Super dumb ridiculous question, why bring light gear on a sportboat instead of just using lighter top shots on heavy gear?

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    So, I may be flamed, mocked, ridiculed, or ignored for asking this question…..but….I am wondering why Not just bring a couple heavy set ups on my next sportboat trip, and tie on a lighter top shot as needed?

For example, I have a really nice Penn Visx 12 spooled with 80lb and a good rod to go with it.

The Visx 12 freespools perfectly, and is a nice two speed reel with an adjustable drag.

So, if I bring it on a sportboat trip, why not use it as an 80lb tuna jigging set up at night, and then in the daytime if the boat does the paddy hopping thing, why not just tie on a lengthy 30lb top shot and use it for flylining bait?

Why spend the extra money getting a loaner or lugging around yet another rod/reel?

Why not just utilize a lighter pound test top shot as needed? A spool of hundreds of yards of 30lb mono is cheap, even if I tied on like a 50 foot top shot each morning and cut it off at sunset each day it still would be cheaper than paying the $10 or more charged by a boat for a loaner set sup.

Of course if I lived near the dock and was driving my own vehicle I’d probably just bring everything plus the kitchen sink, but for someone flying in on Southwest who can manage to get only two rods in a free checkin tube, why not just take a couple good heavy rods and reels plus a spool or two of some lighter mono or flouro?

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat Name
    23 ft. crestliner
    It isn't much fun or sport fighting a 15lb yellowtail on a 60lb or 80lb rod and a big heavy reel. Much more fun with a light rod and small reel. Also sometimes the fish are line shy and won't bite straight mono or heavy spectra with a fluro leader. Your bait swims better and you get more bites with lighter spectra and a short fluro leader vs heavy spectra and a fluro leader or long mono top shot. Also the bait swims better when it is pulling against a small light spool vs a big heavy spool. A lot of times the most important thing is bait presentation and how your bait swims.
    Two outfits is not much for a local trip. I usually bring 4 to 5 outfits to cover everything from 20lb to 80lb or 25lb to 100lb.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
    W. LA
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat Name
    Boat
    Technically you can do that but there are trade offs you should be aware of. Rods that can adequately fish 80# line will have a hard time feeling your bait on 30# line. Additionally, if you were to hook a fish, that same rod would not offer the correct amount of cushioning for that line class and would lead to more pulled hooks and break offs. You also don’t want to switch leaders so often as you may pull up to a school of smaller fish, then bigger fish, then more small fish, and so on.

Obviously if you have no choice then go ahead and do it, but you should be aware of these tradeoffs. Choose wisely and have fun.

Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    1. Could do the Tour de France on a mountain bike...
    2. Haul a load of 2x4's strapped to the top of a Corvette...
    3. Run the Rally Monte Carlo in a F-350 4x4...
    ...but the journey and the end result may be FUGLY.
    Haha, years ago I did use a mountain bike for a triathlon event where the bike portion was paved…and I came in last in my division.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Vagabond
    I agree with Calico K . I’ve tried putting a 30# reel on a rod that was rated 40-80 to save on bringing another complete setup. I soon found out that the rod’s bend wasn’t sufficient enough to absorb the energy exerted by the school size tuna we were catching. After breaking off 2 fish I racked that setup and learned my lesson. It can be done, but you’d need to set your drag looser than normal for when the fish runs and put your thumb on your line & foregrip to lift and grind to be able to gain line when the time comes.

Reactions: Hammertime86
    Upvote 0

simmo13

Nov 12, 2010
    Lb inshore
    Name
    Simmo
    Boat Name
    19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
    Two heavy setups then a Trinidad 16/20 with 50 braid to a top shot of 25/30 pound mono on a 8 foot jig stick 20-50 range to fish 20/25/30 pound leaders. Done. :)

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    The Visx 12 freespools perfectly, and is a nice two speed reel with an adjustable drag.

So, if I bring it on a sportboat trip, why not use it as an 80lb tuna jigging set up at night, and then in the daytime if the boat does the paddy hopping thing, why not just tie on a lengthy 30lb top shot and use it for flylining bait?

couple good heavy rods and reels plus a spool or two of some lighter mono or flouro?
    Assuming you are on an overnight or 1.5 day trip. It's doable especially now when the BFT count is so low. What is your second rod?

This is the total for the whole fleet.

Friday July 29th 2022 Totals
    78 Trips had 1800 anglers.
    56 yellowfin tuna, 18 lingcod, 16 bluefin tuna,

Thursday July 28th 2022 Totals
    65 Trips had 1473 anglers.
    127 bluefin tuna, 86 dorado

Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat Name
    Seahawk II
    ...but for someone flying in on Southwest who can manage to get only two rods in a free checkin tube, why not just take a couple good heavy rods and reels plus a spool or two of some lighter mono or flouro?
    If flying is the critical factor, each of the Okuma Travel Rods would basically "double" your rod count since two different tip sections are included with each:
    1. VSB-C-663M-MH 30-60
    2. VSB-C-703ML-M 15-40
    3. VSB-C-703M-MH 30-60
    A VSB-C-703ML-M and one of the 30-60 models would cover you for 20, 30, 40,50, and 15 & 60 in a pinch since these last two are on the boundaries of the rated ranges. The Okuma rods can be in a carry-on duffel with clothes. Add one 6' rod for 60 and one 5'6' rod for 80 (and maybe 100 if rated 40-120) in the rod tube for four physical rods total. Each reel is braid-spooled to support going one class down or up for the reel's designated class.

Your luggage:
    1. Duffel (carry-on, overhead: clothes, travel rods)
    2. Reel case (carry-on, under-seat: five reels for designated 30, 40, 50, 60, 80)
    3. Rod tube (check-in)
    4. Suitcase (check: more clothes, tackle bag)
    IMHO...totally doable and better than fishing an 80 with a 30 top shot. So you can either brute force it (like with your triathlon) or have better planning with flexibility...

...YMMV.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The essential answer to the original question of why not two Heavy outfits and changing leaders is that you would have less fun catching the fish. We aren't sportfishing to put meat in the freezer, it's about the whole experience of finding certain fish and trying to entice them to bite whatever we're offering, and fighting them in a way that gives them a fair chance to win that fight and their freedom. A deer or elk that falls to a .338 bullet that is fired from six hundred yards away may be a legal kill, but most hunters would be unsatisfied with the experience.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat Name
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Calico K. and Amadeus above nailed it. An 80# rod won't have any cushion or bend when fishing 10# or less of drag pressure. Result will be pulled hook, snapped leader, wasted time and lost fish. Others above also nailed it; simply a lot more fun to catch schoolies and paddy-sized YT on lighter gear.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Calico K. and Amadeus above nailed it. An 80# rod won't have any cushion or bend when fishing 10# or less of drag pressure. Result will be pulled hook, snapped leader, wasted time and lost fish. Others above also nailed it; simply a lot more fun to catch schoolies and paddy-sized YT on lighter gear.
    That’s why it’s call sportfishing,
    And not meat fishing.

Upvote 0

beavis3

Aug 30, 2021
    san diego
    Name
    CS
    Boat Name
    what?
    Its a good question, i am still trying to figure out the right balance for the trips we take. Basically what everyone said. Also, at least this year on the trips we have been on its not just day=40lb and night=80+lb. The BFT day bite varied alot over the course of a day in terms of fish size and willingness to bite, so having a selection is useful as to not being behind the 8ball trying to re-tie/wind top-shot when a particular school swims thru. Plus for old guys like me, needlessly fishing a true 80lb setup all day really eats into the motivation to fish at night.

Upvote 0

Hammertime86

Almost A Member
    Jun 8, 2015
    Whittier
    Name
    Wolf
    Boat Name
    No boat
    I agree with Calico K . I’ve tried putting a 30# reel on a rod that was rated 40-80 to save on bringing another complete setup. I soon found out that the rod’s bend wasn’t sufficient enough to absorb the energy exerted by the school size tuna we were catching. After breaking off 2 fish I racked that setup and learned my lesson. It can be done, but you’d need to set your drag looser than normal for when the fish runs and put your thumb on your line & foregrip to lift and grind to be able to gain line when the time comes.
    I did that exact same thing fly lining for schoolie YFT.
    After getting broke off I did indeed have to adjust my drag to the point where a 25# Yft was dragging me all over the boat and taking way longer to bring it to gaff than it should’ve.
    Lesson also learned.

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat Name
    Limited load cattle car
    Definitely bring a small variety of rods to cover basic line classes if you can. 🐟 I've flown SWA exclusively with my gear, after relocating from San Diego in 2008. Wai's suggestions above (Amadeus), is one good way to go. Try this next time though: I easily fit 5-6 setups reversed end-to-end, in a 4" PVC tube. (sometimes I pack the heavy railrod as rod #6) SWA states 3" and 91" length tube max. (I've done longer when needed without incurring any oversized charge). Their policy allows your tube AND tackle or reel bag to count towards ONE of the free checked luggages. (My goal many seasons ago was to fish with only 4-5 setups and cover 99% of my angling needs, from half day to multi-day boat trips. I've accomplished that now and it's really convenient if you travel to fish.) My other checked free luggage is my 40L rolling insulated cooler to bring back vacuum packed, processed fish. A small carry on bag for clothes plus my backpack holds all the rest. I fly back home to fish SD 3-4 times a year and this works out great. Tight lines when you go! PM me and I'll tell you how to narrow it down to 3-4 setups max...😁 Now if it were only THAT easy for the Padres to beat the Dodgers and not have to struggle for a wild card spot, I'd be an even happier fisherman...LFGSD! ⚾🎣🍻

Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    Definitely bring a small variety of rods to cover basic line classes if you can. 🐟 I've flown SWA exclusively with my gear, after relocating from San Diego in 2008. Wai's suggestions above (Amadeus), is one good way to go. Try this next time though: I easily fit 5-6 setups reversed end-to-end, in a 4" PVC tube. (sometimes I pack the heavy railrod as rod #6) SWA states 3" and 91" length tube max. (I've done longer when needed without incurring any oversized charge). Their policy allows your tube AND tackle or reel bag to count towards ONE of the free checked luggages. (My goal many seasons ago was to fish with only 4-5 setups and cover 99% of my angling needs, from half day to multi-day boat trips. I've accomplished that now and it's really convenient if you travel to fish.) My other checked free luggage is my 40L rolling insulated cooler to bring back vacuum packed, processed fish. A small carry on bag for clothes plus my backpack holds all the rest. I fly back home to fish SD 3-4 times a year and this works out great. Tight lines when you go! PM me and I'll tell you how to narrow it down to 3-4 setups max...😁 Now if it were only THAT easy for the Padres to beat the Dodgers and not have to struggle for a wild card spot, I'd be an even happier fisherman...LFGSD! ⚾🎣🍻
    I fly southwest too, and have brought a big cooler with wheels as one of my checkins. Brought a whole 25lb bluefin back with me once, just had to cut the tail off so it would fit, lol., pic attached.

I can only get two rods in my 3” diameter Plano tube when one of them is the heavy one, but if you make it ok with a 4” PVC tube, I’ll look for something like that next time I’m in Home Depot, the Plano tube seemed really great when I got it, but it’s already fairly damaged from just a few flights.

6CB55F6F-895E-4522-9E50-5C3B70FF9CC5.jpeg

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat Name
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Some people like noodle rods. :smoking33:

Reactions: 7emptsT
    Upvote 0