Surf perch fishing rod suggestions

Feb 26, 2021
Riverside
Name
Max Patron
Boat
I dont have one
Hello I need some help looking for a surf fishing rod and the species I'm targeting is surfperch but the thing is that I'm new to surf fishing, and the rod I'm thinking of buying is the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Elite Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rod in a 9-foot medium-power but I'm not sure if I should get in 8'6 and also I already have a reel which is the Penn pursuit iii size 2500. And I'm gonna be surf fishing at Newport, CA.

Chan-

:)
May 12, 2020
Torrance
Name
Chan Suk
Boat
?
u should be fine with both a 9 foot and 8'6. personally i just go with some random setups that are like 7'6 and it works fine. if its just for surf perch then most of the light to medium outfits out there work fine as long as you can cast the lure/baits out.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2021
Riverside
Name
Max Patron
Boat
I dont have one
u should be fine with both a 9 foot and 8'6. personally i just go with some random setups that are like 7'6 and it works fine. if its just for surf perch then most of the light to medium outfits out there work fine as long as you can cast the lure/baits out.
Thank you, I was just wondering what rod length I should get because in every article I read people say I recommend 11 foot rod, 9 foot rod or a 8 foot rod and gets very confusing

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
Torrance
Name
Chan Suk
Boat
?
Thank you, I was just wondering what rod length I should get because in every article I read people say I recommend 11 foot rod, 9 foot rod or a 8 foot rod and gets very confusing
i doubt they are targeting surf perch. they are probably targeting bigger species hence needing the farther casting distance. surf perch arent all that far out. I've found i usually get the most bites on incoming tide at sandbars around the area right before the waves break. just search up how to find the perch since i think its more important

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2021
Riverside
Name
Max Patron
Boat
I dont have one
i doubt they are targeting surf perch. they are probably targeting bigger species hence needing the farther casting distance. surf perch arent all that far out. I've found i usually get the most bites on incoming tide at sandbars around the area right before the waves break. just search up how to find the perch since i think its more important
Yeah that's true surf perch aren't far, and also I have been watching some surf perch fishing tutorials and how to find them and I might just buy the 8'6 because where I'm gonna fish you can catch them not that far away

Reactions: Chan-
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2021
Riverside
Name
Max Patron
Boat
I dont have one
And also thank you because It's been so confusing to find a surf perch rod

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
Torrance
Name
Chan Suk
Boat
?
And also thank you because It's been so confusing to find a surf perch rod
np. for specifically surf perch you really don't need too much. i take my friends for their first time to the beach and just give them a random rod and they do better than me half the time LOL. but then again, Im usually around knee deep in the water anyways just cause i like it

• Haha
Reactions: chtr_leader_max
Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    You're fine with that 9' rod.

And by the way... As the water continues to warm, sand crabs will rise and the bite will transition to include yellowfin croaker, corbina and spotfin croaker. Soft shell crabs will consistently catch more fish than hardshells. Your setup with 6# or 8# mono will be great!

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?

And by the way... As the water continues to warm, sand crabs will rise and the bite will transition to include yellowfin croaker, corbina and spotfin croaker. Soft shell crabs will consistently catch more fish than hardshells. Your setup with 6# or 8# mono will be great!
    yep those softshell catch everything. also i use jerkbaits to get the larger perch if they are really biting.

Upvote 0
    Feb 26, 2021
    Riverside
    Name
    Max Patron
    Boat
    I dont have one

Yeah I heard those sand crabs are good bait and also what size hook for those gulp sandworms 🧐

Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    For 2" grubs and 2" Gulp sandworms, I like a Gamakatsu baitholder #6 hook. There's something about Gamakatsu that get more hook sets than Mustad, or Eagle Claw baitholders.
    gamakastu baitholder.JPG

For sand crabs I like Caivo Nanowire #10 hooks (26 per pack) which are equivalent in size to Owner Mosquito #8 hooks at 1/3 the cost.

(photo is #2 hooks, but #10 is the correct size)
    Caivo hooks.JPG

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?
    And how do I know what size egg sinker to use by the conditions
    for me, i go light as possible. just what i like to do. if i feel the weight moving around then i move the weight up. if i feel it stay put then i just stick with it. usually i use like a 1/16 weight. i do usually use an ultralight rod i usually use with trout fishing though. it just makes it more fun for me. but i just go heavier with my line/setup. when i use my baitcaster setup i just go heavier.

Upvote 0
    Feb 26, 2021
    Riverside
    Name
    Max Patron
    Boat
    I dont have one
    For 2" grubs and 2" Gulp sandworms, I like a Gamakatsu baitholder #6 hook. There's something about Gamakatsu that get more hook sets than Mustad, or Eagle Claw baitholders.
    View attachment 1258095

For sand crabs I like Caivo Nanowire #10 hooks (26 per pack) which are equivalent in size to Owner Mosquito #8 hooks at 1/3 the cost.

(photo is #2 hooks, but #10 is the correct size)
    View attachment 1258096
    Ok that's good to know and I just bought some size 6 hooks so I have that checked off my list

Upvote 0
    Feb 26, 2021
    Riverside
    Name
    Max Patron
    Boat
    I dont have one
    for me, i go light as possible. just what i like to do. if i feel the weight moving around then i move the weight up. if i feel it stay put then i just stick with it. usually i use like a 1/16 weight. i do usually use an ultralight rod i usually use with trout fishing though. it just makes it more fun for me. but i just go heavier with my line/setup. when i use my baitcaster setup i just go heavier.
    Would a 1/2 oz egg sinker be fine for normal conditions?

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?
    Would a 1/2 oz egg sinker be fine for normal conditions?
    should be fine. just make sure to feel the line and you don't feel it rolling all over the place. if so then move up. your going to be reeling in slowly anyways but making sure its on the bottom is important (when using bait)

Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    For setups, I prefer a 1 or 2 hook gangion over the Carolina rig. I also add a 6mm orange bead next to the hook to emulate sand crab roe. The gangion doesn't tangle as much as a Carolina rig and I can keep my crab in the zone for a longer period. I use a 1 ounce pyramid weight.
    Gangion.jpg

I also made my own sand crab rake from a Lowe's storage crate and 3/4" PVC pipe. It is 2lbs lighter than a metal Promar rake.
    Milk Crate Rake.jpg

Upvote 0
    Feb 26, 2021
    Riverside
    Name
    Max Patron
    Boat
    I dont have one
    should be fine. just make sure to feel the line and you don't feel it rolling all over the place. if so then move up. your going to be reeling in slowly anyways but making sure its on the bottom is important (when using bait)
    so if the conditions are pretty bad maybe a 3/4 oz?

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?
    For setups, I prefer a 1 or 2 hook gangion over the Carolina rig. I also add a 6mm orange bead next to the hook to emulate sand crab roe. The gangion doesn't tangle as much as a Carolina rig and I can keep my crab in the zone for a longer period. I use a 1 ounce pyramid weight.
    View attachment 1258098

I also made my own sand crab rake from a Lowe's storage crate and 3/4" PVC pipe. It is 2lbs lighter than a metal Promar rake.
    View attachment 1258100
    i use this rig when i use sandcrabs. when i use the gulp worms i like to reel them and drag them on the ground so i go with the Carolina rig.

Upvote 0
    Feb 26, 2021
    Riverside
    Name
    Max Patron
    Boat
    I dont have one
    yep. just make your way up. that's for the Carolina rig though. if your using crabs then the rig above is a better way.
    Ok and more question what about those beads when doing a carolina rig because I know some people don't like using and some people really recommend doing it and I know its suppose to protect the knot from the swivel but I have some of those carolina keepers

Upvote 0