FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat Name
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
So I know that there has been plenty of talk about full moons and their positive or negative impact on fishing but, I have to point out that we are going to see another total eclipse of a super full moon on January 20-21, 2019.

Last year I witnessed a similar event from the back deck out at HB. It was surreal and very cool to watch. Downside was that it was some of the toughest fishing I have ever experienced. Hope it is not the case again this year for the trips out during this one.

Good luck and take a camera!

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat Name
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Good thing we won’t be fishing till about 10 days after that.. right?
By the time we get there they’ll be hungry again LoL
We’re gonna make ‘em bite! ;)

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat Name
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I hope it doesn’t shut down what appears to be good fishing down there now.
    We will witness it, clouds permitting, on our first night out. Pete, we will be down there so long it can get bad, then good, then bad again. Or it can stay good for a full ten days on the bank - - Yikes, this is gonna be great!

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
    Nov 15, 2014
    Florida
    Name
    Hank
    Boat Name
    Looking
    All the private boaters with cheap slips at Campland, mission bay are going to get stuck when they try to make it to or from their slips during low tide... last super moon I towed in 2 boats with busted props.

PSA mind the shallows at low tide lol

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat Name
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    All the private boaters with cheap slips at Campland, mission bay are going to get stuck when they try to make it to or from their slips during low tide... last super moon I towed in 2 boats with busted props.

PSA mind the shallows at low tide lol

I just have to laugh out loud when I hear of the issues folks in SC have with the tide. My first LR trip was an 8 day on the RR III and when we docked at the end of the trip it was low tide. Maybe 3 feet below the landing so the ramp was at a slight uphill angle. My fellow passengers were groaning about having to push their gear up the ramp.

I tried to see what all the fuss was about and then when I realized why they were complaining I started laughing. I got a few strange looks.

On this January 20-21 tide cycle Point Loma will experience a high tide of 6.82 feet and a low of -1.82. At the same time Homer AK will be seeing a high of 22.4 feet and low of -5.11. Pro tip: When the ramp is 70' long and at a 45% angle and covered with snow/ice it is easiest to put all your stuff in a sled and pull it up the ramp with a rope tied to a truck. Just goes to show you that we all adapt to what we have to deal with or not deal with on a regular basis.

Safe boating to all who will be out on the full moon!:)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    I just have to laugh out loud when I hear of the issues folks in SC have with the tide. My first LR trip was an 8 day on the RR III and when we docked at the end of the trip it was low tide. Maybe 3 feet below the landing so the ramp was at a slight uphill angle. My fellow passengers were groaning about having to push their gear up the ramp.

I tried to see what all the fuss was about and then when I realized why they were complaining I started laughing. I got a few strange looks.

On this January 20-21 tide cycle Point Loma will experience a high tide of 6.82 feet and a low of -1.82. At the same time Homer AK will be seeing a high of 22.4 feet and low of -5.11. Pro tip: When the ramp is 70' long and at a 45% angle and covered with snow/ice it is easiest to put all your stuff in a sled and pull it up the ramp with a rope tied to a truck. Just goes to show you that we all adapt to what we have to deal with or not deal with on a regular basis.

Safe boating to all who will be out on the full moon!:)

This sorta reminds me of when we were all in line to board the boat at Point Loma and it was a cold 58 degrees, and here comes FishRock with his gear in his T shirt. Kinda warm for him since he came from Alaska and it was zero degrees there. Everything is relative, isn't it?

Upvote 0