12yak

Death From Above
Oct 28, 2008
San Diego
Name
Jerry
Boat
Done buying new gear. Boat's next.
My son/fishing buddy had his detached garage in Scripps Ranch broken into yesterday. (Happy Thanksgiving, right?!) The bas***ds stole 9 nice rods and a few reels that he had in a rack on his wall. Most of his reels stayed safe. All of them were in almost new condition because he took really good care of everything. They took his deck boots, blue OpenWater fishing bag with his fishing license, and all of his fishing accessories as well. He's been wiped out of much of his fishing gear worth many thousands of dollars.

Please keep your eyes open, especially at any flea markets that you go to in the upcoming weeks. Many of his rods have his name, Ryan Fry, in a gold script decal that I varnished on just above the rod butt. Most of his reels also have the same decal varnished onto the bottom of the reel seat. If you run across these items (probably with indications that the decals were sanded off), please, please try to get the sellers contact info, contact the police, and send me an update on BD or via [email protected].

From memory, this is what he had:
1) SuperSeeker SS-670-7 25-40# Saltiga 30T (Silver)
2) BlackSteel G 6470-7 30(40)50# Avet JX 6/3 SN: JX6/3-18726 (Red)
3) SuperSeeker SS 6470-7 35-50#
4) BlackSteel G 6470H-7 40(50)60#
5) SuperSeeker SS 6470H-7 40-60#
6) SuperSeeker SS 1x3 60(80)100#
7) SuperSeeker SS 6463XXH Trolling Rod 60-100#
8) Shimano Salt Water Fishing Reel and Rod (Spheros SW, I think)

My 10 year old grandson lost out too. I didn't have serial numbers but they got:
9) SuperSeeker SS 870-7' 15-25# (maybe a 270-7' 12-20") with an Avet MX SN: tbd (Red)
, and,
10) A brand new Specialized Rock Hopper Bike (Black) that I just bought him for his birthday.

Other misc stuff that may show up at a flea market stand... a bunch of Milwaukee M18 Power Tools (2 saws, Hammer Drill, Saws-all, Circular saw, Finishing tool), bag of Milwaukee hand tools, Camo back pack, Replica Samurai swords, and a fair amount of other non-fishing stuff.

Thanks for any help you provide even if nothing comes of it!
12yak

Last edited:

bun87

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 24, 2011
San Diego CA USA
Name
Bun87
Boat
Sea yah!
Sorry to hear that, will be keeping an eye out for you. Hopefully the a**hole gets what he deserves.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
Thanks for any help you provide even if nothing comes of it!
If possible notify all the tackle stores on the coast with a detailed list. A lot of small shops will take stuff in trade or on consignment and resell.

I recently found a rod stolen in July in SD on consignment in a small tackle store in Ventura. I know the owners of the store so I know they weren't involved. I was able to get the custom rod and return it to the owner.

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
This is a long shot, but does anyone know where we could find a list of all the independent tackle stores (email addresses) from Santa Barbara to San Diego?

Maybe there is an association or perhaps a supplier that has a list.

If that were available we could post it as a sticky and whenever tackle was stolen we almost instantly alert every tackle store to be on the lookout.

I thought about starting to make a list, but I start medical treatments next week and will be feeling really crappy.

OP, sorry if I am kind of bringing in extraneous stuff into you post/thread.

Reactions: changomc3