ThatOlBoy

I got your well-known member swingin', buddy
Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
Blackman 23, Robalo 23, C-Dory 21, Glasspar 18
Is that foolproof? I've thought about taking along a Sharpie, but I'm just so used to tying the knot . . .

I switched from knot to swivel maybe 3 years ago just because it's so much faster to change lures. Nothing worse than struggling with a knot trying switch that light plug for a big spoon when there are fish boiling just out of reach. I haven't been sawed off a single time. This last trip the surf was loaded with little 2-pound Sierra, but I didn't have any problems.

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Once again, this site proves it's worth. A lot of good info, the essence of which is: There is no perfect solution, but many great options. Chris, take notes, but never be afraid to experiment. Fish how, where, and with baits that give you confidence, and please share your successes and failures! Trust me, we're all still learning. . .

Yeah, I should probably use the modified Albright. I trust guys like Dave and ThatOlBoy. But I'm stubborn. My Uni's have never failed me, and I like to tie them. Wire can work well, but I never use it. I will occasionally tie a snap on the end of my leader if I'm truly searching, and know I'll be switching baits a lot, even though some will say that's a "no-no." Have fun. Between web info and Jansens, you should have a good head-start.

PS -- I'm a solid proponent of removing the bail-arm in your reel, esp. if you're not using a swivel. Check out http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/19215713/All about wind knots (or stripers online) for this, and more great surfcasting info. Also, hiring a guide like Wesley Brough (Cabo) or Felipe Valdez (E. Cape) severely shortens the learning curve. Saludos.

Upvote 0

faster u fool

Mar 24, 2009
ramona, Ca
Name
chris
Boat
19' baker 86
yes all great info, I think its gonna be just like maui, on a bigger level. I really appreciate all the great info..Hope to get on something.

Upvote 0

ThatOlBoy

Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
Once again, this site proves it's worth. A lot of good info, the essence of which is: There is no perfect solution, but many great options. Chris, take notes, but never be afraid to experiment. Fish how, where, and with baits that give you confidence, and please share your successes and failures! Trust me, we're all still learning. . .

Yeah, I should probably use the modified Albright. I trust guys like Dave and ThatOlBoy. But I'm stubborn. My Uni's have never failed me, and I like to tie them. Wire can work well, but I never use it. I will occasionally tie a snap on the end of my leader if I'm truly searching, and know I'll be switching baits a lot, even though some will say that's a "no-no." Have fun. Between web info and Jansens, you should have a good head-start.

PS -- I'm a solid proponent of removing the bail-arm in your reel, esp. if you're not using a swivel. Check out http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/19215713/All about wind knots (or stripers online) for this, and more great surfcasting info. Also, hiring a guide like Wesley Brough (Cabo) or Felipe Valdez (E. Cape) severely shortens the learning curve. Saludos.

Wes Brough is the man. I pretty much just copy him.

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2010
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Wes Brough is the man. I pretty much just copy him.
Same here. He is to be emulated. Dude is ridiculous! Yeah, Marcos (and Stephen) have the info, gear, and techniques dialed, but don't guide -- until you fish alongside a master, watching and getting feedback, you're missing out on a lot. Which is not to say you can't still have fun!

Upvote 0

Pinoyfisher

Almost A Member
Nov 15, 2006
San Diego, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
9' to 12' rods is best. Light, long rods to get a long cast and less fatigue. Reels with high inches per crank are the best. The higher the retrieval rate, the less work you do.

When fishing from only a sandy beach:
Cast out past the breakers for the bigger roosters and toros. Shorter casts will result in smaller roosters and toros. High speed retrieves are a must if you want to get into roosters, sierra, needles, and toros. DO NOT slow down your retrieve when you see a fish chasing your lure or it will not strike your lure.

Fishing around structure:
I'll slow down my retrieve here and change up the lure used. I'll even bounce a lure along the bottom.

A sampling of the lures I bring:
Sebille Stick Shads
Surface Irons
Rapala X-Raps
Cast Masters
Krocodiles
Megabaits
Poppers
Robert's Rangers
Sierra Killers
Surface Tension
Pencil Poppers
Mark White lures

Just to name a few. I don't even bother with plastics, they'll come back bitten in half every time and that gets expensive!

If you have the time, bait is very effective too. I like to bring sabikis, tip them with tiny strips of squid and jig up some live bait. Then toss out said live bait on another rig either fly lined or, if near rocks, dropper looped and hold on for pargo, grouper, or hawkfish. Cut bait like squid and shrimp fished on a dropper loop will catch you all kinds of stuff!

I like lots of braid backing, no line stretch = solid hook sets. A very short mono leader for abrasion resistance. As was mentioned earlier:

http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/19215723/FrontPage

Invaluable information for fishing Cabo. I have been fishing Cabo every year for the past 6 years and it's awesome! Leaving there sucks.

Upvote 0

POPEYE-SCOTT

Sep 7, 2010
Tacoma, Wa
Name
Popeye
Boat
Sport Craft 252 Fishmaster
I have a few Avet MXL MC reels for Albi live bait fishing... does anyone have any recommendations as to whether I could put this to work as a surf fishing reel? Seems like its going against what I'm reading, and I see a lot fewer cast rods available then spin rods. But I sure love them for casting iron off the boat.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Surf fishing is kinda like kayak fishing. You do not usually want to use your top of the line gear because the salt and sand will destroy it. Spinners are more popular just because it is easier for most people to cast long distances.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2010
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Tons of threads about this topic....

I use a 4 piece musky/pike travel rod"

Any more info on the rod?

Pinoyfisher -- great post -- I've NEVER had luck altering my retrieve to try and entice/trigger a following fish (whether faster, slower, more erratic, etc..) But no Cabo Killers on your list?!

Popeye, those reels look OK, use them if they're in your arsenal and you're comfortable with them. That said, there are many bait casting reels with higher ratios, and it's kinda nice to put your whole body into a cast and be able to forget about your thumb.

I differ from Philip on this -- I use my best everything all the time. I've lost too many fish to do otherwise. Just take care of your reel (don't submerge it in saltwater or set it in the sand. Rinse, deconstruct, oil/grease as needed. Reels come with all those diagrams and descriptions for a reason!)

That said, find what works for you! Saludos.

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Surf fishing is kinda like kayak fishing. You do not usually want to use your top of the line gear because the salt and sand will destroy it. Spinners are more popular just because it is easier for most people to cast long distances.

Here is my perspective: for beginning surf fishermen the cheap reels are ok for triggers and the tiny shore fish. However in Cabo we target challenging gamefish. Large jack crevelle (Toros), Roosterfish up to 75 pounds, larger sierra, yellowtail, dorado, pargo, and even yellowfin are all possible. I have caught many of these species. Most of the really serious fishermen use the Stella 18000. You really need a reel with lost of drag and lots of power. Cheap reels not do have that. I use a Saragosa and wash/ clean it religiously. As for casting, I began using my Newells and my Trinidad. I cast significantly further using the Saragosa. My friends consistently make casts approaching 100 yards. The link I mentioned in a previous post above, has a great video of Jansen catching big gamefish off of the beach. A real possibility every day down here.

Upvote 0

ThatOlBoy

Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
I have a few Avet MXL MC reels for Albi live bait fishing... does anyone have any recommendations as to whether I could put this to work as a surf fishing reel? Seems like its going against what I'm reading, and I see a lot fewer cast rods available then spin rods. But I sure love them for casting iron off the boat.

Only problem with the conventional reels is that sometimes you want to use lighter lures. The party boat style stuff would work great if you were using nothing but big iron, but good luck getting a Ranger or Rebel out to where you need it without a spinning reel on a long rod.

I've got a pretty badass set up with a little ATV with a few rod holders, so since I have the space I'll usually bring along a Newell/Jigstick combo in case I run into a little jack for live bait. But if I'm casting, I'm using spinning gear.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2011
Vancouver, WA
www.bcsfishing.blogspot.com
Name
John
Boat
22' Seasport
Surf fishing down there can be fun, but it can be a cold bite too. I will take a 12' rod and my cousin takes his 13' rod down. I will bring x-wraps, rogers, surface poppers, and lead triangles with 3-way swivels for bait fishing.

www.bcsfishing.blogspot.com

Looking north at the jetty near San Jose del Cabo.

Lastday.jpg

Fishing a couple miles north of San Jose del Cabo.

surffishing.jpg

Tecate at 7 a.m. while surf fishing!

Tecate.jpg

Upvote 0

vandenhooff

vandenhooff
Dec 30, 2010
Richmond, BC, Canada
Name
Dennis
Boat
Montauk 170 - Marisail
does anyone have recommendations for a good travel rod to take to cabo? I'll be there in april, and want to do some surf fishing when not offshore.

Hi Bloodfart (btw you might want to get that checked out ;) )
Check with your airline's checked baggage policy first before you buy a travel rod. You might be pleasantly surprised. With Alaska Airlines the following is considered one piece of regular sized baggage and costs only $25. It's on their website under Baggage, Sports Equipment:
  • Fishing
    One piece of fishing equipment is defined as two rods, two reels, and one tackle box. Fishing equipment may exceed 62 linear inches, but no more than 115 linear inches (length + height + width), without incurring an oversize fee.
I check my telescopic bazooka tube with two surf rods inside and a duffle bag with my hard-sided tackle case inside it with plugs, metals, extra line, leader, weights... you get the idea. I usually pack my reels with me in my carry on (carry on is free). I always arrive with too much gear and never use it all :)

Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
does anyone have recommendations for a good travel rod to take to cabo? I'll be there in april, and want to do some surf fishing when not offshore.

I bring a 7 foot 4-piece musky rod that works pretty well with a spinning reel loaded with 30 pound braid. I can carry it on without paying any baggage fees...Okuma makes some decent travel rods as well...

Upvote 0

vandenhooff

vandenhooff
Dec 30, 2010
Richmond, BC, Canada
Name
Dennis
Boat
Montauk 170 - Marisail
I like the thought of taking it as a carry on and not having to incur the $25 fee. That's $25 more for beer!

Good point, beer is important :) gotta stay hydrated.

Think of it another way. What's your travel rod gonna cost - I presume you'll purchase a half-decent one? Cheap rod + big fish = disappointment waiting to happen.

Will you be bringing any lures with hooks? You must check your hooks; and some airlines insist reels (because of the line) go in check baggage too. What about a knife, pliers, and other tools (I bring these)? So if your airline allows a rod and tackle bag for $25 that's cheaper than the cost of a decent travel rod.

One thing is for sure, checked bags or not, you'll have a blast! We're going back in May and can't wait!

Reactions: bloodfart
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2010
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Reactions: bloodfart
Upvote 0

CaptJgray

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Take some topwater lures like zara spooks and Badonk - A - Donk's

the topwater bite was absolutely ridiculous for me

I take a rod tube with 3 bass/inshore rods
5 reels
and a spool of 15 and 20

take decent reels

on my first trip ever down there I melted the insides of a Corsair after hooking a big ass Dog Tooth on a topwater plug.

Ive never had a fish pull that hard and that fast before...

Sierra's make great ceviche!

Upvote 0

Pinoyfisher

Almost A Member
Nov 15, 2006
San Diego, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I need... it sounds like I'll also want some long rods that I can cast a mile? 12 foot maybe, or is a 7 ft rod ok?

I don't think 7' is enough rod to get your lure out past the breakers.

Upvote 0