Surface Iron Rod Shoot-out..!! UC vs. Calstar

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by muymacho74, Apr 25, 2016.

1. muymacho74

muymacho74 Surface Iron Maniac

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    Me and my Bro Bill put them to the test at Castaic Lake, California. The purpose of this test was to see how the two makers of surface Iron Jigsticks compare when it comes down to distance and ease of casting. Everybody knows of the old faithfull Calstar sticks and more recently the increasing popularity of United Composites. My Buddy Bill and I both have fished Calstar forever, but were recently introduced to the UC Jigsticks. And what an impression they made on us. So we decided to do a side by side comparison of the jig sticks that we collectively own. These are our findings.

First in the line up were:
    Calstar - 100 Mag, GF100J, Glass 100J, 90J Mag, and 6485L,
    Versus:
    Uniited Composites - CE1000 Del Mar, CE1000 Wahoo, US100 Monster, and US 90 Monster.
    Jigs used - Salas 7X, Salas JPOT, Tady 45, and Tady C.
    Reels used - Saltiga 40's, Trinidad 16A, Andros 5a, and Metaloid 5. All loaded with Braid/short topshots.

We tried all sorts of combinations of the above mention rods and reels to get an idea of the RODS. (i.e) same rods/different reels & same reels/different rods. With that being said we understand that there is a million variables that can effect this or that but we are not Critics nor is this a critic review so please dont ask a bunch of critic questions. We are just two Bros that love throwing the Surface Iron and figured this would be alot better way to spend a Sunday since the coast was too windy to get on a sportboat. And hopefully this will help some of our fellow or future jig slingers.

What we found is that in every Rod Reel Combination for throwing the 7X the UC's, CE1000 Del Mar, CE1000 Wahoo, and US 90 Monster all cast further than the Calstar's 100 Mag, GF100J, and 90J Mag. Increased distance was between 10-20 yards, but most impressively was that it was done with about 1/3 less effort in the cast.

Throwing the Tady 45 with UC's US100 Monster, and US90 Monster vs. the Calstar Glass 100J, and 6485L, the same results were found. Increased distance and alot less effort to get it there. In this comparison however, what really stood out was the ability to throw both the 7X and the 45 by the US90 Monster. As my Buddy Bill put it, "if you have to have just one jigstick to throw both 7X's and 45's, this is it".

Finally, JPOT and Tady C. The US100 Monster really stands alone in this catagory of jigs. As much as I love my 6485L it cannot compare to the distance you get out of the US100 Monster. (Yes I am aware of the difference in length). Once again, I am impressed in the ability of the US100 Monster to throw two different size jigs, in this case both 45 and C.

Overall, we found the results to be similar in all the Rods we compared. Increased distance with less effort using the United Composites. And I dont mean subtle difference either. Not sure what this can be credited to, Im sure UC staff can answer that one for you if you want to know. But the UC Rods are alot lighter, have thinner diameters, seem to catch less wind resistance (if you will), and seems to whip around alot faster and with less effort. They do load alot different than a Calstar. The only way I can describe it, it is that they load up like glass but recoil more like Graphite. Resulting in a faster action that really launches the iron. Sure these rods take a little getting used to, but well worth the learning curve if you ask me.

As we all know Jig sticks come down to personal preference and my report is based on me and Bills style and likes in rods/actions. I am sure that opinions will vary and someone out there can put together different match ups, but as stated above we only compared what we own. We do not work at, or for, any tacke shop or rod manufacture so its impossible to compare everything that is out there. We only compared what we have based on years (decades) of fishing and recently a strong liking to UC jig stiks.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Sounds like a fun Sunday. Any Stripers? Beats yard work.

muymacho74 likes this.
  3. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-ยข"
    Nice to see a good jig-chuck-a-rama. I likewise went with a friend a couple weeks back to chuck some jigs at a local pier and get some jig-action previews as well as compare reel performance. We looked at Newell versus Daiwa casting performance, and JRI versus other jigs in swimming qualities. Might be a good idea for someone to sponsor a day like this where you could huck jigs on different setups without getting on a boat. Would be fun for all involved.

I highly recommend this as a practical exercise too. Lets you know which reels need new bearings or parts, as well as what condition the line is in 50-100yds down in your reels. I know one of my 500s needs bushings and to be relieved of some twisty line.

-Mike

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    socalangler22 and muymacho74 like this.
  4. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Interesting....and believable.

5. here'smymule

here'smymule Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tony Rezzato
    Are those "Monster" rods clones of the ATC's that Tady marketed a decade ago?
    I have two. Lifetime guarantee, too! Oh, that's right. Went out of business.

6. daweez

daweez Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    no boat here
    I picked up the ce1000 wahoo at the beginning of last season. Easily my favorite jig stick. 20lb+ yellows were not a problem. Pulled on the del Mar recently and plan on adding it to the collection. Great rods

muymacho74 likes this.
  7. muymacho74

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    Great time with a great friend! No Stripers, but that would have been a nice cherry topper. Water level is rising over there so Stripes are in deeper water.

fishordie likes this.
  8. muymacho74

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    I couldn't agree with you more. Keeps you sharp especially when new gear is involved. Builds confidence knowing what your gear is capable of. This way you spend more time fishing instead of figuring stuff out on the boat.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  9. vinegardc5

vinegardc5 Newbie

Name:
    ving
    Boat:
    hobie
    I own the us900 monster, ce1000 wahoo, ce900wahoo.Mainly fish the jri's. The us900 monster is my go to jig stick. Caught a 50lb and 70-75lb blue fin this year on it. Plenty of big yellows has been caught on all 3 jig sticks since last year. Got into a wide open bite last week on 15-18 lb yellows and got to try the 100j and i feel like it cast a little further with less effort. But when fighting the fish the uc rods would destroy these fish compared to the 100j. All rods had the p332 with Brian young drags. I'm currently looking into trying new rods, hopefully I can get my hands on a cui blank.

SPENCERWASHERE and johnny12fish like this.
  10. muymacho74

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    Wish I could help you with that one. Not sure where the technology came from on these rods. As mentioned in the original post I am not on the UC Staff, but hopefully at some point one of them will get on this thread and maybe answer some of the technical questions.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    fishordie likes this.
  11. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    It was indeed a very fun day with cool people. There are not too many times and too many places to have had such a wide array of rods all in the same locale. Was definitely worth the drive up from SD for the day.

fishordie and muymacho74 like this.
  12. muymacho74

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    Tady used to sell the CUI blanks, now the only source is Rick Marin down at H&M Landing. I spoke with him last week and no CUI blanks currently in stock. Seems like they sell out pretty fast when he does get them. If you like the 100J you will probably like the CUI. It is a very slow rod that bends all the way down to the butt cap. Throws a tady 45 a country mile though.

fishordie likes this.
  13. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Phillip,

I also compared some of the same rods a month ago; CE1000 Wahoo and a US 90 Monster versus Calstar's T100J and a T90J. In general, the UC US & CE models were much lighter and easier to create increased rod speed which equates to more jig velocity and therefore more casting distance. Distance is one factor to consider...

More important than casting distance (to me) are feel, balance and strength. I pulled against a 20 lbs. weight for comparison. The bend of the all-glass 90J & 100J I tested felt smoother and stronger than the UC US & CE. While they weighed more, the balance with the reel felt better with the 100J & 90J.

In conclusion, I did have fun and now understand any of these rods would be effective surface jig slingers with an appropriate reel in the right hands. Depending on your personal preferences. I also discovered I need to keep practicing :)

- Jeff Burroughs

SKOD, skotz, nmthree and 3 others like this.
  14. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I always wanted to get a big striper or large mouth on a surface iron. Like a rainbow trout colored 7x or something like that.

muymacho74 likes this.
  15. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Hi Jeff,

You are indeed correct, "in the right hands". Everybody is different and feel different things. I experienced the same as you with the lightness and velocity casting the jigs but the opposite that you did with the bend of the rods, I thought the UC had it all over the glass sticks. Perception is a funny thing indeed! We did have a newbie out with us learning to cast and he did get some pretty darn good casts in....with the glass. He could not cast any of the UC stuff or any of the graphite Calstar rods worth a darn. PLUS, I tried casting the glass 100j after the UC stuff and I could not cast that worth beans. Different strokes for different folks..!!! But that is what makes it all fun for us, no? I am just waiting for him to hang a fish on the glass rod so we can tease him until it gets in the boat! I cant wait for that. Its fun being able to compare and debate all this good stuff...!!!

skotz, fishordie and muymacho74 like this.
  16. muymacho74

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    Jeff,
    No doubt that the Calstar are great Jig Rods. I fished them for many many moons killing Yellows, Tuna, and even a Wahoo on surface iron. I found that the lighter UC does take some getting used to thats for sure, but I personally like having just the weight of the jig on the end of the jigstick during a cast, (the UC feels almost weightless while casting). So in the beginning, sure it feels off balance because the weight that we are so used to fighting against is no longer there. In return all that effort goes straight to Jig velocity as you stated. I personally have not pulled on anything with them yet, (I just got my aresenal of UC's complete) but from all the information I've gathered is that the strength combined with the fast recoil of the UC's is what keeps the pressure on the fish and ends the battle fast. Not too sure if the weight test you did reflected the rods ability to recoil during battle such as when they shake their heads ect.. What difference have you noticed while fighting a fish? As I've said I have not had the chance to go pull on anything yet so Im curious to know.

fishordie likes this.
  17. muymacho74

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    Yeah definitely on my bucket list to get a big Striper on the Iron.

fishin_kid and fishordie like this.
  18. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    There's no wrong choices here as everybody's preference is different. I grew up using Calstar and Sabre glass rods for irons. Over the years have switched to Calstar and Seeker composite rods because they're lighter. So when in recent years with rods like UC and Phenix on the scene I was very stoked to try them because they're alot lighter. But in the end I'm back to using a 90J MAG and Seeker 7X because casting heavier surface irons with a UC stick feels like casting a big torpedo sinker with a 20lb rod. The balance does feel 'off' like you referenced.

It must have been fun using all those rods!

fishordie, Seanvdp5 and muymacho74 like this.
  19. screamingreel

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Have not caught anything on the UCs, Phillip. They belong to a friend. That is why we got together to compare. He had never used the all glass sticks either.

However, considering my experience with composite and graphite bait sticks, I am confident all-graphite and composite rods will have faster recoil than all-glass rods. They felt that way against a dead weight too.

When long range fishing, I typically use a BTG 90J and a GG 690J for surface/skip jigs (depending on the fish size and my mood). I use the all glass rods for surf fishing because they are indestructible!

- Jeff Burroughs

fishordie and muymacho74 like this.
  20. screamingreel

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    It must have been fun using all those rods![/QUOTE]
    Oh my, I remember my fist 30+ lbs. YT on a 11' all-glass rod 20 years ago...OUCH! The deckhand handed it off to me and I paid the price. The entire crew had a great time giving me grief about it too!

Yes, isn't perception and preference everything? Debating jig rods on a web site is like talking about love...not nearly as fun as the real thing, but better than nothing!

The debate continues...

- Jeff Burroughs

fishin_kid and muymacho74 like this.