I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 9, 2018
Anaheim
Name
Justin
Boat
awifeinstead
Whatsup guys,

Just bought a super seeker baby ulua and I'm looking for a clamp to fit my penn fathom 25n since the stock one doesn't work.

Any suggestions on the best reel clamp for this application?

Thanks in advance!

Also, I see the cork puppy, but how does this work? Do I need to buy an aftermarket clamp to use the cork puppy? I wish I could walk into a shop and ask these questions, but for obvious reasons, that's not possible.

Hkrob

Jun 22, 2017
Baldwin park ca
Name
Rob
Boat
Sold it
Duran super clamp Best clamp I have used.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The days of hose clamps is gone. Unless in a pinch

Scorred a clamp for a TE300 back in the day from (hawk) was a special moment LOL for a Washington made CL825FA cork tape. Ended up x tubing with a reel seat. Still got the 825FA. Bad ass

Have a few other Calcutta rods also from the other factory. Much lower quality

Last edited:

bentcalstar

Sep 11, 2012
Socal
Name
Charley Tabbara
Boat
Boat
Cork puppy. Old and simple and will do the job.

seabass630

Feb 14, 2009
so cal
Name
carlos
Boat
No boat
I use tiburon clamp, and I use Duran clamp on my baby ulua

Ballew.J

Oct 9, 2018
Anaheim
Name
Justin
Boat
awifeinstead
On a different subject, what is this rod good for (other than light surface irons)? I cast it recently with a newell and it cast up to tady 45 size jigs well, but what else could i throw with this? I'm thinking of putting a lexa on it because I don't see a point in putting my fathom ii on there if it's a 30# stick.

Thoughts?

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Leave the Newell on it. You could use it with lead heads and squid, big swim baits that sort of thing. Good rod for seabass,halibut and fish that like to stop and shake their heads. Not so good for big yellows and the like unless you enjoy getting cornholed

Ballew.J

Oct 9, 2018
Anaheim
Name
Justin
Boat
awifeinstead
Leave the Newell on it. You could use it with lead heads and squid, big swim baits that sort of thing. Good rod for seabass,halibut and fish that like to stop and shake their heads. Not so good for big yellows and the like unless you enjoy getting cornholed
Really? I bought it specifically for yellows and smaller tuna. Oh well, I'll find a use for it.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
School tuna, kelp paddy yellows you're good. Big yellows by structure, bigger tuna not so much. Regular ulua or 93H is better for those but those are long rods, there will still be some cornholing involved. Those baby uluas are nice, I like em but it's pretty soft top end. Fish it with the Newell and 25-30lb, that's the sweet spot.

Reactions: sea4reel

Trebble hooker

working da pole
Jan 26, 2017
San Diego
Name
Robert
Boat
Trebble hooker
Cork puppies on every deckhand rod I've got, each one took a couple trips to the hardware store to fit properly, and some cutting with the dremel, beats having a crushed or cracked blank.

May 19, 2006
HB
Name
Ed
Boat
Cobra Tandem
It works just like the reel clamp that came originally with the reel. The cork puppy spreads the force of the clamp being used to attach the reel to the rod over a larger area, reducing incidence of blank being crushed.

You will most likely have to get longer machine screws for the Baby Ulua. I have the same rod and the screws that came with my Newell 332 did not reach the screw holes. I’m pretty sure I had to get the largest size, I think 31 mm, to accomodate the large diameter butt of the Ulua.