Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
A case of no good deed goes unpunished. In order to go on my once per year fishing trip, I have to endure a trip with my whole family (I get to pay) to Disney World every 2-3 years. Well as I baked in the Florida summer heat, I dropped my Costa 580P glasses. Of course, one of the lenses got a scratch right in the middle.

I've read that replacement lenses cost about $120 and takes a month +. So, I'm pondering do I repair or replace? Also, glass or polycarbonate?

If I replace, what brand do you like?

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
replace, and save them for casting bombs and jigs at wahoo...all that mist coming off your spool clouds the glass anyway ;)

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Check out Sierra Outpost, might save some coin?
If you find yourself in the market to buy new sunglasses, look into smith optics, they make some outstanding sunglasses. I have a couple pairs of them, as I do costas. I use them all depending on condition's. But I really like the smith optics, there about the same price range as costas.

Reactions: tunachuck
Upvote 0

dtf

Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
If you find yourself in the market to buy new sunglasses, look into smith optics, they make some outstanding sunglasses. I have a couple pairs of them, as I do costas. I use them all depending on condition's. But I really like the smith optics, there about the same price range as costas.

I AGREE, have costas (2) but always end of with my SMITH'S.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I AGREE, have costas (2) but always end of with my SMITH'S.
They are really nice, I use them exclusively for fly fishing on the Gunnison river here in Colorado. I can see trout rising 60 feet away with them.I also have a couple pairs for saltwater, and there equally as effective.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2007
RPV
Name
Hal
Boat
30' Black Watch, Halibuts Dream
A case of no good deed goes unpunished. In order to go on my once per year fishing trip, I have to endure a trip with my whole family (I get to pay) to Disney World every 2-3 years. Well as I baked in the Florida summer heat, I dropped my Costa 580P glasses. Of course, one of the lenses got a scratch right in the middle.

I've read that replacement lenses cost about $120 and takes a month +. So, I'm pondering do I repair or replace? Also, glass or polycarbonate?

If I replace, what brand do you like?

I use the 580 Glass and never have any scratch problems. Some people say they're too heavy, but if they fit properly I don't notice the difference.

The Costa 580 are at $250.00 list last I checked, but you can get them online for as little as $120.00.

Great Sunglasses imo.

Reactions: errock_22
Upvote 0

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
I've had a ton of glasses of all brands and types. Oakley, Kaenon, MJ's, etc. and have now settled on Costa Del Mar in 580G (glass) optical quality is outstanding, and they are very scratch resistant. I have 3 pairs, one in each base color to cover offshore and fresh situations, it really does make a difference. Very much worth the added expense and fractional weight to go glass in any brand, IMO.

Reactions: Halibuts Dream
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I use only glass lenses...better optics and much better scratch resistance....I have used the Costa 580g lenses for years but tried the Smith Optics about two tears ago....I think that optically the Smith's are better and the polarization as good but don't cut the yellow color spectrum like the 580's.....so I now use both.....

Jon use the scratched ones for a spare and mowing the lawn.....get a new pair....

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
I also use the Costa's 580 glass lenses..

I've tried many others over the years.. these are the best by far. You can even have prescription lenses for them..

They are great for driving as well....

Protecting your eyes is well worth the expense of quality glasses.

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/men

Tight lines,

Jef

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Picked up a New pair of Maui Jims from Costco retail $249. Paid $99
I've been buying the Maui Jim's at Costco too, usually $89. Selection is limited but I check whenever I go in, if there's a pair I really like I buy them. Cheaper than sending them in for new lenses. They are polycarbonate though, not glass. As others have noted, glass has better optics.

Reactions: rdrblck66
Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
There you have it Jon-----they're all good and everyone has their favorite. Find a pair that fits your dome just right and makes you look less ugly (just kidding---your words). I would recommend that you go with glass and not the polycarbonate though. I've got Costa 580G and love them, but I'd feel the same about many brands if that was what I had.

Upvote 0