ThatOlBoy

I got your well-known member swingin', buddy
Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
Blackman 23, Robalo 23, C-Dory 21, Glasspar 18
Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I need... it sounds like I'll also want some long rods that I can cast a mile? 12 foot maybe, or is a 7 ft rod ok?

Definately go long. Don't just get a cheapo either. If you get a big ol' telephone pole, you won't have enough whip to get lighter lures out. And if you get a whippy little thing, you'll get your ass kicked if you run into something big. The super serious guys use Cousins and Century, but I get by with a Daiwa Sealine Surf. Pretty good little rod for 70 bucks or so.

Upvote 0

ThatOlBoy

Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
I got a Penn Prevail 10' Medium action surf rod and an Okuma Cedros 55s. Should I put 30# braid on it or mono?

40 or 50# braid. I hate braid, and I don't use it for anything else, but you absolutely need the abrasion resistance around the rocks. Bring plenty of fluoro too. Use 30-60# topshots depending on the size of the lure you're using.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
40 or 50# braid. I hate braid, and I don't use it for anything else, but you absolutely need the abrasion resistance around the rocks. Bring plenty of fluoro too. Use 30-60# topshots depending on the size of the lure you're using.
I agree with the braid for casting purposes, but mono has much more abrasive resistance than braid.

Upvote 0

faster u fool

Mar 24, 2009
ramona, Ca
Name
chris
Boat
19' baker 86
I went with a two piece 11ft. med heavy 2 to 6 oz rod and the shimano ultegra 10000. its a great set up, put 65lb braid on it and used a 40 lb blackwater flouro leader. worked out great I only fished the beach in front of the finesterra and playa grande. good activity all around in the morning but only managed a hand full of blow up and two fish that stuck for a few seconds. I threw everything at them too. rangers and poppers got the hits. I did hear of some wahoo chasing sierra at pueblo bonito but couldnt get in there. also some big foamers about 200 yrds off the beach in the evening. fun to watch but too far to cast.
I packed my rod in a rod tube with my lures and checked it. took the reel and everything else on the plane. Flew Alaska. Hope the bite picks up they were not commiting last month.

Upvote 0

ThatOlBoy

Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
I agree with the braid for casting purposes, but mono has much more abrasive resistance than braid.

No way, man. With a fish of any size, if that mono touches a rock, it pops immediately. I fished mono for 20 years down there before I switched to braid. The braid holds up way better after it gets rubbed on the rocks.

Upvote 0

vandenhooff

vandenhooff
Dec 30, 2010
Richmond, BC, Canada
Name
Dennis
Boat
Montauk 170 - Marisail
Mono or flouro for your leader, but for the main line use braid only. It's much tougher when rubbed against structure and has a smaller diameter than mono. The latter means better casting performance (read: distance).

I'm headed to San Jose del Cabo in three weeks! Woohoo. Any one else?

Upvote 0

elskel

Almost A Member
Apr 15, 2005
Laguna Beach CA / El Pescadero BCS
Name
Brian Knott
Boat
21' Baja Bayrunner
A few fish caught last week on the Pacific side, Elias Calle area. Chino Mero and Sierra.
bk

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Mono or flouro for your leader, but for the main line use braid only. It's much tougher when rubbed against structure and has a smaller diameter than mono. The latter means better casting performance (read: distance).

I'm headed to San Jose del Cabo in three weeks! Woohoo. Any one else?

April 10-17th

Upvote 0

Ctony.clark

Jun 14, 2012
Carlsbad, Ca, u.s.a.
Name
Tony Clark
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
Anyone else going to be down April 10-17th?
Maybe we can arrange a shared charter.
PM me.
Will be in Cabo the week of May 25th through 29th, any good surf fishing near the Hilton?? Also any one else going to be there during that time. I booked something with Cass tours, including a 26 foot super Panga, think they use Gordo Banks, any comments, love to fish in the surf as well, live in Carlsbad, so plenty of practice.

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Well the surf fishing has not been to good here on the eastside. My buddy has caught a few small fish using squid bought from Mega. No Sierra or real sizable fish caught. On the good side the surf has pumped and will build thru Sunday! Supposed to be 6-10 feet. Shipwrecks was close to epic today. Water has warmed to 75 degrees. No reports for offshore fishing.

Upvote 0

vandenhooff

vandenhooff
Dec 30, 2010
Richmond, BC, Canada
Name
Dennis
Boat
Montauk 170 - Marisail
Well the surf fishing has not been to good here on the eastside. My buddy has caught a few small fish using squid bought from Mega. No Sierra or real sizable fish caught. On the good side the surf has pumped and will build thru Sunday! Supposed to be 6-10 feet. Shipwrecks was close to epic today. Water has warmed to 75 degrees. No reports for offshore fishing.

Hi bparker1225:
When you say east side are you refering to San Jose del Cabo?

Upvote 0

ThatOlBoy

Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
Will be in Cabo the week of May 25th through 29th, any good surf fishing near the Hilton?? Also any one else going to be there during that time. I booked something with Cass tours, including a 26 foot super Panga, think they use Gordo Banks, any comments, love to fish in the surf as well, live in Carlsbad, so plenty of practice.

I just got back last week. Had really good luck all over the corridor. Lots of Pargo in the rocks at night, and tons of Sierra up to about 10 with similar grade Crevalle and small Gallos mixed in feeding under working Terns in the afternoons. Hopefully the Terns stick around for you, they show you right where the fish are. Had one day where I got bored and left them biting after 50 fish (48 Sierra, 2 Crevalle). Be ready to donate some gear, the Sierra wouldn't touch anything with wire on it. Mint and white small heavy 544 iron and 3-inch Krocodiles worked best.

Upvote 0