Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Just curious if anyone else is tired of being harassed for a dfg survey EVERY single time they take their boat out of the water? I mean come on at some point it gets annoying which I reached a while back. First couple times I participated. Once I had to launch my boat to change out some bunks. The guy watched me launch, tie up, come back and pull my rig right back out and what do you know he wants to survey me.sigh....ok I'm done whining

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I did it quite a bit as well. Now I just say... "Sorry, I'm busy".

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    When someone knocks at my door telling me they are so and so trying to sell me about this that and the other thing I always say"sorry,I dont want to waste your time".They will always reply with"oh,your not wasting my time".Then I reply with"well,your wasting my time".

I believe there is nothing about these surveys that are beneficial to us fishing people.When they find out that everyone is catching calicos at the green tanks,guess what?Thats probably where the next target for mlpa is gonna be.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    what you say can and WILL be used against you.

i ask if i'm required to participate, they say no so i say no thank you.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    The info you give them will be used for more closures:
    How did you do?
    We caught limits of bass......Closures must be working for the growing population of fish....

How did you do?
    We got skunked.......Not enough closures for the population of fish.

I just tell them I fished in Mexico

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
    Jun 21, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Hey you
    Boat
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    No thanks.

It's that simple.

You might have to say it more than once but after the 2nd or 3rd time they get the drift.

I've yet to participate in a survey.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I have no problem participating.If those volunteers keep getting the "no" from everyone its going to end up being wardens doing the survey,you wont be able to tell them no.

Reactions: lougio
    Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
    Oct 19, 2004
    Palos Verdes
    Name
    Jim Salazar
    Boat
    18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
    Commercial guys and SAC boats have logs (electronic) that they fill out and the DFW can keep track of their catch thru their logs....Recreational anglers only have a few report cards that we return on only a few species...everything else is a guess on our catch...the Department relies on these "creel surveys" to help them determine the Rec catch...without any real info, the Department will estimate (GUESS) about the Rec catch. When the lobster report card was started and the first returns were at only about 15% the Department was estimating (based on the 15% returns) that we were catching about 60% of the Commercial harvest. Since then the returns on report cards are up tp about 50% and the DFW estimate of our catch has gone down....SO...it comes down to deciding whether you want the Department to GUESS on our statistical share or use actual data...it's up to you...CCA CAL SUPPORTS THE DFW CREEL SURVEYS!
    You may be upset about the MPA's but what are you doing to prevent more closures or to help us fight the current ones?
    JOIN THE CCA CAL....

Jim / Saba Slayer

Hobie_Team_Avitar.gif

CCA_White_SeaBass_Sticker_CMYK-2.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

slapazz

Dec 20, 2010
    west hills
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    17' sportcraft
    Usually, we did. Then we started saying were in a hurry and rather not. Funny thing is, wardens seem to show up a LOT while we are cleaning the boat now. Seems to be a flag if you don't participate.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    Commercial guys have logs that they fill out and the DFW can keep track of their catch thru their logs....Recreational anglers only have a few report cards that we return on only a few species...everything else is a guess on our catch...the Department relies on these "creel surveys" to help them determine the Rec catch...without any real info, the Department will estimate (GUESS) about the Rec catch. When the lobster report card was started and the first returns were at only about 15% the Department was estimating (based on the 15% returns) that we were catching about 60% of the Commercial harvest. Since then the returns on report cards are up tp about 50% and the DFW estimate of our catch has gone down....SO...it comes down to deciding whether you want the Department to GUESS or use actual data...it's up to you...CCA CAL SUPPORTS THE DFW CREEL SURVEYS!

Jim / Saba Slayer

Hobie_Team_Avitar.gif

so does this mean a change in regs that would reflect this info? increased limits, longer season, increased number of traps allowed, or anything positive for the fisherman? until changes are made that reflect the information given, i see no benefit.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Just be nice to the poor kid and do the survey. The whole thing is a joke for public consumption anyway. It makes it look like the DFW is actually doing what they never did, assess fish stock. IMO...it's nothing more than a PR thing after the DFW lost all credibility with the public post-MLPA.

Someone needs to explain to me how the DFW accounts for the good old 90-10 rule in this survey. I've never been asked about my skill level (novice, so so, SWBA skillz), conditions in my zone, techniques applied, did I fish during slack, falling or rising tide. Nothing of any value is asked except wadd'ya catch and where...lame.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Rainbow Surprise
    I answer it pretty much every time. It's only a couple quick questions. I fished X days, I targeted calicos, I caught calicos, I released calicos, fished dana, here's my zip.

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 5, 2008
    Descanso
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
    Many of us can catch fish in the worst conditions. Many of us cant catch fish in the best of them. It takes many years to figure out how to catch fish in such conditions as well as the variety of species. They all have there own specific habitat and feeding styles. Many of us thought the ocean was dry of fish at one time or another when in fact we just hadn't figured out how to catch them on that given day under that set of conditions. I feel telling them fishing stank I didn't catch sheet has a negative impact. I do participate and tell them what I caught and where I also tell them about the conditions for the day explaining reasons for my success or failure. In other words the fish are there they just didn't come out to play. I also let them know its hard to catch and release with so many hungry dogs waiting for an easy meal.

Upvote 0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    I just voice my opinion and tell them I'm tired of every time being asked. Again if it was more spread out I would be more willing to disclose my catch. Also some of those questions are irrelivent to fishing. Where I live has no bearing on fish populations in an ocean, nearby lake maybe but not the ocean

Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
    Oct 19, 2004
    Palos Verdes
    Name
    Jim Salazar
    Boat
    "Also some of those questions are irrelivent to fishing. Where I live has no bearing on fish populations in an ocean, nearby lake maybe but not the ocean"
    That question is actually pretty important as it can help with the economic impact data about our fishing...
    ...As an example... you travel 30 miles from home to fish = x amount of fuel $.
    Proving 'the value of our fishing to the economy' is important when it comes to negotiating with the various agencies...data is important to both sides.
    Jim / Saba Slayer

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I just voice my opinion and tell them I'm tired of every time being asked. Again if it was more spread out I would be more willing to disclose my catch. Also some of those questions are irrelivent to fishing. Where I live has no bearing on fish populations in an ocean, nearby lake maybe but not the ocean
    You said you were done whining in the original post.You can just tell them "no thanks" and they leave you alone.Ive never had them pressure me to survey.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

Johnny Sixgun

Go where the fleet isn't
    Sep 7, 2014
    N32.45 W117
    Name
    John
    Boat
    TTT
    I probably ask them more questions than they ask me. They have all the current info on where and what. They've always been happy to answer whatever I asked. I've used what they've told me to catch fish the next day.
    Yes, it's a bonus when it's a cute girl, there's a few of them..
    They're usually done w their questions by the time I have the boat ready to leave.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    I usually tell them their welcome to meet us at the wash down,they can measure the fish to their hearts content as long as they stay out of our way.As far as location I fished I'd have to kill them if I told them.
    Last year they kept asking us when we were leaving in the afternoon to go hooping.They always asked how long we would be out.I always told them "Till were done" :)

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    Many of us can catch fish in the worst conditions. Many of us cant catch fish in the best of them. It takes many years to figure out how to catch fish in such conditions as well as the variety of species. They all have there own specific habitat and feeding styles. Many of us thought the ocean was dry of fish at one time or another when in fact we just hadn't figured out how to catch them on that given day under that set of conditions. I feel telling them fishing stank I didn't catch sheet has a negative impact. I do participate and tell them what I caught and where I also tell them about the conditions for the day explaining reasons for my success or failure. In other words the fish are there they just didn't come out to play. I also let them know its hard to catch and release with so many hungry dogs waiting for an easy meal.

i don't know this for sure but my bet is there is no spot on their survey sheet for "misc info provided by angler" . im certain the questions asked is the only info reported. i'd also bet the farm that these questions have been carefully crafted to seem benign.

with the info jim has given about lobster card data, we'll see what if any changes are made. funny that i didnt get a response to it?? perhaps i make too much sense? time will tell.

any of you naysayers that choose to participate in these surveys should note......my questions in regards to the lobster card and reg changes i posed to jim were left unanswered and ignored. the proof is in the pudding......

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
    West Coast
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    It floats
    Been hassled a few times at MDR and Dana. The mdr girl is friendly and knows how to fish so I'll give her a fish count whether released or not and she'll usually shoot some good info my way on where and what bit that day. But she always approaches cautiously and starts with "would you mind"... The few I've had in Dana have been different people all barely older than me maybe 21-25. They walk up like wardens trying to demand respect and it's a joke. Those guys are told to beat it and it usually takes me saying it 3-4 times before they quit. I'll give a warden whatever help they need but the snobby science geeks get under my skin when they just hassle you to no end.

Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
    Oct 19, 2004
    Palos Verdes
    Name
    Jim Salazar
    Boat
    Kindafishy...It's old news and I figured you had heard...(I didn't realize I had to respond to your vague question)...the DFG Commission adopted the new regs to go into effect in the 2017-18 lobster season.
    The Commercials will get a 300 trap limit and some tweaks to their regs...we get to mark our floats with our Go Numbers and the Opener will be changed to 6am Saturday instead of Midnight, hoop netters can also bring their catch on board to measure the Bugs, and divers get to carry a spear while diving for lobster...pretty simple stuff...it could have been worse!
    We will not have a seasonal limit or have a ban on the conical style nets.
    These regs were worked out through the Lobster Advisory Committee and as one of two hoopnet reps during the meetings and discussions, I used the only concrete data that was available...the lobster report card. With that data and the info from Travis Buck (a DFW employee that tallies the report card data) I defended our right to hoop and dive for lobsters.
    How's your pudding' proof? If you need more info please PM me and we can talk.

Maybe...just maybe...if a few of you rebel rousers went to a meeting or two you just might know what's happening...If you don't go to any meetings then at least you should think about joining the CCA CAL and supporting those that do!
    It's always easier to moan and groan on the internet.....!!!!

Jim / Saba Slayer

Hobie_Team_Avitar.gif

Reactions: Jhandyman
    Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    from your original post you stated that....

" When the lobster report card was started and the first returns were at only about 15% the Department was estimating (based on the 15% returns) that we were catching about 60% of the Commercial harvest. Since then the returns on report cards are up tp about 50% and the DFW estimate of our catch has gone down."

so if the recreational catch "is down" compared to DFW estimates, which if i understand it right means recreational lobster fisherman are having less of a impact than previously thought. so it stands to reason that there's room to loosen up the regs a bit? or do i not understand it correctly?
    instead there's added regulation and rules, pretty simple stuff i agree, but your happy with, "it could have been worse". i directed this at you because i know there's probably nobody else on this site as involved as you are, so i was hoping for insight as to how this information is being used to benefit the average fisherman?
    i would prefer to keep the discussion public if that's ok with you, as this information is pertinent to all of us.

Kindafishy...It's old news and I figured you had heard...(I didn't realize I had to respond to your vague question)...the DFG Commission adopted the new regs to go into effect in the 2017-18 lobster season.
    The Commercials will get a 300 trap limit and some tweaks to their regs...we get to mark our floats with our Go Numbers and the Opener will be changed to 6am Saturday instead of Midnight, hoop netters can also bring their catch on board to measure the Bugs, and divers get to carry a spear while diving for lobster...pretty simple stuff...it could have been worse!
    We will not have a seasonal limit or have a ban on the conical style nets.
    These regs were worked out through the Lobster Advisory Committee and as one of two hoopnet reps during the meetings and discussions, I used the only concrete data that was available...the lobster report card. With that data and the info from Travis Buck (a DFW employee that tallies the report card data) I defended our right to hoop and dive for lobsters.
    How's your pudding' proof? If you need more info please PM me and we can talk.

Maybe...just maybe...if a few of you rebel rousers went to a meeting or two you just might know what's happening...If you don't go to any meetings then at least you should think about joining the CCA CAL and supporting those that do!
    It's always easier to moan and groan on the internet.....!!!!

Jim / Saba Slayer

Hobie_Team_Avitar.gif

Upvote 0

Latest posts