Surf fishing for roosters in los barriles?

Jan 12, 2013
Highland
Name
Brandon
Boat
anything that floats!
So I’m headed to los barriles in a few weeks and want some insight on surf fishing for roosters while I’m there. Got a nice hotel right on the beach and will spend most of my day with a pole in the water and an icy beverage in my hand!

Any advice? No money for a panga as I reserved one one the pacific side for the return trip home! Thanks

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Name
John "Rio" Barbosa
Boat
cabo panga
Key ingredients and "jacks-to-open"...
MUST go EARLY...!!!
Fast retrieves are a must....
Always best to chase the bait/ pelicans crashing...
In other words, hanging with the beach chair and the cold ones probably won't work.....ATV mobility helps alot....
Far-casting ability also greatly helps..
Roberts Rangers in chrome/ blue...
Some good luck....I've heard helps...

Reactions: Leslie. Christensen

BajaSlayer

Dec 24, 2017
San Diego California
Name
Kenji
Boat
Nininin
Assassin tackle Sierra 11ft XH, I personally haven't used it for Rooster fish yet, but water skied some good size bonita(7-9lbs) with a Stella 8k, I have friends who've caught some pretty big roosters on La Paz with this partcular rod

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Your there get a ride, you don't need much, get someone with the Pangas like they take people out to boats with 3 hours early, before everyone goes out, otherwise it's run and gun, or luck. Cought them off boat docks before there loading on tube bait, Luck, look around someone's dingy, kyack? It's mobility or luck, might need to be 15 miles south , lighthouse dawn,.