Dexter Outdoors

The Dr.

Almost A Member
May 5, 2015
Name
Kenji
Boat
Ranger 521VX
I fished aboard one of the local PV boats last February and the Star was in town fishing the same zones. The first day and a half of fishing sucked for us. Not many fish seen and fewer bites.

Before the Star left PV for home, they called us in and gave us all their sardines. The handed over 20-30 scoops of nice quality dines. The next day it was on! We fished a more traditional SD style approach. Spot the fish, slide and throw bait and hook a couple. We ended the third day of fishing with 10 YFT 50-150lbs. I landed my PB YFT on 80lb line and a 2/0 Charlie Brown hook, the fish taped around 150lbs.

Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Yes I was on the one and only trip that the Intrepid made to PV maybe 7 or 8 years ago.......but we were actually 100 miles north of PV........and we saw no other boats from PV while fishing.......it was absolutely off the hook cow fishing......

The locals get upset when the LR boats fish El Banco... Roca Corbatania and spots closer to PV.

You’ve never been on a LR boat that fished inside a buffer zone?🙄🙄

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
02E54AD8-2D0B-4808-9958-F0CA011C9BFE.jpeg

There is a fishery seamount just 25 miles outside Puerto Vallarta that the locals drift. To anchor up on that spot is like declaring war to the locals. The prison Island, Tres Maria has some really good tuna spots I here. Oh well... not legal.
You mean this one, Corbetenia Rock. I had excellent fishing there a couple of years ago for Tuna, Dorado and Sailfish. I couldn’t imagine a Sportboat there. I know some have anchored on El Banco.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    PV is my second favorite fishing spot after The Ridge...

You cannot make this shit up, dragging a single Sabiki behind the boat to catch Skipjack for bait, get one on. As I am grinding it in I start getting smoked out of the blue....

The Sabiki hook came out of the Skipjack went right to the outside corner of this things mouth. Took me about 45 mins to get to the boat on 20#. Mansur and I just looked at each dumb founded.

If you zoom in you can see the Sabiki right in the corner of the mouth.

Oh and the rocks are right behind the camera.

1583562704036.png

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    Fished on the Star March 1-9, 2020 out of Mazatlan. Tough fishing, I got a 45-50 pound YFT on March 4, and finally got a 214 o March 7. We fished about 10-12 hours out of Mazatlan. No morning bite to speak of, on 2 or 3 days we had an afternoon bite from 3 till about 5:30. All our fish came on sardines, Cabbies never got touched.

Upvote 0