - Cesar

Name:
    Cesar Chavez
    Boat:
    KILLER INSTINCT
    The St. Croix Mojo Inshore Series MIC70MHF or the MIC76MHF is what I would recommend on a budget these are great graphite rods for $120-$130 & way lighter than a comparable Phenix rod. If you really want a medium action then the MIC76MLM is the way to go at $110

14. tray

tray Newbie

Name:
    Tom R
    Boat:
    19 boston whaler

15. tray

tray Newbie

Name:
    Tom R
    Boat:
    19 boston whaler
    I have a Cal Star gfgr 700xl rated 10-25 used but in xlent shape
    I would sell for $100.00 call Tom @562-761-4835

16. Bayninja 13

Name:
    Melo
    Boat:
    thanks for the offer but im looking for an 8footer:)

17. Big Pancho

Name:
    Frank Ochoa
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl Striper
    Melo check this rod out its just under 200.00 bolas now this rod was 7'9 inches but I had 3 inches added to the butt section and let me tell you this rod has the power to kill any bass out there and the nice thing about it is the lightest rod I have in my arsenal. The bait in the picture is a 8 inch new proto type I am working on and with it only weighing 2.5 ounce this rod will have no problem handling it. Brother like I said save a few more coins and get yourself something nice you won't regret it. Get yourself a big boys rod and come help us kill some fish. Like I said there are way to many options out there but if your on a budget get the most bang for your buck. Hope this helps.

Big Pancho

Attached Files:

18. calicopro

calicopro Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
    That's a pretty sick rod Pancho!

One thing about a bass rod, there is no shortage of sticks to choose from, and applications in which to use them. I'm kind of a rod whore myself, but the best advice I can really offer is to get up close and personal with a bunch of sticks at your local tackle shop, and pull on one, or a dozen....

Also if you want to save a few bucks in the long run, learn how to wrap your own, you'll save a few bucks :rofl: