Chan-

:)
May 12, 2020
Torrance
Name
Chan Suk
Boat
?
Ok and more question what about those beads when doing a carolina rig because I know some people don't like using and some people really recommend doing it and I know its suppose to protect the knot from the swivel but I have some of those carolina keepers
i don't think you really need it, but it does help protect the knot on the swivel. putting the orange bead next to the sand crab makes it seem like it has an egg sack which the fish like also so that's what mike m was referring to above

Reactions: Mike M
Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    you want at least a 9 foot salmon/ steelhead for fishing the surf. You can catch a couple perch with a 7.5 foot rod yeah, but with the same baits, you can catch yellowfin croaker, corbina, halibut, all kinds of stuff and a lot more perch and bigger ones we've found. My brother, dad, and I all fish the surf together, and my brother and I catch perch on our little set ups, and my dad kills it on his 9'6 fenwick HMX 96. He catches the biggest BSP, the bigger corbina, and other species we never catch. I have the rod on loan right now and let me tell you this is exactly the rod you want to fish smaller surf fish. Its literally perfect. but yeah a smaller rod will catch you perch...

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    I've been using a Cabela's fish eagle 10.5 ft 3 piece rated 8-20 lb for a few years...works great w. a 2500 size feel witg 14-20 lb braid. Shorter is ok for those days when the surf is 1-2 feet shorebreak gently lapping the shore...but more often the surf is bigger like 2-3 or 2-4 ft w. no trough in the white water section and to get bit you need to cast beyond the breaking section. This is when a longer 9 ft + rod that can handle a little bit heavier sinker like 1.5 to 2.5 oz egg...will come in handy. That length also comes in handy in the harbors and off jetties from land when throwing small megabaits, colt snipers, underspin and swimbaits for bonito, bass, spotties & halibut. Went to Catalina one summer when they had this free fare special on the Catalina Express and was launching small 1 oz to 1.5 oz megabaits and Pt. Loma darts from the beach and had a blast catching 1-3 lb. bonita and a shit ton of small calicos on gulp jerk shad.

Upvote 0

max

Jul 22, 2005
    la
    Name
    michael
    Boat
    23 maycraft max
    A short rod is fine if you are just targeting perch because distance is not much of a factor. However I think you are going to miss out on all the other fish that are farther out, where distance can be key. I would go with a longer rod that is light in weight .(some of the longer rods can be a bit heavy and your arms and wrist will pay the price).

Reactions: Tackleho619
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I have a couple Berkeley salmon rods at 8’-6”, Shimano Steel heads at 9’ that I use more than others. A Seeker 10’. The Berkeley rods are really light weight. When I first started I used my 7’ trout rods quite a bit. Caught my biggest halibut from shore on a 7’ rod.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Dont over think it, get a cheap ass trout rod rated something like 6-10lb with 6lb mono on there, 1/2-3/4oz egg sinker, 6lb leader and an owner mosquito #4 hook and one package of 2” gulp camo worms. Should cost you less than a fishing license. The same setup with sand crabs if you find them.

The reel with be trashed eventually but by that time you will know what you really want instead of us Internet dorks telling you what you should get.

One tip, rougher the waves increase the weight and shorten the leader.

Reactions: Derby
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Hello I need some help looking for a surf fishing rod and the species I'm targeting is surfperch but the thing is that I'm new to surf fishing, and the rod I'm thinking of buying is the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Elite Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rod in a 9-foot medium-power but I'm not sure if I should get in 8'6 and also I already have a reel which is the Penn pursuit iii size 2500. And I'm gonna be surf fishing at Newport, CA.
    What's the line rating on the rod?
    What's the recommended lure weight for the rod?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Dont over think it, get a cheap ass trout rod rated something like 6-10lb with 6lb mono on there, 1/2-3/4oz egg sinker, 6lb leader and an owner mosquito #4 hook and one package of 2” gulp camo worms. Should cost you less than a fishing license. The same setup with sand crabs if you find them.

The reel with be trashed eventually but by that time you will know what you really want instead of us Internet dorks telling you what you should get.

One tip, rougher the waves increase the weight and shorten the leader.

This for Corbs, Croakers, and Perchfish. Plus all the rays and sharks

The fish eat the orange bead. The bead does not have a hook. No good

The point of the hook goes through a sandcrab roe sack. Pointing out of the roe. So the fish bites into the hook point

Last edited:

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
    NorCal
    Name
    Boat
    19' Hobie
    9-11ft salmon rod, 20lbs braid, 1-2oz egg sinker to a swivel, 4-5ft 10-20lbs leader, #2 or #4 Gama bait holder hook. Gulp camo sandworm and live sand fleas. Cast as far as you can, keep your line tight and let the waves push your sinker in and out, slow retrieve it back in. I'm not too sure about the size 2500 Penn Pursuit however, I would cast that entire spool out on 20lbs braid. I haven't fish for surf perch too much in SoCal, but this is how I rig it in NorCal.

Reactions: R6721 and Cubeye

LOOMIS13

Feb 27, 2021
    Norco
    Name
    HOWARD
    Boat
    None
    You got a lot of good tips so far. Usually the longer rod will help you cast farther and also depend if you put the rod on a stake and Let it sit on the sand and wait for a fish to bite. The longer rod will help keep the line over the wake/waves so the wave don't keep pushing and throwing your line and moving the tip of your rod so you can tell the difference between a fish bite or wake/waves pulling on the line.

If you are in fishing the water and casting you don't need the 10-12 ft rod. 9ft would be versatile length for casting lures and if you want to soak a sand crab, put on rod on a stake/rod holder, chill on the sand and watch the rod.

If you are not the type to ever soak a bait and put the rod on the sand....then you can go for shorter rod....something light so you can fish all day and not get tired.

Hope this help

LOOMIS13

Feb 27, 2021
    Norco
    Name
    HOWARD
    Boat
    None
    This is my go to rod that I used for the surf. 9'6 2pc rod medium light 6lb-12lb. I usually use 1000 series reel with braid. Super light and can fish all day. I've used lighter line(4lb) with this setup...just have to set the drag a little lighter.

I've have caught small sharks, stingrays and even small batrays on this setup. So rod is very versatile and should be able to do the work on the surf

IMG_20210401_000247.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: R6721

vincentek9

halibut suck
    Apr 9, 2010
    anaheim, CA
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    AVparker
    I use a shimano scimitar 8'6" salmon/steelhead rod with an abu garcia cardinal spinning reel. spooled with 6# izorline fluoro.

for newport, this is my tackle setup
    carolina rig
    10-12" 4# fluoro
    size 4 owner mosquito hook
    small barrel swivel
    bead
    1/4 to 3/8oz egg sinker
    berkley Gulp! camo sandworms (cut to about 1.5" length)

i never liked carolina keepers for surf fishing as i try to cast and the carolina keeper tends to slide down.

FNNBONES

Mar 5, 2009
    SFV
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    My Feet
    I would use the 8'6" rod to target different species in the same perch zone like halibut for example. I only target perch when there is nothing else around and that is usually during the winter/early spring. Once the water temps are on the rise and a stable 57 degrees I forget about perch because they get boring. When I do target perch I usually use my 7'6" fenwick UL with a 1000 series reel and 4lb test. If you get lucky...you will stick a corbina and on the UL setup it will be a wild ride. No need really for a super long rod for perch because they are usually pretty tight to your toes.

Upvote 0