Surf fishing with lucky craft

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by noname8507, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Fish Ed

Fish Ed Member

Name:
    Ed Forbes
    Boat:
    21' Parker Sport Cabin, Hoku o ke Kai
    I use an Okuma Cielo rod with a Shimano 2400 spinning reel. Light enough action if you are targeting surf perch and robust enough to work good sized halibut. like all rods and reels don't set the drag too tight. Let the rod work the fish, keep all slack out and as your fish approaches the beach work with the waves to drag it on shore. I use lucky craft 110, kastmasters of various weight depending on wind and surf conditions and krocodile chrome and blue spoons. Last fish caught was a 29" on a kasmaster lure. Photo on BD Chit Chat Forum. I fish mostly N. San Diego County beaches.

2. JTjigger

JTjigger Newbie

Fishing the surf is all about the right timing and being in the surf zone when they are feeding on bait in the surf. And you can catch some many types of fish from the surf. Some of the things I have caught on lures only are halibut, leopard sharks, jacksmelt, bonita, corbina, various croakers(haven't caught a WSB yet), walleye perch, barred surf perch, redtail perch, grass rockfish, calico bass, skates and rays, cabezon, mackeral, lingcod, and striped bass. The surf environment is constantly changing all the time, wind waves, ground swell, tides, current, sand movement. It is one of the most challenging things to try to figure out and some spots only bite under certain conditions. I ain't even close to figuring it out. In the open ocean beaches, and not sloughs or harbors, huge crashing swell seems to be the worst for me for all species of fish. Keep your eyes peeled for diving birds or when you have clean water which is best for many species on the beach, you can see baitfish in the surf. Also, walk and cast, walk and cast, keep moving, but dont move so quickly that you overwork your bait.

As far as the baits I use, i throw lucky craft 110's in all kinds of colors, dont really have a favorite but bright days i use something with chrome in it, darker overcast days i use a flatter finish. I also throw Ito Vision 110's in the same color schemes. I also fish a 1 ounce kastmaster and a 1 ounce crocodile both silver in color. I threw swimbaits occasionally with the 4inch size in baitfish colors with a 3/4ounce leadhead my preferred setup.

The rod and reel i use is a 7ft freshwater bass or 9ft steelhead medium action spinning rod, with a 2500-3000 size reel, spooled with mono backing, then attached tot he mono is 100 yards of 15pound powerpro slick 8, and a 2 foot leader of 15 pound flourocarbon. I use a small swivel to connect the powerpro spectra to the flourocarbon leader, seems like you get lots of twist in the surf environment in your line so the swivel definitely helps. I also use an interlock snap or duo lock snap so i can change lures quickly. The powerpro slick8 last about 16-24 trips before i change it out as it loses it coating. When I fish the surf, I try to fish the morning to dusk so I see the spot on two tides and associated sea breeze, wind swell, etc... On low tide you can see some of what you are fishing on high tide.

I have a fanny pack which i store all my terminal gear in and it has a drink holder as well. If you are going to be successful, at least what has worked for me is to walk and cover ground. Fish where there is hard bottom, rock, and sand mixed. Pay attention as you are walking as you will feel pockets of warm and cold water as you walk the beach on your feet. The edges of warm and cold water can be productive.

When you do stumble across biting fish on finbait, it can be a blast as the strikes can be pretty vicious and fast. This is when it doesn't matter what you are throwing.

I have attached some pictures. The one halibut is 43", the corbina is 24", and the perch picture I wear a 11.5 size shoe. The good thing about surf fishing is you can drive the coast to look at conditions fish for 30 minutes and be at a totally different zone quickly by driving to a new location. Happy hunting because surf fishing is more about hunting them down on any particular day in who knows where spot.

august 16, 2015 027.JPG corbina 001.JPG october 7, 2015 006.JPG october 5, 2015 015.JPG september 28, 2015 135.JPG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. Aliikai17

Aliikai17 Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Less now
    Sp minnows good? $9.95 can't go wrong! But I never got anything yet...

4. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    The only thing that works for me in the surf is Berkley Gulp 2" camo sand worms. Perch, croaker, small halibut...

5. remington

remington Member

Name:
    Me
    Boat:
    Spartacus
    Excellent bait for the species you listed and I would also add corbina as well.

One note, if you're catching (small) halibut pretty darn good odds the larger models are in the area too. I would definitely recommend switching it up and start throwing a LC, Kroc or a swim bait appropriate for the conditions. The drop shot can also be deadly too. Tie on anything pearl/white for (halibut) and don't be afraid to D/S freshwater creature baits for other targeted species. Some really cool FW plastic to be found online!

Cubeye and MRC70 like this.
  6. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Best rig for me in surf are my steelhead rods. 8'6" -9' Lamiglass MH with appropriate size spinning reel. I fish 20lb braid with 5' 10lb fluoro.

Cubeye and Aliikai17 like this.
  7. ironslinger.805

ironslinger.805 Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    None
    Lucky crafts in my part of the pacific get you some nice barred surf perch. If you're lucky and there happen to be stripers in the mix, you'll catch those as well. SP minnows work too, have caught some pig perch with them. Both fish pictured below were caught on SP minnows.

IMG_1006.JPG IMG_0958.JPG

Tackleho619, Cubeye and Vernonia like this.
  8. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    I'm still a total amateur, but my luck has been from a Metallic Sardine 100DD Surf Pointer. The Pointers seem to have a wider retrieve rate sweet spot than the Minnows, and they're rated to run 8-10ft so they can get right in the face of the halis. They'll come right up to the surface in pretty much any depth but it seems like sometimes getting it down there tempts them more. Really though I think it's just that it's easier to get them running right. I usually just steadily wind a few cranks just fast enough to feel it wobble through the rod tip with some pauses mixed in. I've had very little success with the FM110 with every kind of retrieve I can imagine but the the Surf Pointers I've done pretty well with very little effort, even going back and forth between the two to see if it was just chance, but they really seemed to want the SP more. I recently bought a couple of the regular Pointers so I'm looking to see how they do. Action looks really good, only they suspend, like the Minnows, but the Surf Pointers sink.

I usually just throw Metallic Sardine or Salty Pearl White if I'm looking for halis, are there any specific colors the WSB like?

Cubeye likes this.
  9. Ryansd84

Ryansd84 Newbie

Name:
    Ryansd84
    Boat:
    Pride
    IMG_4446.JPG

gimme likes this.
  10. Ryansd84

Ryansd84 Newbie

Name:
    Ryansd84
    Boat:
    Pride
    They work great, but I love the gulp camo/red sand worms. 21 perch not to mention a hali to start it off Sunday in IB/silver strand

11. TheToxicJon

TheToxicJon Newbie

Name:
    jonathan cotter
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    127mr work really good in harbors and bays. Color depends on water clarity. This fish was caught In Chocolate milk water. Sp work good in surf for me because they run pretty shallow. I have had success on Both

20170120_095115.jpg

12. sierraed

sierraed Long rods and big boats

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris and Intrepid
    Nice fun board

13. Preempt

Preempt Newbie

Name:
    Charlie
    Boat:
    Solona SUP
    I primary target perch and crokers using a Carolina rig to a Gulp camo worm(braid>egg weight>swevel >leader>hook). When I run across a spot where the perch is on the chew, I'll often cut the rig and re rig up to my LC, going from braid RP knot to a 15# mono leader. Often finding that the hali's are sticking tight to the perch.

gimme likes this.
  14. smog7

smog7 Newbie

Name:
    omar
    Boat:
    blob
    Any particular way you guys carry your stickbaits? Those treble hooks can get real nasty in bags and tackle boxes.

15. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Have you ever tried single hooks on you LCs?
    You use straight 15# mono. No more braid?

16. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I use a small rubber band to tie the treble hooks together on each lure. Some have two, some have three trebles. I do the same on my spoons that have one treble, but I tie the hook to the ring at the front of the lure.

17. remington

remington Member

Name:
    Me
    Boat:
    Spartacus
    Ahh...that’s actually a 9’0” high performance Terry Senate that surfs like a short board. Hardly a fun board.

18. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Old thread but...

I keep them in their OG packaging, and I remove the middle hook. Helps when releasing fish. Or when dealing with an angry triple hooked halibut.

19. Brent Lee

Brent Lee Newbie

Name:
    Divebug
    Boat:
    Island Tak
    I store my Lucky Crafts in a toothbrush holder.