3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
Hey Guys, I'm looking to replace the truck with an SUV :imgay:

My 03 Dakota has been a great truck for towing a 3000# boat, but it's totaled and a SUV is a better option for the family. I'm looking at a Dodge Durango, Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition, but not sure which one will be best for towing 3000#.

I'm looking at 2002-2005 SUV's, any comments on Durango's, Tahoe's or Expeditions of that age; engine, transmission, suspension or electronics problems? Any comments towing with an SUV as opposed to a truck? I'm under the impression that SUV's have the suspension softened and not designed to haul heavy loads like a truck, so a few modifications might be in order for the rear suspension.

skipjackray

Jun 12, 2006
Mission Bay
Name
Ray
Boat
35 Ft Cabo
3,000 lbs is pretty light. is that including trailer, gear, engine, and fuel?

Any of those vehicles should be able to tow 3,000 lbs just fine. Id stay away from dodge they are low quality. The Tahoe or Expedition would be a safe bet.

I tow 4,500 lbs with a 2005 V6 4runner and it tows just fine.

Jericho

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Rod
Boat
Skipjack 262, 24 Osprey Diesel 4 Sale
Check out the link at the bottom of my post. I have a few that might work for you.

Shawn Sadler

the grudge
Oct 9, 2006
Redlands Ca.
Name
shawn
Boat
N/A
Consider the mileage on the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<st1:place w:st="on">Durango</st1:place></st1:State>, I have a 2006 and get 14mpg in town and 14 on the freeway. I don&#8217;t even tow anything

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Boat and trailer is 3000#, 3500# with gear.

Shawn, what engine do you have in the Durango, I can see that mileage with the 360. My Dakota with the 4.7 V8 and auto tranny gets 17-19MPG highway, thinking the Durango wouldn't be far off that...

hotrodtuna

I'm a people person
Jun 8, 2006
Coronado
Name
Carl
Boat
34 Californian LRC
I have an 07 Tahoe and tow an 18" Wellcraft CC, and a 20" R.V......

Ask me any question about it and I will let you know...

In my opinon it is the BEST SUV by far to cover all the areas needed....plus I get 19-22 mpg, 07 has fuel management and burns ethynal (cheaper). It really hauls ass too, if you like that. Replaced an 06 F150 SuperCrew, never been happier.

Compromise

Dec 28, 2005
CA
Name
Rich
Boat
34 ft Sportfisher
Right now the best truck to pull anything 10,000 lbs or less is the new Toyota Tundra.

Bar none the best truck for the money and longevity.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Right now the best truck to pull anything 10,000 lbs or less is the new Toyota Tundra.

DUDE! :imgay: and getting a SUV instead of a truck :nutkick:LOLLOLLOL

This decision really sucks, getting rid of my truck (which I really like), taking over the wife's Accord because it gets better mileage and letting her take the "good" vehicle.

I can feel my nards shrinking already..

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline

Good luck pulling a 10k boat with a tundra..... Just because you can doesn't mean you should..... .02

Kurt

Mistadobalina
Jul 9, 2003
Clairemont
Visit site
Name
Kurt
Boat
%%%%%
A Tundra is NOT a 3/4 ton truck. Wouldn't even consider it at 10k or even 7K. That is 250/350 territory. You gotta stop that bitch somehow.

My brother in law pulled a 19 foot glass boat with a Suzuki Samari. Got lot's of looks but really iffy.

hotrodtuna

I'm a people person
Jun 8, 2006
Coronado
Name
Carl
Boat
34 Californian LRC
Kurt good advice, I was exposed to a manufacture's info track and was made aware of a breaking problem they had and currently have, problem is to much heat for rotors and pads to accept even when not pulling, so they were very worried about when people pulled with them and the whole break fade issue. Toyota has spent a boat load of money to try and retro~fit? Interesting, I want to make sure this does not turn into a maker against maker thread. I buy American, because I'm proud and it is good stuff!

Mot's Sr.

Feb 11, 2003
Valley Center, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Gary
Boat
Sold
I have an 07 Tahoe and tow an 18" Wellcraft CC, and a 20" R.V......

Ask me any question about it and I will let you know...

In my opinon it is the BEST SUV by far to cover all the areas needed....plus I get 19-22 mpg, 07 has fuel management and burns ethynal (cheaper). It really hauls ass too, if you like that. Replaced an 06 F150 SuperCrew, never been happier.
I have a 98 Suburban with a 350, love the thing, it gets about 14 around town, about 16-17 on the road. I pull my 19 Wellcraft CC and it does great, really great to throw everything inside where it's locked up to.

Before my son (Mots) got his 250 Ford deisel, I was towing our 25 foot Wellcraft Coastal with the Suburban, it wasn't for shit, got pushed all over the place and hard to stop it in a hurry if someone (which allways happens) cuts in front of you. I've had some scary moments for sure.

Also, if its been raining and the roads are wet, with that kind of weight it will slide all over the place and you can't stop it in a reasonable amount of time.

Don't bite off more than you can chew with thinking just becuse a vehicle is rated for something more than what it should be, that you will be ok and safe. :hali_parkutuli::hali_parkutuli:;)

Just my experience and opinion for whatever it's worth.

michael

Damn Bats !
Aug 13, 2005
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Michael
Boat
Ho
Guys, he's towing a 3,500 lb load!

Dan, any of those you listed above will handle that no problem.
Just pick the one you like.
I'd say get the Tahoe and stay away from the dodge mainly for the fuel milage.

Just my $0.02

saltyRed

Well-Known "Member"
May 28, 2007
san diego
Name
Jonathan
Boat
n/a
Well I don't have a boat right now so I can't account for that but I have an '06 durango and it rides sweet. I love it but I think the gas mileage is gonna be rough with any suv, it gets about the same as my mustang I traded in for it which was around 16 city.

Jun 11, 2006
South OC
Name
Rick
Boat
25, Whaler, "Twin Screws"
I have a 2005 Armada . 20 mpg highway. 17 city. rated for 10k but i wouldnt tow that much. very comfortable and never had a problem. i sold my expedition, no comparison

Jul 22, 2004
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
23' IMP WA "Hook - Up!"

Just my $0.02
Even the cute porshe !

Mean-Machine

Feb 21, 2005
socal
Name
Mean-Machine
Boat
someday
tahoe / Yukon, I think you can get 0% financing. No need to buy used. The new warranty is even better than before. These SUVs are bitchin!

Shawn Sadler

the grudge
Oct 9, 2006
Redlands Ca.
Name
shawn
Boat
N/A
Boat and trailer is 3000#, 3500# with gear.

Shawn, what engine do you have in the Durango, I can see that mileage with the 360. My Dakota with the 4.7 V8 and auto tranny gets 17-19MPG highway, thinking the Durango wouldn't be far off that...

Ive got the hemi, the wife loves it, it kinda sucks to drive somthing other than that, but the gas mileage does bit :_diarrhea_:

Duramax

Captain
Dec 29, 2006
Torrance, Ca.
Name
Rene`
Boat
Cabo 216, "Goju Shiho Sho"
Well I don't have a boat right now so I can't account for that but I have an '06 durango and it rides sweet. I love it but I think the gas mileage is gonna be rough with any suv, it gets about the same as my mustang I traded in for it which was around 16 city.
I like to see a durango that get's 16mpg in the city, not even on the hwy.
better get your self a new calculator or get that speedo checked out by a pro.:picknose:

mark rascon

May 7, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Name
Mark
Boat
no boat at this time
I've got an 2004 ford excursion with a 6.0 diesel and i wouldn't trade it for anything and you wouldn't evev know you have a 3000 lb boat behind you.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Not looking to get tied to another 5 years of car payments, just slap down $15K and drive it till the wheels fall off.

You guys are going to love this one, no sales tax in Nevada if you buy the vehicle from a private party :D

Blank

Jun 1, 2005
CA
Name
Blank
Boat
none

Just my $0.02
An expert non boat owner.

Mot's Sr.

Feb 11, 2003
Valley Center, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Gary
Boat
Sold
I'd get ahold of Jericho, he's got a nice one on his web site that's right on what your looking for, maybe he'll deliver to Nevada (or say he did) and work something our with you.

Not looking to get tied to another 5 years of car payments, just slap down $15K and drive it till the wheels fall off.

You guys are going to love this one, no sales tax in Nevada if you buy the vehicle from a private party :D