fishforfun2

Hunter Gatherer
Feb 5, 2005
Redondo Beach
Name
Dale
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 18
I bought a condo down in San Jose del Cabo and plan on doing lots of surf fishing in the area. What rods and reels are best? Jensen tackle sells a heavy 2 piece 13' rod that I was going to buy but need more then one set up. Shimano twin power14000 for rooster or 10000 or Daiwa BG 6500 ,Penn battle li? I'm thinking 10000 size for rooster and 6500 or so size for smaller fish. Plan on doing alot of casting Cabo Killer lures etc.
What reels rods work for you? I may get a quad, planning on exploring east and west. Driving down next week
Thanks Dale

elskel

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 15, 2005
Laguna Beach CA / El Pescadero BCS
Name
Brian Knott
Boat
21' Baja Bayrunner
Hey Amigo, I live and fish quite a bit up north on the Pacific side, Pescadero area. I have quite a few set ups. My rods are Jansen 13' Baja Beach. My heavy reels are Diawa Saltigas 6500H and my lighter reels are Shimano Ultegras 5500. That is not to say the 5500's wont handle the larger fish. I typically use 50# Power Pro Max Quatro (25% smaller diameter, more capacity smaller reels) with either a 50# or 80# top shot of Flouro. Stephen Jansen Inshore, has all of the lures you will need, (at least in the beginning). I am North right now visiting my kid's, give me a holler if you have any questions. Will be home beginning of January, I do have a Instagram page bk_elskel, check it out.
Tight Lines, bk

Last edited:

ThatOlBoy

I got your well-known member swingin', buddy
Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
Blackman 23, Robalo 23, C-Dory 21, Glasspar 18
I recently bought one of the Cabo Surfcaster branded Century 12 footers. Pricey, but I've been shore fishing down here my whole life and the Century is far and away the best surf rod I've ever used. Wes Brough sells them down here, he's CaboSurfcaster on all the Facebooks and Instagrams. Hit him up, he can tell you more about it. Before I had the Century I kind of went back and forth between a 12' Okuma Longitude and a 12' Penn Squadron, which were both pretty good.

Saltist 5000 with 40 or 50 is plenty for Roosters. You can step up to 6500 if you want, but it isn't really necessary. Lugging around a 10000 or 14000 all morning sounds like a nightmare. You don't need a ton of line capacity. You keep your drag pretty tight so you can get fish in before they find rocks, and the fish you'll be hooking in the surf tend to run lateral to the beach rather than straight out, so do yourself a favor and get something lighter that won't wear you out. In addition to my Saltists (I run a 5000 with 40 and a 6500 with 50), I have a couple Penn Spinfishers, which are good reels, but the Daiwas cast a little better, so that's what I'd recommend.

A nice rig to have that people don't really mention much is a super whippy surf rod. I have the light Daiwa Sealine Surf, which is great. Sometimes it's all small Sierra or Jacks or whatever, and you want to go with small spoons or light Rapalas, or something like that. It's nice to have a rig where you can get some decent distance with light jigs. I run that Sealine with like a 2000 or 3000 spooled with 15 lb braid, which works well. Just make sure your hooks are super sharp, it can be tough to get a good hook set with a 12' noodle.

fishforfun2

Hunter Gatherer
Feb 5, 2005
Redondo Beach
Name
Dale
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 18
Thanks for info! I'm over gunned right now with a shimano twin power 1400 so I will get a smaller reel,I like daiwa saltisit for the price.
I got a 13' rod from Jansens inshore tackle but when fighting a tough little Jack I tried to put rod butt in below my belly and the length of rod below reel is too long,reel is a stretch for me ,I'm 5'10".
I will get a lighter set up

ThatOlBoy

I got your well-known member swingin', buddy
Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
Blackman 23, Robalo 23, C-Dory 21, Glasspar 18
Yeah the surf rods tend to have that long butt for casting distance. Cock one leg up on your toes and rest the butt on your upper thigh. It'll be weird at first, but you'll get used to it.

Skycruiser

Dec 26, 2010
Auburn, WA, USA
Name
Bo Schinski
I love my 14' Tica Salmon-Steelhead rod for sending 1 1/2 oz Kastmasters WAY out there for Sierras. I've got a 4000 Shimano Stradic on mine with 30 PowerPro and a 60 Fluoro leader tied on with an FG knot. Mine is a two-piece but I see they're making a three-piece now.

Watch them in a pool sometime and you'll see that if you keep the slack out of the line those Kastmasters sink with a side-to-side swing on them while maintaining the hook rearward. I used to crank 'em fast as I could across the surface as soon as they landed but now I've learned better. As soon as they hit the water, crank up the slack and lower your rod tip as they sink. With a little experience you'll feel the tip relax when they hit the bottom. Count to three and give them ten cranks as fast as you can while you lift the rod tip, then let it settle down to the bottom as you slowly drop your rod tip again. Count to three and crank it all the way in as fast as you can again. Toss it out again and repeat. Most of your hits come on the drops or in the first four cranks pulling it off the bottom.
Counting to three allows for the curious fish to swim over to look at the crippled fish dropping to the bottom. When they see him trying to get away, they pounce.

joezee1986

Baja Bound Salt Junkies
Sep 5, 2012
Chico, CA
Name
Joseph Zaragoza
Boat
Last Cast Ensenada / Mag Bay Lodge
Get some cabo killers and rangers. must have in your arsenal red/white is my favorite. Also Shimano make some smaller colt sniper stickbaits