crazypopie1

Almost A Member
Mar 5, 2017
Murrieta
Name
George Acosta
Boat
No
I am getting a custom wrapped 10' Ulua. I can cast a conventional reel fine but i think it is a hassle dealing with ensuring the line is spread evenly across the reel upon retrieve. I am thinking of making it a spinner but would consider a bait caster. Obviously, this would be for jigging only (i.e. BF/YT tuna, YT, dorado, etc). Anybody have any experience with a high end spinner or bait casters on an Ulua?

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
There's nothing wrong with using a spinning setup for surface iron. But you wouldn't need a 10'fter if that's the case. Just get an 8'fter and a 8K/10K size reel and you're good to go.

If you're set on an Ulua to use for surface iron then do what it was intended to do...put a conventional reel on it and practice.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Fair enough. Then the Ulua isn't the right rod for what you want to do. There are plenty of 10'ft spinning rods specifically made to launch long distances with spinning gears.

At least make that blank a conventional rod and slap a Tranx 500 on it. Best of both worlds. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Choonaguy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 17, 2010
Long Beach
Name
Joe Kane
Boat
none
Some of you guys are talking pretty big, id be thoroughly impressed watching someone playing tug of war with a 30 plus pound yellow with that heavy of a rod and the inability to use the rail. I know for a fact some of you guys that have talked would get thrown around like a rag doll if that set up was put in your hands in that situation

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
Upvote 0

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
Westlake Village
Name
Dave
Boat
Whaler
First things first, I’ve fished a tranx, and I’ve fished the ulua but never as a combo. Both are great but it seems like a weird match that wouldn’t balance right. If you’re set on the ulua, get a Trinidad or Saltiga. If you want to go the baitcaster route, I’d look into thinner diameter blanks that will match up size-wise better with a Tranx. U.C. and Phenix have a few that come to mind.

Upvote 0

Edward Duran

Almost A Member
Mar 10, 2018
Irvine
Name
Edward Duran
Boat
Hobie Kayak
I use a tranx 500 on my skinny butt ulua. Can get some really good casts but have noticed i can cast the same iron just as far with my fathom on a 9ft rod. Think casting really depends on your ability to actually throw the iron. but i will say the tranx makes it alot easier to wind in as youre not worried about the line

Upvote 0