Super 12

Discussion in 'Accurate Fishing Reels Support Forum' started by Earle, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Earle

Earle Newbie

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    16' Pro-line C/C
    Looking to buy my first Accurate and am intrigued with the atd super12. Would this be a good starter choice. I'll be using it later this year in PV and Cabo. I have to buy sight unseen. as salt water gear is unavailable in my part of the country, so any input is welcome. I'm happy with my current reels, Avets, but want to try something different. Thanks

2. Sactotuna

Sactotuna Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    Depends on what you're going to be using it for . . . big tuna, school tuna, ??

Think of it as the equivalent of a 28g shotgun. In the hands of a good wingshot, on upland birds behind pointing dogs, truly a thing of beauty. For average joe, or in a duck blind, a serious handicap.

Upgrades or not, you could have serious issues with line capacity. Depends . . .

Oh yeah, I forgot, once you go Acc you never go back!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. Earle

Earle Newbie

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    16' Pro-line C/C
    As far as capacity goes, Accurate lists the 12 as holding 900yds of 65# spectra. Can anyone confirm this? If so, that means it would hold 500yds and a topshot of +/- 130yds of 50# mono, which would suit me fine for what I'm planning. Just want to be sure before I drop a grand on an unseen reel. Thanks

4. garydschall

garydschall Newbie

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    none
    Fished PV in February this year, needed every bit of an ATD 30, and the 50 would have been more appropriate.. That said, the ATD 12 worked on a 193#BFT last year....

5. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    On the Red Rooster last month, a guy was very nearly spooled on a 190# tuna. They had the back up rod clipped on until one of the deckhands manhandled the reel and got back a few yards of line. If there is any chance of a cow, I need at least a 30. At least.

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I have caught 3 cows with my ATD 12...209# 221# and 254#......I use it as my stealth 100# reel, just have to fish it hard as capacity can be a issue.

7. JSR

JSR Member

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    n/a
    a 251 but, of course it went over
    but, did i get it because it was the 12?
    then worth giving it the toss