Surf fishing Costa Rica (Quepos)?

Discussion in 'Central America Fishing Reports' started by SD Carp, Jan 6, 2019.

1. SD Carp

SD Carp Newbie

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    half of wallnut
    Hi BD,

I need some guidance As I will be in Quepos, Costa Rica ( area) on vacation [ mid April]. It will NOT be a fishing vacation but a family vacation for many reasons ( just got back from a 15 day long range trip). However, I would still love to fish the surf with my girls ( young girls 6 & 10) . What to target? Where in Quepos ? Bait available ( I.e. sand crabs, squid ???) ? Should I take a small tackle bag with artificial lures ( plastics, bass lures) ? Line size? Weight? Techniques? This will be all catch & release. I might ( low %) convince my girls to do a 1/2 day inshore....but the weather must be perfect & the stars to align.

Note: my plan is to on take a 4 piece travel rod /spinner for fun ( light-med 7-14 lbs) . Should I even bother?

P.S.I did a lot of micro-fishing from shore in the Hawaii last year and had a blast with my girls. I plan on duplicating the adventure in Costa Rica if possible.

2. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carl Z
    Boat:
    I'd be Very Careful on those beaches with kids that age-or any age-the swell is sneaky, nasty & can be huge.

SD Carp likes this.
  3. bays90

bays90 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
    honestly, there is some beach fishing in CR is not Hawaii or Baja when it comes to surf fishing, Tony will have more info on that you are in Central America and there is good fishing around the river, BUT there are very large Crocodiles as well. What I would do is fish a 1/2 day with Roy Zapata, he has broken the WR all tackle snook 2 times last year and the women's as well. There will be quite a few small roosters and some big snook around also some sea bass and snapper. He has a panga and a 1/2 day is around 300$ i have taken my 3 year old twice with us and he had a blast.

IMG_2919.JPG IMG_2942.JPG

pje and SD Carp like this.
  4. SD Carp

SD Carp Newbie

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    half of wallnut
    Thank you much for the insights and knowledge. I appreciate it. If you have a phone number or contact information for Roy Zapata, I would appreciate it.

5. tap

tap "The Roving Angler" BD Writer

Name:
    Tony Pena
    Boat:
    n/a
    For the time you have available I would rent a panga or small cc with a bait tank and hit the roosters, pargo and snook. Make sure there is shade for the girls but if they don't want to go it's been my experience to give them a pool day off with mom. Not everyone is ready for hot weather fishing. It's great to fish poppers, jerk baits and deep jigs but in Costa Rica your best bet is live bait. See if the skipper can arrange for you to purchase bait (sardines, mullet, green jacks) first thing in the morning unless he has a reliable area for bait. Making bait just cuts into valuable fishing time and for just two days on the water you need to maximize your time. Don't come in early because of fuel running dry. Make sure you arrange for extra fuel if necessary (that will let everyone know you're serious as well). Smile a lot and learn some nice things to say if your Spanish needs work.

If you want to fish the shoreline I would try the Marina areas where they clean fish and rock jetties (watch swells). If you can find a local pay them to take you to more remote areas.

There are a few local skippers in Quepos who take risks when targeting giant snook and roosterfish along the shoreline but you need to be cautious here and avoid them. These guys will run into the beach at high speed between big swell sets, drop their baits and scratch over the new waves coming through. A couple of years ago one boat didn't make it back. "Pura Vida".

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    5-20 and SD Carp like this.
  6. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    I tried a bunch of small lures there in the surf and didn't catch anything. Local fella showed me these little clams for bait and caught some fish with those. The clams were few and far between and spent more time finding them than fishing I think. Still fun though and something to do while the wife was hanging by the pool pounding margaritas.

7. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Not fishing related but we stayed in a airbnb on the beach outside Quepos. Every afternoon a fruit truck would come by like the ice cream man here. Best fruit ever. Worth a check if you see one.

5-20, tap, Brad I and 1 other person like this.
  8. pje

pje Member

Name:
    PJ
    Boat:
    34 Scarab Supersport
    You should stop in Quepos Tackle and ask where to surf fish

9. SD Carp

SD Carp Newbie

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    half of wallnut
    Good to know. I'll try to google or ask at the marina.

10. SD Carp

SD Carp Newbie

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    half of wallnut
    On my to do/eat list. Thank you.

11. SD Carp

SD Carp Newbie

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    half of wallnut
    Awesome tips. If you have some recommendation for inshore pangas/small boats, please IM me.

12. pje

pje Member

Name:
    PJ
    Boat:
    34 Scarab Supersport
    You could fish with John's guys , they'll put you on fish http://www.queposfishadventure.com/

Quepos Tackle is in town , won't find much info about shore fishing/pangas in the marina . Pez Vela marina is mostly sporties , with a few bigger CC's . Call John or the guy that Chris mentioned , those are your two best bets .

txwoody and SD Carp like this.
  13. bays90

bays90 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
    Zapatafishing.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SD Carp likes this.
  14. tap

tap "The Roving Angler" BD Writer

Name:
    Tony Pena
    Boat:
    n/a
    If those clams are important for shore fishing but hard to get I would ask around-maybe some restaurants and seafood markets have plenty of fresh ones for purchase. Or buy some from the guy who told you about them. What ever works.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    SD Carp likes this.
  15. txwoody

txwoody desperado

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    wood is good
    Ask for Johnnie. He drives a nice inboard diesel panga and will put you on fish.
    They like to bump troll livies.

SD Carp likes this.
  16. luckyfisher7

luckyfisher7 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    18 whaler "Nishimaru"
    I tried fishing a remote river mouth there with small bucktails and swimbaits. We caught tons of small snook, some good size corvina, and a couple good size pargos. I would be careful taking kids to do that as we saw several large crocodiles just up river, and we had to do some wading to get to the best looking fishing spots.

SD Carp likes this.
  17. SD Carp

SD Carp Newbie

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    half of wallnut
    I just want to circle back and share that I did book an inshore trip with John's crew (QueposFishAdventures) that you guys recommended. I had a blast, a fish for the bucket list and my kids a lasting memory. According to my kids fishing was the highest rating activity, right behind zip lining (I call that a success since we've covered a lot of ground and a bunch of activities). the inshore fishing with live bait was great, the views of Quepos/Manuel Antonio park and inshore waters are amazing. Sharing some pics to go with the commentary, but I know I will be back for a full offshore experience (wife approved now).

18. SD Carp

SD Carp Newbie

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    half of wallnut
  19. SD Carp

SD Carp Newbie

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    half of wallnut