Sushi Rice Advice?

baaadlybent

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Usually I'm a straight sashimi guy but lately have a hankering for some sushi. So I bought some short grain rice. Cooked it up in my rice cooker, prepped the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt, and added it all and mixed it up and tried to cool it. I'm okay with my measures because it tastes like I like it to. But kind of mushi. I mixed it up in a large plastic bowl. I don't have the wood sushi rice bowl. Is it that important? I looked on Amazon and they want $70 plus for a bowl. Holy cow! Any tips on my rice? I cooked it yesterday and put it in the fridge. Actually tastes ok tonight but I want to perfect it eventually. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
We use jasmine rice and I add one tablespoon of rice wine vinegar for each cup of un-cooked rice. That's it.

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
Don't use day old rice

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
I tried a lot of different ways and found the best was to invest in a rice cooker like the Zojirushi and use Botan Calrose rice. Makes perfect sushi rice every time. Rinsing or soaking the rice is a must.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
I tried a lot of different ways and found the best was to invest in a rice cooker like the Zojirushi and use Botan Calrose rice. Makes perfect sushi rice very time. Rinsing or soaking the rice is a must.
Rice should be thoroughly rinsed with cold, tap water till all the starch is washed off, and the water is clear. Adding rice wine vinegar is optional, but using a rice cooker makes the product come out most excellent, and do use it right away.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Another suggestion, we use Japonica sushi short white rice bought at an Asian food store. Continue to rinse your rice until the water is clear. Japanese rice is coated so that it remains dry in the package. Then do your thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I tried a lot of different ways and found the best was to invest in a rice cooker like the Zojirushi and use Botan Calrose rice. Makes perfect sushi rice every time. Rinsing or soaking the rice is a must.
I agree the Zojirushi makes a difference. Pay the price for good rice. The Umami is most excellent.

about $200 on amazon
Amazon product

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
200 bucks for a rice cooker!?Dude are you high?:eek:

Cal rose rice in a $15 rice cooker.2 scoops rice and 3 scoops water click and walk away.

Upvote 0

mrsea

May 12, 2005
San Diego
Name
JohnC.
Boat
34' Radovich,Mister C
200 bucks for a rice cooker!?Dude are you high?:eek:
/QUOTE]
Costco has a basic Zohurishi for 80 or 90 bucks.
it is the ultimate spend for rice lovers.

-JohnC.

Upvote 0

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
We bought one of them wood rice bowl things from Marukai (Japanese market) 10 years or so ago and I don't think I would have spent more than 30 bucks for it....that and a good rice cooker, good rice and you should be good. Fan, stir, season, fan, stir, fan, stir, season, fan, stir.........this is my wife's job.
You can make your own rice seasoning or buy it "ready mixed".

Upvote 0

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
thanks for all the input. I bought a wood bowl exactly like the one above and in fact have the same rice cooker now for four years. The wood bowl was the trick. My rice has been perfect since I started using it a few weeks ago. I think it is all about the wood getting rid of the excess moisture in the rice so it doesn't get all gummy. Thanks again.

Reactions: Cast Gold
Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
When I dont feel like making rice I just go to the Korean market and buy the cooked rice it works great and it's quick.

View attachment 608014

Uh.. NO! Lol, ive been making sushi for years n cannot make quality sushi rice to save my life. Any sushi chef wud prob laugh at it. I guess thats why it takes them years of making rice before they r even allowed to touch fish. Ive always wanted to take one of those 2 wk sushi courses. Mine is good but id like to polish the skills. Sorry, no tips to offer.

Upvote 0

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
I always add 1/2 cup of sake to my sushi rice - substitute for some water. Gives it the correct flavour.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
thanks for all the input. I bought a wood bowl exactly like the one above and in fact have the same rice cooker now for four years. The wood bowl was the trick. My rice has been perfect since I started using it a few weeks ago. I think it is all about the wood getting rid of the excess moisture in the rice so it doesn't get all gummy. Thanks again.

Yes, the WOOD bowl makes a difference, and for the reason you stated--wood absorbs moisture. The other advice--washing the rice thoroughly, mixing and cooling it quickly, using only short grain rice designed for sushi, also holds true. I don't have a wood bowl, but spread the rice out on a wood cutting board, and that works too.

A couple of other thoughts--add maybe 2/3 of the vinegar all over the rice and stir and cool quickly so that it absorbs better, adding the rest slowly, stopping if the rice can't seem to absorb more. I also use a 1:1 ratio of rice to water when cooking the rice and its cooked fine and still can absorb more liquid.

Upvote 0