Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
Here's my simple recipe for the 9 Mile rockfish I cooked tonite. It was caught 9/21/06. My wife also fried up a filet from a 6-8 lb Red. I cooked up a teenager, a 3 pounder.

Sweet and Sour Rockfish
(1) whole 2-6 lb rockfish
box corn starch
veg oil

Sweet & Sour Sauce
1/3 c catsup
1/3 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c water
1/2 tsp salt
Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Whisk and boil on med heat until liquid is translucent. Put aside covered.

Wash fish. Gill, gut, scale and leave rest of fins on. Do not put slits into the skin. Rub both sides and cavity with raw garlic then ginger. Then salt heavily on both sides and cavity.

Heat oil in 14" cast iron skillet to +400 degrees. try to keep temperature at 400 degrees while frying all sides. I use a 15,000 btu cooker outside. Put whole fish in corn starch and rub in each side and cavity. Dust. Put 3/4s of fish in hot oil or whole fish if fits. Cook until it looks golden about 5 minutes. Then put tail section in for about half that time. Flip. Cook other side like 1st. When done remove to a sheet pan with a rack on top. Baste top side with S&S sauce. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes (depends on thickness). Remove, turn fish and baste other side with S&S sauce and return for 10-15 more minutes. Even though the fish pic looks well done it is JUST cooked thru to medium and juicy. Remove to a serving platter. I start eating at the tail and fins (crispy treats), then work on the head. After that i like the tail meat best. My wife said this fish tasted like shellfish. You are what you eat. You get about 1/3 more meat by cooking the fish whole. Lots of the tastiest meat is in the cheeks and fin/head areas. Parts that you throw away when fileting.

red fry 1.jpg red fry 2.jpg red fry 3.jpg red fry 4.jpg red fry 5.jpg red fry 6.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

x-man

May 28, 2005
Rancho Penasquitos
Name
Rick
Boat
17' invader center console
Thanks for the recipe. I gotta try that, it looks delicious. Those reds are one of my favorites.
Oh, and nice dinner plate. Is that Ronald McDonald? :D

Upvote 0

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
Looks pretty darn good!!!

Upvote 0

makohunterz

I'm that one guy
Jul 18, 2008
hemet
Name
markis
Boat
eventually gonna get one named "MakoHunterz"
bringing up an old post i know, but i made this tonight with chunks of fillet, and it was amazing to say the least

Upvote 0

Latest posts