Lexa400Roy

Is so tired of this coronavirus disaster
Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
Alright, so i have a penn fierceII combo(actually 2) that i use for rockfish and yellowtail (when they bite), anyhow, i want to get some surf rods to pair with those reels and fish the coast, what would you recommend and im talking "quality" rods, i was gifted a lot ot yo-zuri and daiwa sp minnow baits for Christmas and i cant wait to use them pls and thanks in advance

Reactions: pacificscout

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
Why, thank you for your advice, ive been looking around but nothing that really catches my attention, say would you prefer a 2 piece rod over a one piece? Also what do you think about the longer rods? like 10'-12' rods

Hellosugaree

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
If you're throwing sp minnows or any other artificial up to about 1.5oz get a 9ft-ish salmon/steelhead rod. Don't buy a 12 foot rod... your arm will fall off after 20 minutes. No need for a heavy action broomstick either unless you want to cast 8oz of lead. Also no need to spend a ton of money.

I have a lamiglas rod that was under $100 and fishes great. Also have an okuma that was around $50 as a backup and it also fishes great. Both cast great and will handle anything you will encounter in the surf in California. You can rocket an sp minnow a mile. They come in both casting and spinning versions. They also have other uses outside the surf where a 12ft broomstick doesn't. You can have fun catching tiny perch or big stripers and halibut.

You can spend 3-5x that much and get a phenix or other nicer rod, but this 28" striper didn't know the difference:

20190810_193004_resized.jpg

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
If you're throwing sp minnows or any other artificial up to about 1.5oz get a 9ft-ish salmon/steelhead rod. Don't buy a 12 foot rod... your arm will fall off after 20 minutes. No need for a heavy action broomstick either unless you want to cast 8oz of lead. Also no need to spend a ton of money.

I have a lamiglas rod that was under $100 and fishes great. Also have an okuma that was around $50 as a backup and it also fishes great. Both cast great and will handle anything you will encounter in the surf in California. You can rocket an sp minnow a mile. They come in both casting and spinning versions. They also have other uses outside the surf where a 12ft broomstick doesn't. You can have fun catching tiny perch or big stripers and halibut.

You can spend 3-5x that much and get a phenix or other nicer rod, but this 28" striper didn't know the difference:

View attachment 1107513
Wow thats a monster!!!! I was looking at the okuma longitude 9 foot rod, but i read a lot of reviews about the rod splitting or breaking, i have to check out the other recs here but thanks for all your help guys

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Wow thats a monster!!!! I was looking at the okuma longitude 9 foot rod, but i read a lot of reviews about the rod splitting or breaking, i have to check out the other recs here but thanks for all your help guys
Whatever you do, look at the lure rating on the rod. Most surf rods are made to throw heavy lead for bait and wait. For example, the 9ft okuma longitude is rated 3-6oz. An SP minnow weighs about 1oz so if you get a surf rod that's rated to 6oz you'll have no spring for casting and no sensitivity to feel subtle action on a light plug.

A steelhead rod rated to ~1oz will load up properly with an sp minnow to help get you distance and will have the sensitivity in the tip to be able to feel it working which is also important. I have 2 friends who didn't listen to me and went and bought heavy surf rods then tried mine once and went back and bought the steelhead rod.

Match the lure rating on the rod to the weight of whatever you're throwing: there's a reason manufacturers put this info on there. You can deviate outside of it but the rod will perform way better in the specified range.

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
These are solid and reasonably priced. I use both the conventional and spinning versions for hard baits and both are solid. Tight lines!
Hmm guess ill have to give them a try, either way if i dont like it i could always use it for inshore or lake fishing lol thansks for everyone's suggestions, i appreciate them and once i make a decision ill be posting it here, thanks you all

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
Alright, so i have a penn fierceII combo(actually 2) that i use for rockfish and yellowtail (when they bite), anyhow, i want to get some surf rods to pair with those reels and fish the coast, what would you recommend and im talking "quality" rods, i was gifted a lot ot yo-zuri and daiwa sp minnow baits for Christmas and i cant wait to use them pls and thanks in advance
What line do you want to fish and what weight lures will you cast? I use an Okuma Nomad 10 ft. 4 pc. spin rod and a cheap little 8 foot Wright & McGill spinner over here in Florida. Look at St. Croix - anything from an 8 foot Tidemaster (about $200) all the way up to the Legend Surf Series ($470-$670). There are several rods in between these prices also. Another good rod line is Star Rods. Their Stellar Lite and Stellar Series is a very good rod and sells for $100-$200. My next surf rod will probably be a Star Stellar 12 foot surf spin rod and after that a St. Croix Tidemaster or Star Stellar Lite 8 footer for all around work - from casting pencil poppers off jetties, bait fishing around jetties and even stuff like kingfish and dolphin/dorado. I may take the 8 footer out on a head boat and rig it with something like a 3/4 oz. bucktail jig in case we run into some schoolie dolphin or maybe blackfin tuna if they're feeding on the surface.

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
What line do you want to fish and what weight lures will you cast? I use an Okuma Nomad 10 ft. 4 pc. spin rod and a cheap little 8 foot Wright & McGill spinner over here in Florida. Look at St. Croix - anything from an 8 foot Tidemaster (about $200) all the way up to the Legend Surf Series ($470-$670). There are several rods in between these prices also. Another good rod line is Star Rods. Their Stellar Lite and Stellar Series is a very good rod and sells for $100-$200. My next surf rod will probably be a Star Stellar 12 foot surf spin rod and after that a St. Croix Tidemaster or Star Stellar Lite 8 footer for all around work - from casting pencil poppers off jetties, bait fishing around jetties and even stuff like kingfish and dolphin/dorado. I may even take the 8 footer out on a head boat and rig it with something like a 3/4 oz. bucktail jig in case we run into some schoolie dolphin or maybe blackfin tuna if they're feeding on the surface.

Nov 23, 2018
SoCal
Name
Shaun
Boat
1966 Hobie Phil Edwards Model
Shimano Clarus 8’6” is my go to and works great. Shimano even replaced it after 10 years of use when the eyes started to wear down. I also have a Penn Carnage II for heavier lures and have my eye on a Phenix Cicada as an upgrade.

Reactions: Lexa400Roy

nick heid

Jan 31, 2020
San Diego
Name
Nick Heid
Boat
N/A
I’m probably too late to help but I had this question a while back and I see many people asking for rod and reel advice so I went ahead and took some “polls” and asked hundreds of anglers in the So Cal community about there favorite set up for all major styles of fishing in the surf (c rig, lures, and sharks) and this is what I’ve come up with.

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
I’m probably too late to help but I had this question a while back and I see many people asking for rod and reel advice so I went ahead and took some “polls” and asked hundreds of anglers in the So Cal community about there favorite set up for all major styles of fishing in the surf (c rig, lures, and sharks) and this is what I’ve come up with.

Thanks for the great info, i was going to buy one right before the coronavirus happened and since the beaches are closed i decided to wait after all this is over, i will read it through and hopefully make a decision from there thank you

Highwayman

Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
I have a 9 ft Shimano Claris I like as well a a Berkeley Air IMR 8’-6” that is great also. I have fished the Berkeley more for whatever reason. Those aren’t the only rods just the ones used most.

Yuri_SD

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 11, 2019
San Diego
Name
Yuri
Boat
none
Recently got Okuma Celilo 9'6" 6-12lb ML from Amazon for $50. Works great for surf.

At the same time my old Berkley 6'6" 4-8lb rod used for lake trout fishing has been used to pull a bunch of croakers over last two days. Casts and handles smaller surf fish without any issues, especially considering it's about 15 years old.

Reactions: Cubeye

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
I spotted a used 8'6" Clarus 8-17Lb at The Longfin in Orange last week. Only $40. Great deal if anyone is looking for a good surf rod.

Reactions: Cubeye

chamackO

Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
Recently got Okuma Celilo 9'6" 6-12lb ML from Amazon for $50. Works great for surf.

At the same time my old Berkley 6'6" 4-8lb rod used for lake trout fishing has been used to pull a bunch of croakers over last two days. Casts and handles smaller surf fish without any issues, especially considering it's about 15 years old.
Is that too soft for SP Minnow and LC? I’m trying to decide which Celilo or SST. Cannot tell what range of lure weight I should be looking for

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Which model is best for SP Minnow and LuckyCraft?
8-17# line rated salmon/steelhead rod. 8 1/2 -10' length. LuckyCraft or any jerk bait 9/16 - 3/4 oz.

Lots of good information in previous threads in this section.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Lots of good recommendations so far. After cycling through quite a few different rods over the years, I eventually settled on a Black Hole Suzuki 10’ 10-20lb and a Penn Conflict Long Cast 4000 with 10lb Daiwa J8 braid FG knotted to leader of choice for each situation. It’s a light, very responsive rod and will literally throw an SP minnow further than any other setup I’ve used, which is quite a few. The 10lb J Braid is more than strong enough, ABS routinely tests in the low 20s. 15lb flouro will break before the J Braid. Most of my surf fishing is done on days it’s too rough to be offshore, so surf conditions for me are almost never ideal. This setup deals with it nicely. Hope this helps.

coastalwerks

Apr 20, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Lance De Guzman
Boat
Local Kine!
Lots of good recommendations so far. After cycling through quite a few different rods over the years, I eventually settled on a Black Hole Suzuki 10’ 10-20lb and a Penn Conflict Long Cast 4000 with 10lb Daiwa J8 braid FG knotted to leader of choice for each situation. It’s a light, very responsive rod and will literally throw an SP minnow further than any other setup I’ve used, which is quite a few. The 10lb J Braid is more than strong enough, ABS routinely tests in the low 20s. 15lb flouro will break before the J Braid. Most of my surf fishing is done on days it’s too rough to be offshore, so surf conditions for me are almost never ideal. This setup deals with it nicely. Hope this helps.
I was really debating about the BH Suzuki 10’ or 9’6”. Are you throwing LC110 or 115 or maybe both? If so was curious how the rod loads up and how you like the action overall.