Susan & Carl's Surf Perch Derby 2018

BajaMarita

Fish Reporter
Aug 2, 2007
San Quintin, Baja CA
Name
Marita Melville
Boat
Need a Captain or Boat in San Quintin, let me know.
8th annual Carl and Sue's Surf Perch Derby has ended. Here's the top 3 biggest fish winners. Followed by lots of pictures of all the fun and festivities today! We had 199 paid entrants this year. What a great turn out.

This entire tournament could not happen without the help of all the sponsors/donors. We thank them all. Here's a list of many contributors to this years tournament. When you see them, please thank them! Walt and Joanne Jeffrey, Steve Carson and the Penn Fishing University. SaltJunkies/Joseph Zaragoza, the McDennon family, Rick and Kelly Woodley, Nick & Jenny Gula, Dana Stewert, Pamela Griggs, Rudolph & Bill, Debbie Reed, Marita Melville, Ofelia Medina Guerra, Daniel Powell, Kent & Diane Brodwolf, Norman Gehrke, Joe Martin,
Beverly Hawley-Maritn, Cliff Vine, Jen Farnsworth Jessop, & Dave Jessop, John Cossey & family. Dave Holiday & Nelly Yanez, Amy Leaf Williams ,Ray Williams, Dick Floyd, Don Selski, Julie and Graham Parkes. Pat Anderson, Doug Fields, Eric Brusig, Drew Kodl, Karl Stewart, Pat Patricia Schindler, Lorenzo Biedebach/Campo Lorenzo, Jamie's Pangas, Esemralda Banderaz, Tiburons Pangas, "Tilachi" Laura Aviña.

Surf fishing........
fish.jpg

I caught one..... yay
fish1.jpg

First place winner with a 2.1 pound perch. Santiago Garcia, Congratulations!! He won 4500 pesos!
fish2.jpg

2nd place winner Jose Maldonado won 3150 pesos
fish3.jpg

3rd place winner is Kenny Kreman 2300 pesos!

fish4.jpg

Jen putting up her and Penny's flag on flag hill!
fish5.jpg

Penny with her first ever surf fish! Congratulations, Penny!
fish6.jpg

Debbie with her first fish of the day! Yay!
fish7.jpg

Some of the prizes given away today. Many thanks to Steve Carson of Penn Fishing University! Thank you Steve!
fish8.jpg

Jaime always comes up with great flags. Good job, Jaime!
fish9.jpg

Lorena from our little store tried to weigh this fish! hahahahahahaha
fish10.jpg

Lots of excitement waiting to see who wins something.
fish11.jpg

Trying to figure out the big fish winners. Lots of fish caught today. Making the final decisions!
fish12.jpg

We had such a great crowd of terrific people!
fish13.jpg

Cristina de Hoff won a prize! Look Ron Gomez Hoff you won one, too. I think she should keep both for herself!
fish14.jpg

Rick Woodley was a prize winner.
fish15.jpg

Thanks Joseph Zaragoza
fish16.jpg

fish17.jpg

fish20.jpg

Thank you to Sue and Carl for all your hard work in making this the best "Biggest Little Fishing Tournament in Baja" Ya'll kick ass!!!!!
fish21.jpg

3 winners! Beverly Hawley-Martin, Penny Freeland0 & Todd Philips

fish18.jpg

This young man won a prize today. Quite a few young people won today. It was great!
fish19.jpg

Last edited:

Susana

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 23, 2006
San Quintin
Name
Susan Duggan
Boat
21 Seaswirl
Marita! Thank you so much for the great report and pictures! We really appreciate all the hard work you put into the tournament as well. You are very much appreciated!

BajaMarita

Fish Reporter
Aug 2, 2007
San Quintin, Baja CA
Name
Marita Melville
Boat
Need a Captain or Boat in San Quintin, let me know.
Marita! Thank you so much for the great report and pictures! We really appreciate all the hard work you put into the tournament as well. You are very much appreciated!

Awww thank you Sue. It was a great day.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Nice tournament. I read about it every year, but don't know about it until after the event. Perhaps an announcement here on BD (Baja Section) would get more people to enter? Or do you have a mailing list?

I'm sure you have announcements on other Baja Sites, but I don't read them.

Reactions: BajaMarita

Susana

Jul 23, 2006
San Quintin
Name
Susan Duggan
Boat
21 Seaswirl
Thanks. It is announced through Facebook on my personal page, Susan Duggan and also on Facebook on the Talk Baja page. I announce the date in December on my personal page. You can friend request me on my page to stay informed. Maybe we'll see you next year!

Reactions: BajaMarita

joezee1986

Baja Bound Salt Junkies
Sep 5, 2012
Chico, CA
Name
Joseph Zaragoza
Boat
Last Cast Ensenada / Mag Bay Lodge
Awesome @Susana im glad to be a part of it one of these years I’ll actually make it down in person!

Reactions: Susana