Surface Iron ( Retarded Tady's ) vs. BFT - Advanced Warfare

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by D-spot, Jun 21, 2015.

1. D-spot

D-spot Fishing....... Where You're Not.......

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    23' Neptune CC "Non-Stop"
    Short Version....4 Tuna on Retarded Tady 45's
    ( 3 MW and 1 BW) and 1 on Slow Trolled Dine at a Paddy 5 SW of the 182... Great Weather and Crazy Fishing.....

Long Version
    Dropped in at SI at 4:30 am in hopes of Dines at EB. Didn't help much. Mostly Chovie, had 14 Dines out of 10 passes. Game plan for the day.... BFT on Surface Iron. Had some great intel from several friends who had been getting good numbers of BFT and YFT earlier in the week on the Iron. (Bucket list item of mine.) Got just about all of the other species on it but.. the BFT has escaped me for a while. Had been watching currents and temps all week with fish locations. ( Thanks FD ). Focused on a great little spot away from where I expected the most traffic.( 38/37 )Water temps looked really good with a 3 degree TB. Headed straight for it. Crossed the 9 saw a fleet sitting on a Paddy ... Not interested ...kept going. Hit a few dry paddies at about 10 and 12 miles out. Small meter marks but no play...At about 16 miles W and 3 above the border we see the boils off in the distance covered in birds. Game On... Grab the Iron....Fish were moving fast and just going nuts... figured out what direction they were heading....slide in at about 15 knots kill the motor and THROW.... 3 Irons fly.... Hit the water and 2 cranks it's on... Explosions on 2 of the 3 one is hooked ( Mint / White Retarded Tady 45) and coming to Poppa... My buddy JC makes quick work of his and it's in the boat in under 15 minutes... Nice grade we are all blown away at what just happened......BFT on the Surface Iron WTF..... SWEEEETTTTT

IMG_0576.JPG

Bled it out and dropped in the box. Everyone by now is stoked..... Set back up ...got on em and throw...3 Irons in ( 2 MW and 1 BW all T45's one is Retarded).... 1 Explosion and fish on... JC again ....30 lb. grade ...#2 in the box..... Repeat ..... Same Fucking out come.... JC gets #3 on the MW Retarded Tady..... This is fricken unbelievable.... We are all alone and getting them on the iron....Next stop I get us right up in tight ....they turn and come right at the boat....Irons fly ...This time it's 4 ( My BW Tady is Retarded too.) ...3 cranks and the water erupts with multiple fish going after the same Iron....This time its mine and I'm on.... Fish ate the BW about 50 feet in front of me and what a site...Nice grade fish for me in the boat...

IMG_0592.JPG

We were able to fish on this school for about 30 minutes before they dropped out for good....Went 4 for 11...with about 30 Explosions on the surface... Treble hooks were problematic with the hook :ups ....Won't be next time...All 4 BFT were caught on what we call Retarded Tady's ...I can assure you there is a difference between the Surface Irons out there as I'm sure some of you already know. There were 4 Tady's fished today... The 2 perfect models did not work ...the 2 defective models or "Retarded Tady's" did. All fish that we found willing to play were on the Cold side of the Temp Break...66.8 the other side was about 70.

We turned and headed west toward the 182...Hit a couple dry paddies for Nada...Found one nice one about 5 miles SW of the 182 (38/38) Had some great meter marks so we fished it "Donut Style".....

IMG_0584.JPG

We dropped a few of the Dines in to troll and started doing Donuts around the Paddy at about 25 yards out... A few minutes into it my buddy Jerry gets bit and is on....

IMG_0578.JPG

Great fight on light tackle (20lb.)... Gets it in and its a nice grade Tuna...Sweeet....

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

Number 5 is in the boat....

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

Was a great day on the water only ran 90 miles.... Burned 34.5 gallons of fuel ....Bucket List Item accomplished...Surface Iron on Tuna was a blast...If you haven't tried it... you need to....

IMG_0598.JPG

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. crazy cajun

crazy cajun Bait Hog

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Fish-n-Dive, YakAttack
    Make sure to bring that retarded tady on Monday. I sure would like to steal, I mean see it.

bhawk0030, D-spot and Abovewater like this.
  3. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Oh hell yes!!!

Nice work un-puzzling the puzzle!!!!

4. Abovewater

Abovewater Newbie

Name:
    Komron
    Boat:
    Ocean Kayak
    You mean "mentally handicapped" iron. Jk. I have spent hours lookin for special iron this year, that has been touched by the angles.

SO stoked reading this and that you have the same bucket list item and love that your plan came together. I can't wait for my turn. Great work man!

:appl:

bhawk0030 likes this.
  5. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    I now have a new bucket list item, too. I am looking at the surface irons that I am taking on an 8-day this week, and I'm worried because I know they are all good swimmers!

Did you guys let the iron sink a little or did you start the retrieve immediately? Were all these hit on the retrieve, never on the drop? And these are just jigs that don't swim in the normal Yellowtail-pleasing manner?

6. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Wow you guys killed it! Excellent work, enjoy the eats!

7. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Congrats, you guys killed it!

Nice score on the iron!

I see at least one YFT in those pics.

The unknown fisherman:p:

bhawk0030, Bendo28, bouttime and 2 others like this.
  8. fypm

fypm Newbie

Name:
    Cuong
    Boat:
    Blessed
    It was nice meeting u out there Fin Adikt. Thanks for all the advice. We weren't as fortunate with just 2 yellows to show for the day. Hope to see u out there again - Lil Whaler

9. finsane

finsane I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    None
    It doesn't get any better than that.

10. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Solid work guys, and nice load of tuna. Love those Tadys LOL

11. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
  12. ZHALVAJE

ZHALVAJE Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Which one is killing fish?
    :appl:That's is so cool! I hope I get a chance to do it this year.

13. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good job guys, sweet Tuna!

14. D-spot

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    You were the guys making bait at EB in SD right next to us....?...Just sharing info thats been shared with me...Nice job on the YT... Was definitely not WFO...but fishy non the less. Try that technique I mentioned for the GB's. I'm sure you'll be surprised how quick you fill the tank. See u out there....

15. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    Epic! Retardos #1!

16. Lipripper007

Lipripper007 Double Digit

Name:
    LIPRIPPER
    Boat:
    Sprint
    Sure beats the hell out of sitting on tuna pens, or having to meter them and hope to chum em' up from 100+ ft. on a longggg soak!

Foamers of BFT eating the Iron.....a lot of firsts going on here Im sure.

30+ yrs never seen this. jigs.

bhawk0030 and Short Bite like this.
  17. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    If those fish came on the retarded tadys, what are you saving the good tadys for? lol just messin, great job and thanks for the great report.

18. D-spot

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    5 count sink and crank as fast as you can..(TN20A with 40# CXX and 40# BW)..and Hold On...They did not want it slow....Highly recommend Mono for this...I love Spectra but not for these types of strikes. The iron was maybe a foot below the surface making the strike highly visible to say the least. The "Defective "Irons referred to in the post that did work... do not swim correctly...My BW skips to the left 2 or 3 times before kicking the other way. JC's MW has a tendency to run deeper the harder you crank.... Amazing action for sure...Sometimes defects are a good thing...IMO

19. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    Nice iron work! You didn't need bait anyways.

20. dannykl1957

dannykl1957 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    daniel klein
    Boat:
    none
    Sometime last century,about 40 plus years ago, I met the owner of Straggler jigs. His name was Leonard Lussier: I'm sure many of you know exactly who I am speaking of. I had read about his jig fishing prowess and how he created Straggler jigs. He was a very nice man and was more than happy to speak with a 15 year old who was enthusiastic about slinging the iron.

Leonard shared a great deal of his wisdom and experience that day.One great piece of advice that he gave me was how to go about picking jigs off the rack. He spoke in great detail about looking for jigs that were slightly different,blemished,misshaped.Jigs that were not identical to the majority on the same peg. He explained how the simplest imperfection or difference could create a dynamic that would drive fish nuts. A strange kick or weird swimming motion.Even the way bubbles might be created by an imperfection in the iron.

Well, over the years I spent quite a bit of time looking for that 'retarded' jig on the walls of tackle shops. No doubt many people thought I was a weirdo the way I closely examined each iron,spun every one of them on the ring,etc. Still, many of the jigs I deemed 'defective' were the ones that caught me many fish. Today I spend lots of time in a wheelchair and cannot do the long range scene but I still have my custom jig box with approx. 50 defective irons,most with the paint eaten off them.

Sorry to rant for so long about this but it sure sounds like Ray and his buddies truly understand how to identify and fish 'retarded' jigs. Congrats guys on a great day on the water. All your thinking and tinkering and planning paid off in a bucket list type of day. Have a feeling you will get opportunities like this quite a bit in the coming weeks.

best of luck everyone,

Daniel