Surf fishing in cabo?

faster u fool

Mar 24, 2009
ramona, Ca
Name
chris
Boat
19' baker 86
Does anyone have any info on surffishing in Cabo. I will be there first week of Feb. staying at the finestera. I think I have a pretty good idea, wondering what size of rod and reel to bring and wht I might expect for a bite this time of year.
Thanks in advance
Chris.

Upvote 0

1morefishwy

Dec 20, 2011
Casper, WY USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Ranger
If you are at the Finestera by Solomar; there is a nice beach right out front. I tried fishing there over Christmas one afternoon. I did not have any luck, but talked to guy who had actually caught two DORADO, from the beach. He had a very long, like over 12 foot rod and could cast a mile. He was using a large metal lure, like a crocodile. There may be more sierra when you are there and that would be better. I never saw any bait breaking or birds diving or anything. I think fishing dawn and dusk would have maybe helped for me. It sounds like this beach can be good times. I did catch an unknown fish off the beach near TS. Anyone know what this is? I would recommend a very long surf rod for this area. The surf there can be large. I'm sure someone else can offer better info..Good luck.
Cabo Christmas 2014 155.jpg

Upvote 0

Sober

Almost A Member
Sep 24, 2006
Arizona
Name
Steve
Boat
Hobie Outback
I was down there in Dec and had a 7ft medium rod tossing a 1/2 ounce kastmaster. Wish I had a bit more reach but that was a 3 piece rod that fit into the overhead. However I did land two small Roosters (12-14 inch) and a ladyfish. From what I heard this is not a great time in the surf down there. There is a good store called Jansens (SP) that seems to be in the know on the surf action.
You might get some Sierras-bring 30lb leader and possibly short wire, and a variety of kastmaster types-not real sure what swimming plugs if any. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Good luck and enjoy

Upvote 0

willsurf02

El Guero Marinero
Apr 7, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
www.epicpacificcharters.com
Name
Will
Boat
Epic Pacific
Chris,

If you're staying at the Finisterra...you're in luck! Playa Grande is a great stretch of beach to surf fish! Just be careful of the shore break as it can get big and scary at times! The sierras and roosters should be showing up around this time of year and into the next few months. Just walk up and down the beach from the Solmar to the rocks North of the Finisterra! I've had some luck fishing off the rocks too!

Bring at least an 8ft surf casting rod. Typically I rig up with 50 lb spectra backing and a 3 ft 20lb fluoro leader. Bring Kastmasters and Megabaits! Those always seem to work well and you'll be able to cast them a lot further past the breakers.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: peteking
Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Tons of threads about this topic....

I use a 4 piece musky/pike travel rod, with a spinning reel rigged with 30 pound braid and 40 pound fluorocarbon leader. Much easier/cheaper to pack around than a big surf rod. Bring some wire leaders in case you get into sierra. For lures, 1-2 oz Kastmasters, Krokodiles, zara spook style topwaters and swimbaits. People love Roberts Rangers as well. My wife has caught everything that swims out there with a 1 oz Kastmaster with a bucktail dressed hook.....Get out before first light for the best action as the sun comes up....

Upvote 0

faster u fool

Mar 24, 2009
ramona, Ca
Name
chris
Boat
19' baker 86
Thanks thats about what I thought. And yes I know that beach can be a back breaker. I was down a few years back and one of our friends that lives there kid would skim board that break it was the most impressive thing I have ever seen.
Last time I was there the beach kinda looked like this.

sandos-finisterra-los.jpg

Upvote 0

Baja Bytes

Baja Editor
May 11, 2011
Lake Elsinore, CA USA
www.garycgraham.com
Name
Gary Graham
Boat
Watercloset
Does anyone have any info on surffishing in Cabo. I will be there first week of Feb. staying at the finestera. I think I have a pretty good idea, wondering what size of rod and reel to bring and wht I might expect for a bite this time of year.
Thanks in advance
Chris.
Now, 15 years later, Jansen Inshore Tackle, located in a corner of the Mar de Cortez Hotel in downtown Cabo San Lucas, has emerged as the “go to” shop, specifically focusing on the tackle required for Baja Beaches. Full story next week in Baja Bytes column

Reactions: Htnfool and tap
Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Just returned last nite from a week down there. Bring some three oz. Ranger lures in White and red. Also I use a Saragosa SW 8000 that I love. Fishing was very good, caught lots of Sierra, no rooster fish, but I lost a large dorado fishing off of Pescadero. The surf fishing is really a blast and there are so many possibilities as far as what you might catch!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
If you are at the Finestera by Solomar; there is a nice beach right out front. I tried fishing there over Christmas one afternoon. I did not have any luck, but talked to guy who had actually caught two DORADO, from the beach. He had a very long, like over 12 foot rod and could cast a mile. He was using a large metal lure, like a crocodile. There may be more sierra when you are there and that would be better. I never saw any bait breaking or birds diving or anything. I think fishing dawn and dusk would have maybe helped for me. It sounds like this beach can be good times. I did catch an unknown fish off the beach near TS. Anyone know what this is? I would recommend a very long surf rod for this area. The surf there can be large. I'm sure someone else can offer better info..Good luck.
View attachment 564889
Looks like a leatherjacket.

Reactions: peteking
Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
I was down there in Dec and had a 7ft medium rod tossing a 1/2 ounce kastmaster. Wish I had a bit more reach but that was a 3 piece rod that fit into the overhead. However I did land two small Roosters (12-14 inch) and a ladyfish. From what I heard this is not a great time in the surf down there. There is a good store called Jansens (SP) that seems to be in the know on the surf action.
You might get some Sierras-bring 30lb leader and possibly short wire, and a variety of kastmaster types-not real sure what swimming plugs if any. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Good luck and enjoy

Wire = no fish. Never use wire.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I have caught tons of fish in the surf using wire. Sierras, jacks, ladyfish. Use the premade shorty steel leaders. 8 to 12 inches is plenty. Also do not go overboard on the strength. Lighter and shorter is better. Less impact on lure action.

Upvote 0

ThatOlBoy

I got your well-known member swingin', buddy
Oct 22, 2012
San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
Name
ThatOlBoy
Boat
Blackman 23, Robalo 23, C-Dory 21, Glasspar 18
Long rod is good, especially for Sierra. Lets you whip it out there even if you're using lighter lures. I use a 13' Diawa Sealine Surf. Big real is also good. I use a Saltist 4500. Also, bring a light bass/trout setup. It's fun catching little Sierra and Machetes on super light gear when there's nothing else going on. Small Kastmasters do the trick.

Braid is an absolute must. I hate braid, but most of your action will come around the rocks, and the abrasion resistance is essential. Use about 3 feet of big fluro above the lure. I use a swivel, and pre-tie my fluoro to all my lures for quick changing. With little Rapalas and Spoons I use 25 or 30 pound, all the way up to 60 pound for big plugs.

I've absolutely slayed my last few trips with Sebile Magic Swimmers (pictured in 1morefish's post). Also bring some Krocodiles in various sizes, big plugs and jerk baits, surface iron, different-sized Rapalas/Rebels (gold Rebels kill Sierra), and pick up a Cabo Killer if you swing by Jansen's. Generally speaking, bright colors tend to get more action. Pretty sure they just show up better in the stirred-up water. Also, rig a big hook with big fluoro, and if you run into a little Green Jack or Crevalle, rig him up and toss him out as live bait. And the surf may be too big where you will be, but if you can get it to stick, toss out a dropper loop with some squid, shrimp, or fresh dark-meat fish on there, and kick back with a cerveza.

For locations, pretty much just find some rocks and work 'em hard. It's hard to go too wrong.

Good luck

Upvote 0

faster u fool

Mar 24, 2009
ramona, Ca
Name
chris
Boat
19' baker 86
Thanks everyone for all of the great info. I'm bummed I will only have a few days to play in the surf, and will probably be stuck to the one beach unless we dont go out on the boat. Hope to stick something out there, but will still be nice to try it out. we do it in maui but usually just small reef critters.

Upvote 0

vandenhooff

vandenhooff
Dec 30, 2010
Richmond, BC, Canada
Name
Dennis
Boat
Montauk 170 - Marisail
Be ready to reel like mad man, or, bring a high ratio reel (45+ inches per one revolution of the handle). Game fish down there are not interested in slow moving bait/lures. Good luck!

Oh and remember, you maybe "stuck on the beach" but the rest of us we'll be stuck at home - LOL. Enjoy

Upvote 0

Latest posts