Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
I was really debating about the BH Suzuki 10’ or 9’6”. Are you throwing LC110 or 115 or maybe both? If so was curious how the rod loads up and how you like the action overall.
10’ is the way to go, it’s a lighter action than the 9’6” and more than enough for west coast style surf duty. It’ll really fling the 110, and works well with up to 2oz and can do 3. The Suzuki has a very nice progressive bend under load, but it’s no noodle and has excellent recoil which is why it casts so well. Much higher tip velocity than lower recoil rods. It’s light enough to be fun for surf perch yet it has the balls to fish school size tuna, which it handles better than you’d expect. Kind of the ultimate do all surf rod for the West Coast.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Yuri_SD

Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2019
San Diego
Name
Yuri
Boat
none
Is that too soft for SP Minnow and LC? I’m trying to decide which Celilo or SST. Cannot tell what range of lure weight I should be looking for

Not really, seems to work well, but I haven't hooked anything big yet. I wouldn't throw 150, but 110-115 work well.

Upvote 0

ksong

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
I was really debating about the BH Suzuki 10’ or 9’6”. Are you throwing LC110 or 115 or maybe both? If so was curious how the rod loads up and how you like the action overall.
10' Black Hole Suzuki rods are a little lighter than 9'6" Suzuki rods. But you can cast 1/2 oz lure with 9'6" Suzuki rod. Both are strong for their light weight.
We recently developed 8', 8'6", 9' and 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki II Ultra Light 1/4 oz - 1 1/2 oz rods.
We tested the rods for coho salmon, schoolie striper or snook.
Those ultra light rods are good for schoolie striper, calico bass, perach, California halibut, coho salmon or sockeye.

Hi's Tackle Box in South San Francisco ordered bunch or 9'6" and 10' Suzuki rods as well as 9' and 9'6" Suzuki II Ultra Light rods. If you live nearby, check the rods at the shop. It will take about one week to deliver the rods to them.

Skkeeter

07 FFL
Apr 15, 2018
Shelter Cove, Ca
www.billygoatmachine.com
Name
Skkeeter
Boat
24' Hewescraft Alaskan, Gregor 15' Baja Special
BH Suzuki rods are phenomenal for their price range and versatility. I have the 10’ and the 9’6”. If you want to go fancy/top of the line, the Century SS1265, rated 1-3 throws a mile And is very lightweight. I love mine wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger
Upvote 0

FNNBONES

Mar 5, 2009
SFV
Name
Mike
Boat
My Feet
I am assuming since you mentioned the hard baits then you will be walking and working structure. Commonly most surf anglers target Halibut, Calicos, Corbina and perch from our SoCal beaches. I personally use a one piece 7'11" Shimano Crucial crankbait rod - Med/Light action with a 300 series Daiwa Lexa. I find it quite compatible for tossing jerk baits and big hammers as well.

Reactions: Lexa400Roy
Upvote 0

Lexa400Roy

Is so tired of this coronavirus disaster
Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
I am assuming since you mentioned the hard baits then you will be walking and working structure. Commonly most surf anglers target Halibut, Calicos, Corbina and perch from our SoCal beaches. I personally use a one piece 7'11" Shimano Crucial crankbait rod - Med/Light action with a 300 series Daiwa Lexa. I find it quite compatible for tossing jerk baits and big hammers as well.
I settled for an okuma rockaway, and paired it to a cheap daiwa eliminator i believe, 4000 series, i like it very much i can cast a hard plastic pretty far, but i have yet to catch a fish on it lol

Reactions: chamackO
Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
The Okuma Rockaway is a very surprising rod for the money. I’ve seen them in stores here and there, and after handling one, I must say I was intrigued. After looking at the price tag, I promptly bought two 11 footers, a medium and a medium heavy.
While they aren’t my Black Hole or CTS sticks, for $85, they’re excellent rods!
In fact, I’d buy them at twice the price.

Upvote 0

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
The Okuma Rockaway is a very surprising rod for the money. I’ve seen them in stores here and there, and after handling one, I must say I was intrigued. After looking at the price tag, I promptly bought two 11 footers, a medium and a medium heavy.
While they aren’t my Black Hole or CTS sticks, for $85, they’re excellent rods!
In fact, I’d buy them at twice the price.
I love it, i got the 10 foot M i can cast 1 oz and swivel what i believe to be 150 yds but i might be exagerating lol it sure casts far though my spool is filled with 300 yds of 40 lb j braid and 50 yds of 12 lb mono, i always get about half spool, i just gotta catch fish on it lol

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
I love it, i got the 10 foot M i can cast 1 oz and swivel what i believe to be 150 yds but i might be exagerating lol it sure casts far though my spool is filled with 300 yds of 40 lb j braid and 50 yds of 12 lb mono, i always get about half spool, i just gotta catch fish on it lol
If you want to see what that rod will really do, respool with with some 20lb J Braid. You won't believe the results until you try it. You'll add 25 to 30% to your distance, easily. The Rockaways' casting ability is perhaps the most surprising feature of the rods, as well as the very light rod weight and good sensitivity.

Reactions: Lexa400Roy
Upvote 0

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
If you want to see what that rod will really do, respool with with some 20lb J Braid. You won't believe the results until you try it. You'll add 25 to 30% to your distance, easily. The Rockaways' casting ability is perhaps the most surprising feature of the rods, as well as the very light rod weight and good sensitivity.
It'll hold a lot of 20lb line lol like 600 yards, should i fill it up all the way? I fear it might be heavy lol

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
You can fill the reel with mono backing until 300 yards or so fits on there just right.
Easiest way I've found is to spool however much braid you want onto the reel, knot the braid to a mono backing of your choice, and finish spooling the reel to the proper fill level.
Then, using a cordless drill, a long headless bolt and two nuts, transfer the line back onto an empty spool. Now, we have to flip the line so the mono is first.
We do this by transfering the line to an empty conventional reel. Now that the mono end is first, respool back onto your spinning reel under proper tension.
Sounds complicated, but it's very quick in practice.
This method eliminates all the guesswork about how much mono backing you'll need to have a properly filled reel.

Upvote 0

Man Overboard

Feb 12, 2009
Ventura,Ca
Name
Daniel
Boat
N/A
I bought a Turners Californian CBX 7’7 6-14 lb 1/4-3/4oz on sale for ($99) and works pretty good. I didn’t buy to surf fish but recently started to spending days at beach with trailer and family. Matched with a Diawa Legalis 4000 ($59)20 lb. spectra and 4- 10lb floro leader. Use it to throw LC 110, Drop Shot/C. Rigs from 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz weights.

Upvote 0

Skkeeter

07 FFL
Apr 15, 2018
Shelter Cove, Ca
www.billygoatmachine.com
Name
Skkeeter
Boat
I used to think I was casting around 120y until I actually measured the distance. Way less than I imagined. I was actually around 80-90 with soft baits. I could toss a 2oz streamlined jig out past 100, but not even close to 150, and I was using my $550 Century Slingshot 10'6". Maybe I just suck at casting lol. Either way I also have 3 Rockaway's in the fish shack that I use as loaners for friends. You simply cannot find a better value.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
I used to think I was casting around 120y until I actually measured the distance. Way less than I imagined. I was actually around 80-90 with soft baits. I could toss a 2oz streamlined jig out past 100, but not even close to 150, and I was using my $550 Century Slingshot 10'6". Maybe I just suck at casting lol. Either way I also have 3 Rockaway's in the fish shack that I use as loaners for friends. You simply cannot find a better value.
If you’re looking for distance, a long cast spinning reel and light braid makes all the difference in the world. My 10’ Black Hole wears a Penn Conflict 4000LC spooled with 10lb braid. I can easily hit between 130 and 140 measured yards with a 2oz setup and no special casting technique. Switching to a Battle III 4000DX and 20lb. braid, that distance drops to between 80-90 yards. Both setups run a 20lb. shock leader with at least 3 wraps on the spool when casting.

Reactions: Skkeeter
Upvote 0

Skkeeter

07 FFL
Apr 15, 2018
Shelter Cove, Ca
www.billygoatmachine.com
Name
Skkeeter
Boat
Yeah I have a Shimano Ultegra CI4 5500 and it seemed to add around 10-15 yards max. Maybe I just suck lol. Have you actually measured your casts (what did you use to measure) to verify the distances?

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Yeah I have a Shimano Ultegra CI4 5500 and it seemed to add around 10-15 yards max. Maybe I just suck lol. Have you actually measured your casts (what did you use to measure) to verify the distances?
Yes, the casts were measured with a Leica laser rangefinder, with the person acting as a range marker standing on the weight itself. Without accurate measurements, it’s all guesswork and that doesn’t do me any good. When you’re stacking rods, reels, and line setups against each other, it’s the only way to know for sure.
The line you use has as great an impact on distance as the reel, maybe more so.
Most guys I see fishing the surf are running line that’s way too heavy.

Reactions: Skkeeter
Upvote 0

Skkeeter

07 FFL
Apr 15, 2018
Shelter Cove, Ca
www.billygoatmachine.com
Name
Skkeeter
Boat
Yes, the casts were measured with a Leica laser rangefinder, with the person acting as a range marker standing on the weight itself. Without accurate measurements, it’s all guesswork and that doesn’t do me any good. When you’re stacking rods, reels, and line setups against each other, it’s the only way to know for sure.
The line you use has as great an impact on distance as the reel, maybe more so.
Most guys I see fishing the surf are running line that’s way too heavy.
Yeah I wish I could go lighter, but my fishery is extremely rocky and 30lb is the lightest I can go. Sound like I need to work on my technique some more to really stretch out there. Thanks for the info

Upvote 0