duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Launched around 3:30PM and headed out to try one of the oil islands. I decided to avoid the closest one since its been busy the last few times I have tried. Loaded up the cages/tubes with Salmon Heads and old Sardines.

We dropped in 35 foot of water or so. First set came up empty. Second set had two keepers one barely legal and one fatty. Pulled two more sets for nothing.

This old girl was over twice as big as the other bug. The last few trips have resulted in mostly shorts and a few barely legal bugs so its nice to get a nice sized model. I wear size 12 flipflops for reference.

Decided to go try a different spot. Engine stalled while positioning to drop. Checked the prop out and I had ran over someones hoop net line. Didnt see a float or a light or anything. No other floats in the area unless they were all stealth mode like the one my prop found. My prop cut the line but a section of rope made it down inbetween the prop and lower before being cut. The resistance from the rope caused the boat to stall.

Removed the foot or so of rope from prop=problem solved.

Luckily I was away from the rocks and going real slow. Definately not cool. My floats all have chem lights and reflective tape. Its not so much for me to find them but to keep others from running over them.

Decided to have steak and lobster lunch with my firstmate and his wife since they live close to where I work and we had two tales left over from our last trip. I feel fat...

2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
that same thing happened to me on the other side of the break wall last summer when is was catching crab. fuckin hectic!

T Shark

Jun 15, 2007
So Cal
Name
Michael
Boat
My Medication
Pretty good for the oil islands. Those are way over hooped.

WaterDawg

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Nice effort. Glad your motor wasn't damaged by the floating rope. I bet you'll catch more after this storm.

Kevin

TAXFREE

Mar 14, 2003
Downey, CA
Visit site
Name
Richard Gleason
Boat
1998 Parker 21 SE CC
Good going Henry. Was Uncle John your dinner guest? My leg/syatic nerve is healing, and in a week or two I hope to be ready to do some hoopin and fishing. I'll let you know.
See Ya.....
Rich on TAXFREE

Reactions: duckbutter6a

duckbutter6a

Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Richard, good guess. John and I have been doing a lot of hooping lately.

Glad to hear your leg is getting better. I bet your going stir crazy!

robaire

Angler
Jul 22, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
n/a
Nice job out there.
Have you thought about heading out to Catalina?
A good friend of mine has been limiting out most every trip.
Thanks for sharing,
Robert

duckbutter6a

Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Thanks! Ive been to Cat once for hooping this year. We got alot of shorts and 3 keepers which is about average for what I am doing in LA. I will admit I dont know the Island well at all BUT I also dont know LA well at all either. For the price of fuel for the haul to Cat I might as well get to know the LA harbor area a little better.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
1 male and 3 females. Liking the odds!. Enjoy your feast!

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Another reason why I don't do the lobster thing. Good story though.