Super Sayajin Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by steelfish, Mar 22, 2019.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    according to my wife this is one of the most beatiful rods I have made so far, it was made for a kid of a close friend, his son is mega fan of the Dragon Ball cartoon and well I must confes that I also saw that cartoon some years ago (I must've been in my 20's [​IMG], so, I was also exited to have this rod request as personal project, of course my friend just told me, just do whatever you want on the rod, the only requirement is that it must be relative to the Dragon Ball cartoon series and have a the main character Goku when it was a kid, my friend didnt know nothing about the cartoon series [​IMG].
    the rod came much better than the original idea I had in my mind, so good that eventho its not my motto but "maybe" I will do an identical rod for myself [​IMG].

I dont need to say that the kid (which is 13yo) was totally stocked / exited when he got the rod.

some of you might recognize some of the logos, characters and images relatives to the cartoon serie.

sorry for the tons of pics but each guide have a special touch/detail to be shown.

20190309_153205 ss.jpg 20190309_153237 ss.jpg 20190309_153249 ss.jpg 20190309_153303 ss.jpg 20190309_153320 ss.jpg 20190309_153331 ss.jpg 20190309_153343 ss.jpg 20190309_153347 ss.jpg 20190309_153736 ss.jpg 20190309_153801 ss.jpg

Hiimhaiii, ColdEye, usraptr and 7 others like this.
  2. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Grant Darby
    Boat:
    Which one?
    Really nice Alex....it's been a treat watching your work progress.

steelfish likes this.
  3. red_eyez

red_eyez Broke but love to fish..

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    The one I paid at Landing
    Very nice! May I ask where did you get all of those cool stickers? Thx.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  4. cmepen

cmepen I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Einar Lohner
    Boat:
    Cabo Marine 226
    The only thing better will be when he catches the first fish with it! It's beautiful! Your attention to detail really stands out! Nicely done!

5. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Thanks, really appreciate your words amigo

Sometimes I get them on eBay but this time I printed them myself

I told my friend to send me a Picture of his son with his first fish on this rod.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    cmepen likes this.
  6. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Theme rods are always fun to build. As Grant said, you're coming along nicely Alex. Keep 'em coming.

7. jg125

jg125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    2004 Proline 33 WA
    very nice looking build

8. Nhan Thanh Bui

Nhan Thanh Bui Member

Name:
    Nhan
    Boat:
    Sienna
    Nice rod. I’m a Dragon Ball fan too.

9. tugasangler

tugasangler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Yankee Capts
    One of the best themed rods I’ve seen... would love to do something similar with SiC guides

10. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    yay!
    didnt expected to get this kind of comments, glad you guys liked the rod, I have made few other rods already but mostly simple wraps and boring thread colors nothing special (what the customers wanted), but this one needed to be show out at least for the DBZ fans.

I know those guides are not favorite along the BD rod builders but since I made the 1st rod with those guides for a fellow with a charter panga service he liked them that much that he sent me a bunch of his rods to switch the guides for those ones, and other local captains also wanted them cuz they are better for hard use of the customers than the regular boat chrome guides than came stock on many factory rods.

btw, I forgot to upload this pic, is one of my favorites on the rod.

20190309_153256 ss.jpg 20190309_153607 ss.jpg

usraptr likes this.
  11. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    Those tangle proof guides are very popular in Florida and the gulf coast. Let us know how they hold up to the elements (corrode).

12. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Bill,
    you're right amigo, actually the guy that introduced me those guides 3 years ago, is a Florida fisherman that like to build rods has hobby and ended up building tons of rods for few charters there.
    I restored a rod for a friend using those guides in oct 2016, he use the rod at least 2-3 times per week all year around, its an old panga fisherman so he dont treat his rods and reels as shelf queens but as merely tools, I checked the rod one year later after building it and the guides were in really good shape, no signs of corrosion anywhere, another friend with a bigger charter service have me rewrap most of his rods with those same guides since Sep 2017 and I regulary fish with him, I checked the rods few months ago and same deal, guides in perfect shape, I dont know if two years is too soon to evaluate them but at least my friends are happy with them, actually they were more interested in them cuz their shock proof quality over any other guide.

this is the rod I build in oct 2016 and pictures are almost a year later, you can check how the rod is all beat-up already and the guides look brand new, in a chance I will ask him to show me this same rod in the next days.

20170718_193558  TW ss.jpg 20170718_193619 TW ss.jpg 20170718_193626  TW ss.jpg

usraptr likes this.
  13. tugasangler

tugasangler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Yankee Capts
    Yeap I’m from Florida and they’re called foul proof guides back home.. very strong just heavy and not as sensitive as sic guides when bottom fishing in the state . When I was a pier rat this was the deal though .

14. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    Thanks for the corrosion up-date Alex. Good info.

15. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well I have another update for the Pacbay TW shockproof guides

I rebuilt this next rod exactly 2 years ago, on 29 october 2017, they were made for a friend as loaner rods for a panga charter service here in san felipe and Gonzaga bay area and you know how guys that dont own their own fishing gear threat the loaner equipment, like trash or worst, that was actually the reason of using those PacBay TW guides and cheap Glass rods, the guides are holding it pretty well as you can see, no corrion or bent after two years of continue use, but the epoxy on the 1st and 2nd guides is cracked along the length of the footh guide.
    I did used Diamond II and Im still using it.

how do you guys see that?, normal for a rod that is was used hundreds of times already in the last two years of bad treatment from customers and thousand of hours of sun exposure or those cracks means a poor wrap/epoxy job?

you opinion to avoid this happening again, do I have to better tripple wrap those 1 first two guides since they get all the pressure while fighting a fish and also use 3 coats of diamond II epoxy instead of 2 coats as I normally do?

the rest of the running guides are in perfect condition, non the running guides or the wrap job show any problema at all.
    check the pics and give you your opinion please.

those were some of the first restorations that I made for a loca captain that is my friend and wanted me to change the guides on his loaners rods for those TW guides.
    my friend didnt came to me to check the guides out but to install a new tiptop, but I will repair those guides for free.

PS: the rod have a lot of boat rash of the clients put the rod on the side of the panga while fishing and my friend tells me that customers throw away the rod to the floor when they get the fish into the boat for the picture.

20191024_205747 ss.jpg 20191024_205757 ss.jpg 20191024_205759 ss.jpg 20191024_205804 ss.jpg 20191024_205812 ss.jpg 20191024_205820 ss.jpg 20191024_205828 ss.jpg

16. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    They don't look too bad for two years of charter use in a panga. Ware looks normal for that use.

Are the guides double wrapped or single? If single wrapped you might want to double up. In fact, I'd just do another layer of thread over them to repair them.

17. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey Memo, thanks for the input, I though that wasnt that bad for a loaner rod but wanted to ask to see if the wrap job can be improved a bit, the guides were sigle wrapped, so as you say Im better start to double wrap guides for rods that are going to be used for charters.
    I wrapped a rod for his personal use by the same time with those guides and of course there are no problem at all on his rod.