Surf fishing San Felipe

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by killerfin, Oct 29, 2013.

1. killerfin

killerfin You fight like a girl !!!

Name:
    Felipe
    Boat:
    Your Mama
    I have been to San felipe for Tony Reyes trips only but looking to go surf fishing down there this weekend. Has any ony had any luck down there? Any help is appricated..

2. hyperiodic

hyperiodic Newbie

Fished down there 2 weeks ago on my way to Gonzaga. Megabaits and Swimbaits. Orange mouth corvina were everywhere. Caught the usual bay bass and triggerfish. Nothing really out of the ordinary. Only fished it for a few hours.

3. fishmanbh

fishmanbh World Class Shark Fishing

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    www.worldclasssharkfishing.com
    fished there a few times years ago. pretty much wfo on a variety of species. i used squid i brought down with me and then cut bait. im not sure what all the species were but it was every cast and a total blast.

4. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Yep, the large ones were there 2 weeks ago 20+ lbs. I don't know if they still are, but it's worth hiring a Panga if they are. Incoming tide usually is the best time, what beach were you planning on trying???

5. killerfin

Name:
    Felipe
    Boat:
    Your Mama
    By the malicon all the way down by where the mother ship docks .I have never surfed fished that area at all but if you have a suggestion please let me, No not looking for you prime spot just looking to catch fish and relax down there for the weekend. </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

6. Gil Marlin

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    I've never fished in front of town before, I would think the beaches south of the Marina would be better. I fish south and north of my place in Percebu, the key is finding a spot with some rocks or clay outcroppings from my experience. A trip south to Puertocitos is only an hours drive and you can fish from the rocks or the sand...

7. killerfin

Name:
    Felipe
    Boat:
    Your Mama
    Thanks
    I give that a try if all fails I will rent a panga

8. hyperiodic

hyperiodic Newbie

Yeah what killerfin said. Anywhere there are rocks I would fish. Using the cut squid you can catch fish all day and night. Mostly small grunts, stingrays, catfish, and Spotted Bay Bass. With the occasional trigger, hogfish and some dark brown stripped fish with the craziest, most sharp teeth I have ever seen; literally a mouth full of needles.
    A Few weeks ago, I literally caught 20-25 corvina in a few hours. Mostly orange mouth, and a few shortfin. There are a lot of shrimp in the water, so maybe using those for bait would be an idea, an expensive idea. I fished farther south, from one of the camps. I don't remember the name but it was right before the giant cactus garden. There were rocks there, and the time was incoming.

Swimbaits always worked for me but it seems like every fish in the Sea of Cortez has some sharp-ass teeth; be prepared to use a lot of soft plastics. Like I said before, Megabaits (or any knife-type jig) also work great. Rapala type minnow baits work well, especially for trolling.

Good luck

9. nordic flyer

nordic flyer Member

Name:
    Dain
    Boat:
    30' PROLINE Hunt Bch 26' boat San Felipe MX
    That is great advise!

10. Gil Marlin

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
  11. Sherm

Sherm aka: The Sherminator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Yak

Ditto. Puertocitos has much better shore fishing. Crocs and plastics and Gulp baits work well.

12. LilFishBaja

LilFishBaja Aquaholic

Name:
    Mondo
    Boat:
    Kayak/L.R.
    Ive never seen Corvina over 20lbs in SFB.. If ya get anything over 20 lbs that a croaker and not a white sea bass, toss it back... You can get in some hot water...

13. Gil Marlin

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    They are Orange Mouth Corvina like the ones the Salton Sea used to be stocked with...

14. Jalos11

Jalos11 Newbie

Name:
    Javier
    Boat:
    Shogun
    I fished off the beach next to El Dorado about 9 kilometers north of town, had little luck using cut squid I took down with me, caught a few small boca dulce (sweet mouth), after taking a ride out to the dock where the tony reyes loads up, off the rocks on cut squid it is every cast a quick, spotted bay bass or trigger fish, or an assortment of fish I dont really know their name, but use a long rod they tend to run into the rocks.
    The pangas charge $40 per person and I think that is a way to go but since I went there for the shrimp festival I needed to stay on land this trip

15. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    LOL this made my day.. so true.

do you mean something like this fish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2014