30lbbg2299

Pinhead
Mar 17, 2012
San Diego
Name
Ben
Boat
Creek co tube.
Had to give it a try just ordered 3 mint and a few red crab Caivo irons let's see if a smaller iron the 2.2 oz will imitate the smaller red crab. Excited to see them swim

Upvote 0

here'smymule

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Have you guys ever thought about what goes into making a jig? Well, you have to have a design, a manufacture process, materials, labor, local & not so local regulations; OSHA, labor & wage laws, etc. When cast metal jigs were first made it was scrape from the aircraft industry, no health, safety, or environmental concerns. Today, as a practical matter making jigs locally costs more to make than it did 40- 50 years ago. Craig Morton of IISharp had some jigs produced in Asia for a while, but lead to some inconsistency.
When you see very low prices, it makes me wonder about what aspect has been cut out of the equation. Jason on the Excel said, "Tony, don't let your yoyo iron hit the deck. It will break!" Well, no. It's a JRI. Hit them hard with an 8# sledge hammer(I have) & they my bend a smidge. Anybody remember Copy Cat- 2-3 dollar jig? Never could figure that one out.

Reactions: nu2reels
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Just threw a Caivo 4k around for a while and I like the action, definitely swims better at slower speeds. About the exact same size as a Tady 45 but a bit thicker. I'd say it doesn't swing quite as wide.

My one gripe - the paint durability sucks. I dropped it on tile in my house and a spot the size of a quarter chipped off along with other small chips. Did the same with a Tady and nothing happened, three times in a row. But hey, it's $8. We'll see if it catches.

Reactions: JTH
Upvote 0

JTH

Oct 1, 2012
San Diego
Name
J
Boat
Just threw a Caivo 4k around for a while and I like the action, definitely swims better at slower speeds. About the exact same size as a Tady 45 but a bit thicker. I'd say it doesn't swing quite as wide.

My one gripe - the paint durability sucks. I dropped it on tile in my house and a spot the size of a quarter chipped off along with other small chips. Did the same with a Tady and nothing happened, three times in a row. But hey, it's $8. We'll see if it catches.

I thought the same thing when I threw it last week. The sweet spot on it was pretty small. It was fairly rough when I was using it so that probably didn't help. This was the bigger of the two also, 3.2oz I believe.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Oh yeah, one other thing that was kind of cool was the rings painted to match.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

muledeer07

Almost A Member
Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
After reading this last week I ordered a couple of the Caivo's in the 3.2 size. Took them to the pool and was quite pleased with the results. Even with the thick heavy front they kicked very well. I ordered 3, the first two definitely were a slow retrieve kick. The third one you had to speed it up just a bit to get a good kick out of the jig. Very impressed with these jigs. Just ordered 4 more. Like I needed 7 more surface irons but I was really impressed with the action on these jigs. We'll see how the paint holds up with use. Nothing else as long as they kick like this. Simple repaint will be in order.

Upvote 0

muymacho74

Surface Iron or bust!!
Jul 23, 2014
San Fernando Valley
Name
Phillip
Boat
America Angler
Im not too concerned with the durability of the paint to be honest with you guys. ALL of my good jigs have most of the paint missing anyway. Ive thought of repainting them but it seems like the more the paint comes off the more the yellowtail like the damn things. Besides, havent we all admired and/or been proud of the jigs with the paint chewed off? We all recognize those as having caught alot of fish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mocruz1200

Probably on a panga somewhere down south
Apr 17, 2013
midway city
Name
Moises
Boat
None
Im not too concerned with the durability of the paint to be honest with you guys. ALL of my good jigs have most of the paint missing anyway. Ive thought of repainting them but it seems like the more the paint comes off the more the yellowtail like the damn things. Besides, havent we all admired and/or been proud of the jigs with the paint chewed off? We all recognize those as having caught alot of fish. As long as the Caivo catches fish for $8 a piece I'm happy.
went cabrilla fishing in gonzaga this weekend. they absolutelly wrecked the paint on a new jig, the jig is completely bare now. im just going to repaint it and keep using it.

Upvote 0

muymacho74

Surface Iron or bust!!
Jul 23, 2014
San Fernando Valley
Name
Phillip
Boat
America Angler
Which jigs--JRI or Caivo?
Bob Sands Fishing Tackle in Van Nuys, CA. Just got in the full line up of Caivo and JRI Surface Irons. Same price as online.

Upvote 0

ariel.asido74

Jan 31, 2015
Name
ariel
Boat
no e
I took the Caivo for a swim this past weekend down to the Coronados and Rockpile. We didnt find the yellowtail but the jigs absolutely killed the Barracudas. Out fished every other jig in my box. The paint held up pretty good too, considering the teeth on cudas. I really like these jigs.

Did you try both sizes?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
He sure did knock the shit out of the cudas with the bigger Caivo tho..!!!

:worship:

Reactions: muymacho74
Upvote 0

muymacho74

Surface Iron or bust!!
Jul 23, 2014
San Fernando Valley
Name
Phillip
Boat
America Angler
He sure did knock the shit out of the cudas with the bigger Caivo tho..!!!

:worship:
Hey Bill I might've been the hot stick on the boat if you weren't on there slaying them with me bro. Good times!

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
That was so rad..!!!

Upvote 0

30lbbg2299

Pinhead
Mar 17, 2012
San Diego
Name
Ben
Boat
Creek co tube.
I also got my new mint caivo and let me tell you the kick on these things is legit. Boys are right about the high speeds tho really a bait to be fished a little slower. I started casting it on the drift and on the anchor and was just watching how nice it swims then when we started chasing bird schools and made casts as we motored after them the jig started dragging and not swimming at peak performance. Really love them though ordered 5 mint and a smaller red crab

Upvote 0

muymacho74

Surface Iron or bust!!
Jul 23, 2014
San Fernando Valley
Name
Phillip
Boat
America Angler
I also got my new mint caivo and let me tell you the kick on these things is legit. Boys are right about the high speeds tho really a bait to be fished a little slower. I started casting it on the drift and on the anchor and was just watching how nice it swims then when we started chasing bird schools and made casts as we motored after them the jig started dragging and not swimming at peak performance. Really love them though ordered 5 mint and a smaller red crab

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bert1991

Sep 21, 2011
CARSON/LB
Name
ALBERT
Boat
Enterprsie
If you guys are looking for poppers look no more. Caivo has great poppers are great price get the whille you can!!!

News CAIVO 3D LANDON Tuna Popper: size 160mm
In stock
Sale Special!!$9.99 ea.
LB Fishing Supplies , Long Beach CA
Free shipping Ebay link:
http://stores.ebay.com/lbfishingsup...7109012&_sid=1106900252&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
LB Fishing Supplies
2260 Long Beach Blvd
Long Beach Ca 90806
M-F 9:30am to 7:00Pm
Sat 9:30am to 6pm
Thanks

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Im not too concerned with the durability of the paint to be honest with you guys. ALL of my good jigs have most of the paint missing anyway. Ive thought of repainting them but it seems like the more the paint comes off the more the yellowtail like the damn things. Besides, havent we all admired and/or been proud of the jigs with the paint chewed off? We all recognize those as having caught alot of fish. As long as the Caivo catches fish for $8 a piece I'm happy.
I agree, that was just a nitpick on these lures. Other than that, the jigs are great but I haven't had a chance to put it in front of anything over 5lbs yet. Swims well and the Calicos like it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
Name
Lalas5
Boat
None
I fish jigs as much as I can and absolutely love it. I'm a deckhand and I've seen so many jigs work and not work. So much has to do wit the conditions bait fish r feeding on and size of the bait. My main jigs we all fish on the boat r old school salas 7x mint swirl and candy bar 112 starman originals. We look for jigs that have that odd swim wit the occasional crazy kick out of line. Most of our good jigs r paintless. Another thing most guys fiahing jigs don't do but can be very effective is when winding and u see a fish or fishes chasing jig kick it out of gear to let jig slide back at them then start winding again in most times we do this we get bit when out of gear cuz it changes the cadence of the jig

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I fish jigs as much as I can and absolutely love it. I'm a deckhand and I've seen so many jigs work and not work. So much has to do wit the conditions bait fish r feeding on and size of the bait. My main jigs we all fish on the boat r old school salas 7x mint swirl and candy bar 112 starman originals. We look for jigs that have that odd swim wit the occasional crazy kick out of line. Most of our good jigs r paintless. Another thing most guys fiahing jigs don't do but can be very effective is when winding and u see a fish or fishes chasing jig kick it out of gear to let jig slide back at them then start winding again in most times we do this we get bit when out of gear cuz it changes the cadence of the jig

Have you fished any of the the JRI jigs? I haven't found one that's not a swimmer yet. They cost quite a bit more, but they have great action and premium hooks which already worth it.

The 4 and 7 are my favorites so far.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
Name
Lalas5
Boat
None
Have you fished any of the the JRI jigs? I haven't found one that's not a swimmer yet. They cost quite a bit more, but they have great action and premium hooks which already worth it.

The 4 and 7 are my favorites so far.
No i haven't fished any jri jigs. Up here we don't have those and I'm picky wit my jigs I need to see them in person otherwise I'm not going to spend the money on a jog I won't like

Reactions: Mojo1
Upvote 0