SWEET TERESA SCI report for 7/20-7/21

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by SDSportfish, Jul 21, 2010.

1. SDSportfish

SDSportfish Newbie

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    Sweet Teresa
    We made the run for SCI yesterday leaving at 1pm. It was much nicer than I expected with 2' seas, easy wind at 6 knots and we were able to run around 26 knots straight out. We did hit some rougher stuff around the 43, but it mellowed out once we got within 10 miles of Pyramid. We made our first stop on the kelp for steady action on the sheephead, whitefish, calicos and really big blue perch. We set up and drifted the beach for a nice grade halibut. We were able to make some squid, not alot, and set up for WSB. No go on the ghost, but we were all amazed at these flying fish that were busting away from sealions greyhounding on them under the lights. These were the biggest flying fish I have ever seen, cool stuff! Around 12 we pulled anchor and ran for shelter around White rock, it was drizzle and COLD wind that greeted us.....not fun. I froze my ass off with 2 jackets a hoody and slickers, in a word miserable! We stayed tough and fished all night but nothing happened. Brandon made some killer WSB tacos from some fish I brought, (bad luck??) from an earlier trip. It was so awesome just to hold something hot and homemade, all the guys woke up for the 2 am feeding, only to return to the warmth of the pilot house. We slowed trolled the east side for a nice grade of bonito, then up to China for some looking around. We drifted some good water and JD got bit, it had him doubled over and had the classic yt headed shake, but ended badly in the rocks.Another Halibut drift and the back to the honey hole for a few more of the usual suspects. We ended up with near limits of sheephead, whitefish, a few calicos and kelp bass and some assorted rockfish. We pulled out around 230 and were on the hunt for that magic paddy, not a single one the whole 60 mile run home.
    The guys went home loaded with quality fillets and agreat adventure to talk about at the next BBQ.
    Thanks for a great trip, looking forward to getting after the tna with you a little later when things heat up!

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      206.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      159.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      181.5 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      206 KB
      Views:
  2. Reuben

Reuben Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Reuben
    Boat:
    Boat
    Cool trip. How did you catch the flying fish? Ive always wanted to look at one up close like that. Cool pics that kinda reminded me of the ones you see in Avalon of the hot chics from the 30's and 40's holding flying fish.......well not really...but you know what i mean.

3. SDSportfish

SDSportfish Newbie

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    Sweet Teresa
    it flew itself kamikaze style into the lights. Awesome animal really coolcolors

4. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Thanks for your report. That yellow has got to come alive at that island soon - I pray.

5. wsbkiller

wsbkiller Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Sometimes
    Great pics Rod...looks like a fun time brother.

6. ambush1

ambush1 Swagger Lures,

Name:
    brett bumz
    Boat:
    23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
    nice hali right there

7. TadyPaddy

TadyPaddy "KILLER" "dessie99"

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    2120 Parker
    Thanks for the report. The 302 was loaded with paddies the other day. Fishing south today, heading down to the north side of the lower finger.

8. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
    Thanks for the report Rod, at least there is always something to keep you busy at SCI. Nice halibut!

9. PullinAhi

PullinAhi Fisherman

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    18 foot CC
    The sea lions and flying fish put on a show there almost every night. We have had one fly right into our BBQ one time.. Lol
    That island should turn on soon with the amigo getting 22 yellows there last week (I was on that trip) :). Should start seeing some good counts on them.

10. johnnydev7

johnnydev7 Newbie

Name:
    John Devine
    Boat:
    tbd
    Hey Capt Rod!

Thanks for the great trip! We had a blast and you and Brandon were great. Really worked hard to get us on as much fish as possible and we appreciated the effort.

Highlights for me were catching my first 'butt' ("I think it might just be kelp"...DOH!), the flying fish/sea lion show, hanging with some good friends and making some new ones. If that darn YT hadn't broken off, that would have certainly made the list too.

In addition to the great fishing, the wildlife and nature shows were also great. Seeing things like the pipe fish, flying fish and other sea life at night was really cool and the ariel acrobatics shows put on the the porpoises were also spectacular.

I've always loved being out on the water and this trip will be very memorable. On behalf of Yak, Mike, and Rob, thanks again.

JD

11. SDSportfish

SDSportfish Newbie

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    Sweet Teresa
    Thanks again you guys! That was really what its all about, friends, being on the water, seeing the wildlife and of coarse catching some fish. These are the trips that let me know I'm doing what I should be doing. Im glad you guys enjoyed it as much as Brandon and I did, never get tired of seeing the sights on the Big Pond.
    Look forward to our SCI run in 2011! Should we have a black bucket ready for JD?

Capt. Rod and Brando

12. BreakJaws

BreakJaws Newbie

Flying Fish looks awesome!!!

13. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Captain Rod,

Man you are really killing it! Congrats on another great day on the water! See you out there!

Thanks for the report.

14. scduboy

scduboy Newbie

Name:
    murr
    Boat:
    my feet
    good to go! congrats on another awesome trip.. yet again you come back with the freezer full. way too go!

15. GOAT15

GOAT15 Newbie

Name:
    Brando
    Boat:
    28 Parker LADY LUCK, 25ft parker CC, 35 Cabo flybridge,Ranger 85
    Bucket memories, AKA YAK, Fun trip!!

16. DOS BALLENAS

DOS BALLENAS bisque is better

Name:
    owyn
    Boat:
    15 ft gregor, dos ballenas dos/ yak, fishstix
    Nice job out there... we hit SCI twice over the past two days to shelter for the night and conduct a juvenile mako and blue shark longline study... I was out there on a commercial rig The "Ventura II" We were mainly doing a research thing... but we found a paddy on the nine TODAY that was holding a few yellowtail... we also got a good school of smaller grade market squid to float out near the 43 where we drifted for the night.... on the 9 there were lots of whales, dolphins, and mini macs everywhere!

17. SDSportfish

SDSportfish Newbie

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    Sweet Teresa
    Thanks for the info!!! Good stuff to be in with the guy in the know! Looks like some yellows are willing to play at SCI