crazypopie1

Almost A Member
Mar 5, 2017
Murrieta
Name
George Acosta
Boat Name
No
Going to Rancho Leonero for the first time Aug 3-7, 2022. Looking to surf fish after panga fishing so looking for some advice. I have ordered a Okuma cedros CSX-S-1002M (14-40#, 1.5-3 oz) and a CSX-S-1062M (20-50#, 2-4 oz) and going to pair 1 of the rods with either a BG5000 (50# braid) or BG6500 (50/65# braid). I have never fished surf so not sure what would be better. I plan on only keeping 1 rod/reel....What do you guys recommend? I will likely only use this set up 1-2 times a year when I travel to Mexico or other destinations. I have purchased a few 3oz Roberts Rangers in hope of landing some rooster. I am open to any recommendations for casting or even a different rod/reel.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Those are excellent for surf fishing the Cabo San Lucas area and anywhere along the Pacific shoreline. But those are way overkill for the East Cape. I've fished from the shoreline of Rancho Leonero on many occasions, and caught a dozen species there, but nothing over three pounds. There are many interesting and fun critters to play C&R with like pufferfish and small snappers and bass and needlefish, and sometimes baby roosters. Starting fifty yards offshore you may encounter small dorado and bonito and even schoolie tuna.

Take one of the larger outfits, it will be fun from your panga. But for walking along the sandy & rocky shoreline, a 3000-size spinner with 20# braid and a 10 foot topshot of 12# mono is all you need.

You will have a blast! May I make a couple of suggestions? You will not return until after the lunch service, and it is a long haul until the evening dinner. It costs nothing extra to order double lunches for yourself and anyone else in your panga, and you can offer food to your guide (who probably won't bring any) and then you can bring something back to your room upon your return to snack on before dinner. Take at least two nice gallon Ziplock plastic bags in your backpack, and put a good amount of the ice cubes from the ice chest on the boat into one and then back into the ice chest. At the end of the trip you can scoop any leftover sardinas baits into it, and it will preserve them nicely until you go on your late-afternoon beach walk. I have found that while small flashy lures like Kastmasters work well, nothing beats a fresh-dead sardina cast with a clear casting bubble.

Also, if you get a dinner-sized dorado during your fishing run, if you fillet it and put the cuts into the other gallon Ziplock and into the ice chest, you can give it to the kitchen upon your return, with a smile and a small tip, and they can cook it for you for dinner that night (in addition to whatever they have already planned on.) There is nothing better! I do a lot of C & R, my days of trying to bring back fish from Mexico are long past, but they can take care of that for you if you wish to hassle with it. On the panga, I smile and offer the fish to the pangero "por su familia?" before releasing it. Even though I will tip well, and they know it, it is only polite to ask. Nobody is getting rich down there, they mostly just barely get by. Leaving a few dollars for your maid each day also is appropriate.

Have a great time, take lots of pictures, and post a report on your adventures, please. I'm looking forward to it!

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat Name
    Royal Star
    Going to Rancho Leonero for the first time Aug 3-7, 2022. Looking to surf fish after panga fishing so looking for some advice. I have ordered a Okuma cedros CSX-S-1002M (14-40#, 1.5-3 oz) and a CSX-S-1062M (20-50#, 2-4 oz) and going to pair 1 of the rods with either a BG5000 (50# braid) or BG6500 (50/65# braid). I have never fished surf so not sure what would be better. I plan on only keeping 1 rod/reel....What do you guys recommend? I will likely only use this set up 1-2 times a year when I travel to Mexico or other destinations. I have purchased a few 3oz Roberts Rangers in hope of landing some rooster. I am open to any recommendations for casting or even a different rod/reel.

Thanks for your help!
    About 10 years ago I caught a 65# rooster from the shore on a Robert's ranger right in front of the ranch during dinner. Probably ran a half mile up and down the beach during the fight.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    About 10 years ago I caught a 65# rooster from the shore on a Robert's ranger right in front of the ranch during dinner. Probably ran a half mile up and down the beach during the fight.
    You probably got the one in my avatar, which I caught and released about a half-mile south of the Ranch from a panga about forty yards off the beach where we were playing with a school of 5# to 10# roosterfish when Momma showed up unexpectedly. Glad to see that she made it!

Upvote 0