Dexter Outdoors

Picklepork

May 29, 2012
Ventura, CA
Name
Gabriel
Boat
Can't afford
After getting a good size blister on my thumb from fighting a 60lb YFT a few weeks back on my stock handled Talica 12ii, I'm considering swapping out a couple of my handles for t-bar handles, such as the Tiburon T-Bar Lite.

I'm headed to Guadalupe on an 8 day in a few weeks and want to swap the handles on my Penn Fathom 40NLD2, which will be one of my 60lb reels along side my Mak15sea, which already has a t-bar style handle.

Have any of you made the swap, and if so, which handle did you get and like?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
I have several Makairas, and really like the T-Bar handle that they come with. I have also had good experiences with the Tiburon T-Bar Light on a couple of Newells that I have. The main thing would be making sure that you get a handle that fits the reel that you are modifying. Looking at the Tiburon site, it appears that they have handles for the applications you mention, so you should be pretty well set should you chose to go with them.

-Connor

Reactions: Picklepork
Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
I hate the Nob handles on the Talica's and Avets. For the Avets I just buy the larger size T-Bar style handles that come stock with the bigger Avets. They fit on the small reels just fine. (JX/LX) I went looking for a T-Bar style handle for the Talica's. I bought this one.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336488034&icep_item=300957823004

Luckily I tested it out on some rockfishing trips prior to taking it out for its intended use on Tuna. The screw comes out after reeling for a while. Took it apart....put more Loctite on it....did the same thing on the next trip. Into the trash it goes....Sure was a beautiful looking and comfortable handle when it worked.

So if anyone else has any ideas for a Talica II aftermarket handle...I also would be interested.

Upvote 0

Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Cal Sheets will put on one of the handles just like the Mak's have. You have to ship the reel handle to him as it takes some machining to do. I have one on my Avet MXL and JX.

Reactions: Pangamaster
Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
The Talica 50 handle does fit on a Talica 12/16 but you also must buy a couple other parts for the shift housing to align with handle screw holes. Nothing complicated but you need more than just the handle Talica 50 handle to make it work on the Talica 12/16. It has been a few years since I checked this option out so I am not sure exactly what parts are needed. Shimano service in Irvine can answer that question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: seabash
Upvote 0

coastalwerks

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Apr 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA USA
    Name
    Lance De Guzman
    Boat
    Local Kine!
    http://www.jiggingworld.com/shimano-talica-ii-eva-aluminum-t-bar-power-handle-talica-ii-12-25
    This arm comes in two different lengths that are longer than stock for more torque. Also comes in EVA rubber handle that I have on my Penn Torque 40N. Very comfortable handle.

Dave: I’m curious to know if the jigging world Eva handle is angled let’s say at 18 degrees or something? Also, can you send or post a picture of what the Torque 40N looks like with this setup? Thanks, I’m looking to upgrade my handle and this was an option.

Regards,

lance

Upvote 0

dh515

• Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Dave: I’m curious to know if the jigging world Eva handle is angled let’s say at 18 degrees or something? Also, can you send or post a picture of what the Torque 40N looks like with this setup? Thanks, I’m looking to upgrade my handle and this was an option.

Regards,

lance

From what I remember it is not angled. I’ll post a pic when I get home on Tuesday.

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Will the avet power handle fit on the sx raptor? Which parts do you have to buy to make it work and is it easy to do or do I need to have a professional do it?

Upvote 0

Winstondry

Winstondry
    Dec 16, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Alain
    Boat
    Ranger Z520L
    The Talica 50 handle does fit on a Talica 12/16 but you also must buy a couple other parts for the shift housing to align with handle screw holes. Nothing complicated but you need more than just the handle Talica 50 handle to make it work on the Talica 12/16. It has been a few years since I checked this option out so I am not sure exactly what parts are needed. Shimano service in Irvine can answer that question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I installed a TAC50 handle on my TAC20, I don’t recall needing any extra parts, it was a straight switch. However I did have a heck of a time loosening the nut from the original 20 handle.

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Island Tackle in Carson had Tiburon make some T Bars for Talica. They look awesome,

talica II.jpg talica.jpg

Upvote 0

dh515

• Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat

Regards,

lance

It does have an angle to it..
    95F092D5-6E5D-4BEA-8E4A-8AD7FC92A518.jpeg

AFCA7008-6645-4D93-A651-A0671FFBD41B.jpeg

Reactions: coastalwerks
    Upvote 0

Picklepork

May 29, 2012
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Gabriel
    Boat
    Can't afford
    Gabe can’t go to Island unattended, too much Rod building stuff there lol

I can't argue that..lol. Last time I made the trip down to Island Tackle, I was couple of hundred dollars poorer

I installed a TAC50 handle on my TAC20, I don’t recall needing any extra parts, it was a straight switch. However I did have a heck of a time loosening the nut from the original 20 handle.

I just ordered the Tac50ii handle for my 20ii. The Shimano rep said it was a straight swap.

I also ordered a Jigging World EVA handle for my Tac16ii

Upvote 0

dh515

• Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    While I have fished this reel for wahoo first with bombs and then with jigs, for me that is not its forte (too slow for me) and I have other reels for wahoo that are much faster. I plan on using it to fly line sardines. I think it would be ideal for 60#, great Guadalupe reel. I’m only doing one 15 day a year right now and this reel is a bit small for the fish around Hurricane or the buffer zone. I have not caught anything on it yet but haven’t fished it that much. The torque should be better with the slightly longer arm.

Upvote 0

Picklepork

May 29, 2012
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Gabriel
    Boat
    Can't afford
    I swapped my stock handled Talica20ii, for the Talica50ii t-bar paddle handle. It took less than 5 min with no additional parts required. You just need a 12mm wrench and a small screw driver.

Shimano part# TGT1936 Handle assembly. Ordered off the Shimano parts website. $60 + $6 shipping.

The 50ii handle is a few mm longer. Remove the 2 screws and remove the housing. Remove the lever and spring. The lever sits on a small pin. Loosen and remove the 12mm nut. When you remove the nut, the button comes out with it. Swap the handle out and reassemble. Pretty straight forward.
    20171018_193411.jpg
    20171018_193725.jpg
    20171018_193644.jpg
    20171018_193629.jpg
    20171018_193452.jpg
    20171018_195546.jpg

Upvote 0

nmthree

Nick M- So Cal
    Feb 9, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    None
    I can't argue that..lol. Last time I made the trip down to Island Tackle, I was couple of hundred dollars poorer

I just ordered the Tac50ii handle for my 20ii. The Shimano rep said it was a straight swap.

I also ordered a Jigging World EVA handle for my Tac16ii

When you order the handle is it only a handle or a handle and a longer
    I swapped my stock handled Talica20ii, for the Talica50ii t-bar paddle handle. It took less than 5 min with no additional parts required. You just need a 12mm wrench and a small screw driver.

Shimano part# TGT1936 Handle assembly. Ordered off the Shimano parts website. $60 + $6 shipping.

The 50ii handle is a few mm longer. Remove the 2 screws and remove the housing. Remove the lever and spring. The lever sits on a small pin. Loosen and remove the 12mm nut. When you remove the nut, the button comes out with it. Swap the handle out and reassemble. Pretty straight forward.
    View attachment 875414 View attachment 875418 View attachment 875419 View attachment 875420 View attachment 875421 View attachment 875422

View attachment 875414 View attachment 875418 View attachment 875419 View attachment 875420 View attachment 875421 View attachment 875422
    Than

Thank longer arm should help with leverage too...I need to do this to my Tac 20

Upvote 0

gnehekul

Mar 23, 2012
    los angeles
    Name
    Fishead
    Boat
    cash carrying ho
    Does these bigger handles affect casting? For the torque fanthom do you guys just drill out the old handle?

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Funny I've seen a bunch of accurate guys swap the t handles to the knob. Different strokes.
    I swap out all my T-bar style handles to Knobs. Can't stand that style. Every time I grab the handle, it's up side down. The Penn knobs work fine for me.

Upvote 0