Surf Fishing in Big Sur

boswell

Sep 19, 2003
Marina del Rey
Name
jay
Boat
no got
We're staying three nights in Gorda up in Big Sur, next month. I want to do some surf fishing around there. I have no idea if there's MLPAs, or what general beaches to fish (I'm not looking to poach your spot). I'd appreciate any info regarding what size line to bring, what kind of jigs/bait, etc. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Sand Dollar Beach below Plaskett Creek not far from Gorda. No secret. Jumbo BSP and occasional halibut. Hit the rocks to the left of the cove for Cabezon.
Med/light 7-8' FW spinning rig w/6lb or lighter line. Carolina rig with Gulp Camo Worms or Kalin's motor oil grubs. If there's sand crabs around use those too.
Place is beautiful. you'll have fun there, hopefully the fog and overcast burns off for you.

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Venice huh?
I grew up around there. A Dog-Town Rat. Along with surfing the cove at POP, I fished the rocks at Jack's at the Beach restaurant next to the pier. Used to catch big 'ol BSP's and Corbina.
Then it all burned (watched it from my bedroom window)
Have fun up there, wife and I were up there just before the Covid BS started in March.
Also, just down from BS check out Pico Creek or Moon Stone Beach in Cambria for some good surf fishing. Some good wine tasting around there too :)

Reactions: johnnyboy
Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Check out Lime Kiln too if you get a chance. Pretty decent fishing there if there's no shore pound.
I remember that pier at pop burning several times one summer. The bums would set it on fire, they'd put the fire out and few few weeks later fire it up again. I think it was one of those crazy El Nino years

Reactions: boswell
Upvote 0

boswell

Sep 19, 2003
Marina del Rey
Name
jay
Boat
no got
Venice huh?
I grew up around there. A Dog-Town Rat. Along with surfing the cove at POP, I fished the rocks at Jack's at the Beach restaurant next to the pier. Used to catch big 'ol BSP's and Corbina.
Then it all burned (watched it from my bedroom window)
Have fun up there, wife and I were up there just before the Covid BS started in March.
Also, just down from BS check out Pico Creek or Moon Stone Beach in Cambria for some good surf fishing. Some good wine tasting around there too :)
Grew up in Hollywood. Moved to Ocean Park in 77. Marina peninsula in 80. Never left

Reactions: johnnyboy
Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
Hey Boswell!
Long time no hear. How'd your trip turn out fishwise? You still got that light rod I sent you for surf fishing? I'm having a tough time finding all the folks I used to talk with back in the 200X years, but I'm glad You still are alive and kicking. Surprisingly, I'm still here, tho not (obviously) doing much salt water fishing these days. I still appreciate your thoughtfulness and insight from the AC days. Hope you and yours are safe from the Covid menace. Wifeo and I (being over 70--in the 28% mortality group) are still hunkering down, since Feb. Yep....it's boring and irritating but better than dying. Post to let us know your fishing prowess on your trip.

Upvote 0

boswell

Sep 19, 2003
Marina del Rey
Name
jay
Boat
no got
Robert - fantastic to hear from you. We got there Tuesday and had to evacuate Wednesday. Never got a chance to drop a line. And I’ve cancelled all trips on boats for the same reason as you. Keep in touch, Jay

Upvote 0