Saltwater Swiftsure / Neah Bay

Olyfishin

Sep 2, 2018
Olympia
Name
Dave
Boat
20' Trophy
After a very good day at Sekiu on July 4th, it cooled off on Sunday for us, So, I made the long run from Sekiu to Neah Bay Monday in amazing water conditions, expecting to be rewarded. I arrived at 7:00 AM to find a grand total of maybe 4 or 5 boats... seemed SO weird to be devoid of fishermen.

What else was missing? Bait... fish... whales. All the normal Swiftsure sights and sounds. I tried a number of areas around the bank that have produced in the past with only a dozen small coho landed, all of which were wild. No big masses of bait... no huge groups of birds actively feeding. Just didn't feel as alive as normal. First time I've ever been blanked for salmon out there. Heck of a long way to go for that result.

Anyone have better reports for the Neah Bay area? I'm heading back next weekend, and maybe thinking of fishing off of Waadah Island if Sekiu doesn't pick back up?

Upvote 0

SLYDOG

(:
  • Feb 11, 2015
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    2015 210 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Made the run out to swiftsure on morning of 7/3. quite a few boats out there. Found whales, birds, and some bait but not thick by any means but only found a few coho, called it quits and ran back in to better fishing.

Reactions: bdrlgion
    Upvote 0

ACHEWTER

Jun 8, 2009
    Snohomish
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    26 cruisers
    same results here but we ran into a large group of orcas on swiftsure. The place seemed void of kings and the Coho were dinks. Water was like a farm pond and we left Seki with full tank of gas so we headed 30 miles south to shark fin and compass rose and found the troll fleet in the middle of the day. Never had a bite and after a couple hours headed in to shore and loaded up on rockfish. Covered around 120 miles without a king to show for it. Best king fishing for the weekend was all in the straits for us. I'm sure the fleet was on fish and we should have stuck it out down there for a tide change but making the rite decisions wasn't exactly the trend for the weekend. Had a good time with a great crew so what the hell.

Upvote 0

WaKaTuna

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    65 Viking (cpt), 2850 kingfisher (mine)
    in shallow produced, lot of scouting tO
    get out of the Engine noise at waddah, but use your electronics and inside tatoosh to waddah there are some nice fish! Not a ton of sign, big probably blue label herring in their stomachs

Upvote 0

SLYDOG

(:
  • Feb 11, 2015
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    2015 210 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Our biggest fish of the weekend came out of the tatoosh/mushroom rock area but it wasn’t hot fishing in there by any means. We’d pick up one or two nice ones and then it would go cold. Had quite a few limits to fill so we left that to go back into the sekiu area where the numbers of fish seemed to be.

in shallow produced, lot of scouting tO
    get out of the Engine noise at waddah, but use your electronics and inside tatoosh to waddah there are some nice fish! Not a ton of sign, big probably blue label herring in their stomachs

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
    Seattle
    Name
    "Mulligan"
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    Our biggest fish of the weekend came out of the tatoosh/mushroom rock area but it wasn’t hot fishing in there by any means. We’d pick up one or two nice ones and then it would go cold. Had quite a few limits to fill so we left that to go back into the sekiu area where the numbers of fish seemed to be.
    I was on Duckworth Steve's boat last weekend. It was nice fishing alongside with ya and trading intel. Thanks for being generous w/ info, and hope to repay it back with some of our own soon.

Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
    Sep 7, 2011
    Kent, WA USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Whichever I am invited onto
    We are rolling out tomorrow morning and will be in CQ through the weekend. Hope there’s still a few left out there!

Upvote 0

Tyestick

May 30, 2012
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Tye
    Boat
    GW 232 - King Tyed
    Headed up Saturday through Thursday. SS is our typical go to this time of year, but just like everything else in 2020 it is anything but typical! Always on 68 if anyone is looking to chat.

Reactions: Sockeye71
    Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
    Seabeck
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    2009 Albin 32TE
    motoring from Seabeck on Saturday and staying in CQ Sunday through Friday. Hoping to get the wives out to SS to see the whales, but thats a long trip if not many fish there. Boat's name is Endurance and I'm always on 68.

Upvote 0

Middle C

Apr 4, 2020
    Tri-Cities
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    2015 Hewescraft 24' Alaskan
    I’ll be heading to CQ this weekend also. Trying to get my son on his first salmon! I’ll also be on 68. Tight lines.
    Dave

Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
    May 10, 2010
    White trashville
    Name
    Garrett
    Boat
    21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
    Chinook fishing at Sekiu was as good as I've seen it in years last weekend. Made the run out to cape flattery for some rockfish, chatter on the radio from swiftsure wasn't great. Did a bunch of scouting on the way out and back, caught mostly coho. Tons of bait scattered all along the straight.
    IMG_3838.JPG

We got these two at 4:30 and 5:30 in the morning...
    IMG_3851.JPG

Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Sep 7, 2011
    Kent, WA USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Sounds like there will be a few folks out there this weekend too.

Go by Beast Wake on 68. Or, if you see the 6’8 guy wandering around, that’s me.

Upvote 0

Draht vom Hoko

Almost A Member
    Mar 11, 2012
    Bremerton & Hoko, WA
    www.vomHoko.com
    Name
    Joel Davis
    Boat
    Shamrock 260 Cuddy LE Keel Drive; Cummins 6BT5.9M 210 HP
    more bait in Sekiu than I've seen in many years this past weekend. Lots of biomass on the bottom too; fish spewing red goo galore. Opener was red hot and has cooled a bit, but still good action, especially early morning.. typical coho sizes for this time of year, and Sunday we had a nice 20lb king w/extra fin, ugh....... Neighbor got a 12 lb this morning, 3 shakers before calling it at 7am, so there seem to enough decent sized kings around that beg the question of running out to NB/SS. Neverthess, he's headed out to SS tomorrow, so hopefully we'll have more intel to share that will inform upcoming weekend plans.
    Either way fish in the Straits will be getting fat fast and SS could pop with newcomers any day. Wondering what's happening out at BlueDot....???

Reactions: Tyestick and GregE
    Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Sep 7, 2011
    Kent, WA USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Sounds like there will be a few folks out there this weekend too.

Go by Beast Wake on 68. Or, if you see the 6’8 guy wandering around, that’s me.

Well, maybe not. Apparently Olson’s is full. No moorage either. Anybody ever stayed at Anglers Hideaway?

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    Olson’s does not have a lot of camping spaces to rent out. Van ripers has a lot more spaces, so that’s going to be your best shot at camping. Just spoke with Olson’s and they are pretty full on moorage but didn’t rule out having space. Others there might have dock space available and worse case scenario they are helping people haul in/out when full.

Upvote 0

Paul Marias

Hunting fishing, lovin every day
    Oct 4, 2017
    Idaho
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22 ft Alumaweld intruder
    We are heading to Sekiu Tuesday for our first time there 10 days. Gonna target rockfish and Lings mainly but bringing Salmon gear for the mornings. Have never fished for Salmon on the salt only the Columbia. Same deal? Cut plug herring, green 360s with superbaits?

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
    Seattle
    Name
    "Mulligan"
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    We are heading to Sekiu Tuesday for our first time there 10 days. Gonna target rockfish and Lings mainly but bringing Salmon gear for the mornings. Have never fished for Salmon on the salt only the Columbia. Same deal? Cut plug herring, green 360s with superbaits?

i'm sure that'd work, but you'll find most folks using a normal 11" flasher with a hoochie or spoon. some use bait but it seems to be the minority.

Reactions: Paul Marias
    Upvote 0

dany08fa

Almost A Member
    Aug 5, 2008
    Olympia
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    High Hopes

Green flashers, hoochie and spoon. 40’-100’ on wire was good last weekend.

Upvote 0

Paul Marias

Oct 4, 2017
    Idaho
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22 ft Alumaweld intruder
    Green flashers, hoochie and spoon. 40’-100’ on wire was good last weekend.
    When we were on the Oregon coast I didnt see anyone using downriggers. Why would that be? Is there a pro to using cannonball weights?

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
    Seattle
    Name
    "Mulligan"
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    When we were on the Oregon coast I didnt see anyone using downriggers. Why would that be? Is there a pro to using cannonball weights?

can't speak to the entire oregon coast, but a lot of in/nearshore salmon fishing focuses on the top of the water column and/or shallow waters, where a rigger might be more trouble than it's worth.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    I rarely catch suspended fish at CQ or NB except at sunrise/sundown. Like RuPaul always says..pound that bottom, just like winter BM. It's not a lazy man's game, even with the depth changes, keep adjusting...

Upvote 0

Paul Marias

Oct 4, 2017
    Idaho
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22 ft Alumaweld intruder
    I rarely catch suspended fish at CQ or NB except at sunrise/sundown. Like RuPaul always says..pound that bottom, just like winter BM. It's not a lazy man's game, even with the depth changes, keep adjusting...
    How deep of water do you fish when you are working the bottom?

Upvote 0