Surf fishing Crystal cove area

Turbo54

Apr 19, 2012
California
Name
Greg
Boat
CHAPPARAL
Going beach camping and wondering if the surf fishing off Crystal cove is any good, don't know anyone who has fished here before so just looking for any information that may help me out.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
I tried to fish there once but there was too much kelp in the water. If you do fish there let us know how you do, I plan on doing some surf fishing after work during the summer.

Mike

Upvote 0

theclayishone

theclayishone
Jan 19, 2005
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Clayton
Boat
none
I've never surf fished there but I imagine it's similar to other beaches out here. Gulp works. If you want to splurge you can buy some lugworms at Hogan's in Dana Point. They get a shipment in every wednesday. I've caught at least 12-15 different species on them. Also I'd recommend checking out SCsurffishing.com. Good info over there.

Upvote 0

MAKOJOEDP

BloodThirstyKiller
Mar 7, 2010
San Juan Capisrano
Name
Joey Engel
Boat
26 foot skipjack flybridge
I do well spearfishing there for sheepshead an halibut an even a got a lingcod there once near the big rocks good luck have fun

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Just remember crystal cove is an mpa area. You cannot use sand crabs. You can catch perch, corbina, croaker, asst sharks and rays, sheephead, brown and grass rockfish, halibut, calicos, and sand bass. Probably white sea bass, I have seen plenty diving there. The amount of kelp in the water will be your biggest problem. Lastly you are not allowed on the beach after dark.

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

Turbo54

Apr 19, 2012
California
Name
Greg
Boat
CHAPPARAL
Thanks for all the info especially about sand crabs and other baits that is my usual bait, I will definetly try to get fish on and I will let you know the bite was.

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

socal_matt

Yakker
Jan 4, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
12' Ocean Kayak aka "The Banana"
Never heard of surf fishing out of crystal cove, but if your looking for a fight, the bolsa chica jetty has a ton of sharks. I went there yesterday checking it out, didnt catch anything with sandcrabs but when I tossed out a dead sardine, I got hit within 15 min. Landed only one, since the others snapped my 20 lb main line.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2016
Pico Rivera
Name
Edgar
Boat
S.S Dumb Dumb
Been there one time. Walked up and down with no success. We used Lucky Craft 110 Flash Minnows. Going to take squid this weekend. Watch out for the sea punks, who think that they own the beach..

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Been there one time. Walked up and down with no success. We used Lucky Craft 110 Flash Minnows. Going to take squid this weekend. Watch out for the sea punks, who think that they own the beach..

I'd rather have sea punks versus being greeted by a few tweekers. Just bring a few traps and place them in the sand, that shit will cease real fast. Enjoy.

Upvote 0

Berty13

Jul 30, 2012
Trabuco Canyon
Name
Bert
Boat
Anything that floats
I surf fish there all the time. Lots of small leopard sharks and surf perch on lugworms. Berkeley gulp 3" sandworm in red is great. South side is best, in front of the lifeguard tower. Carolina rig with 3/4 ounce with a 24 inch leader. Feel free to dip it in taco bell hot sauce too. Works, and the kids get a kick out of it. Picks from 2 weeks ago.
20180901_085738.jpg
20180825_094420.jpg

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

Latest posts