KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
View attachment 1130497View attachment 1130499View attachment 1130498View attachment 1130500View attachment 1130501View attachment 1130502View attachment 1130503
its been a tasty weekend, sushi homemade, sweet and sour meatballs for lunch today, and a retort batch with 100% success, zero popped bags. And an hours bike ride with the family.
I gotta a question. I notice or it looks like you have your canner fairly full of water covering the bags. My canners instructions say to use about 1.5 to 2 inches of water in it. I can see where if the bags are submerged in water the success rate of no breakage would be great....water doesn't compress. Just curious if this is ok to do...IE with less water the steam is doing the cooking.

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
I gotta a question. I notice or it looks like you have your canner fairly full of water covering the bags. My canners instructions say to use about 1.5 to 2 inches of water in it. I can see where if the bags are submerged in water the success rate of no breakage would be great....water doesn't compress. Just curious if this is ok to do...IE with less water the steam is doing the cooking.
Kim I have a great success rate, and am not changing a thing. Others have commented too over time. I pack the canner so tight there is no roomer for water, although it seems like lots of water if you take out the bags its about 2". after the processing time when I remove the lid after cooling and decompressing on its own there is half the water remaining before removing the bags. then after removing the bags there is about 1" of water in the bottom. pack it tight, then pack it tighter, then take enough bags out to put a jar in, then put the bags back in that you took out...come on pussy squeeze them in there, they will fit. then fill with water till the bags are covered as in the picture, bring to boil with lid covering pot but not latched, then put stainlesss tray or pie plate. i prefer stainless tray as it breaths, then close and lock lid, then wait for steam vent, then time steam vent 10 min, then weight vent, then wait 90 min, then turn off, then go on walk/bike ride with kids, then have a beer, then remember you have canned tuna in the cooker still, then proceed to forget about it again, you can open after the pressure is normalized and cooled on its own. takes longer to cool in summer of course.....hope this helps!

your bags pop because its is not packed tight enough, not the water. although I've never popped a bag if I fill it, but since there is not 100% water in the pot at the end, that proves the point it is not the water...also i know several people who think I'm crazy BUT......

AGAIN!!!! YOUR POPPED BAGS ARE FROM NOT BEING PACKED IN TIGHT ENOUGH!!!

ring me kim if you would like me to run through my process start to finish in more detail. my bag loading procedure is zero mess and zero smell while processing which means no tuna on outside of bags and no failures while processing, the water is clean and clear enough to drink and the canner doesn't even need to be washed. but of course you wash it anyway so it will serve you for years.

Attachments

TonyG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Kim I have a great success rate, and am not changing a thing. Others have commented too over time. I pack the canner so tight there is no roomer for water, although it seems like lots of water if you take out the bags its about 2". after the processing time when I remove the lid after cooling and decompressing on its own there is half the water remaining before removing the bags. then after removing the bags there is about 1" of water in the bottom. pack it tight, then pack it tighter, then take enough bags out to put a jar in, then put the bags back in that you took out...come on pussy squeeze them in there, they will fit. then fill with water till the bags are covered as in the picture, bring to boil with lid covering pot but not latched, then put stainlesss tray or pie plate. i prefer stainless tray as it breaths, then close and lock lid, then wait for steam vent, then time steam vent 10 min, then weight vent, then wait 90 min, then turn off, then go on walk/bike ride with kids, then have a beer, then remember you have canned tuna in the cooker still, then proceed to forget about it again, you can open after the pressure is normalized and cooled on its own. takes longer to cool in summer of course.....hope this helps!

your bags pop because its is not packed tight enough, not the water. although I've never popped a bag if I fill it, but since there is not 100% water in the pot at the end, that proves the point it is not the water...also i know several people who think I'm crazy BUT......

AGAIN!!!! YOUR POPPED BAGS ARE FROM NOT BEING PACKED IN TIGHT ENOUGH!!!

ring me kim if you would like me to run through my process start to finish in more detail. my bag loading procedure is zero mess and zero smell while processing which means no tuna on outside of bags and no failures while processing, the water is clean and clear enough to drink and the canner doesn't even need to be washed. but of course you wash it anyway so it will serve you for years.
nice rundown. having a kick ass vacuum sealer probably doesn't hurt either.

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
nice rundown. having a kick ass vacuum sealer probably doesn't hurt either.
the packer is bad ass, but I never broke a seal I made, it was always a factory seal. its more about being methodical and making the process, clean and tidy from start to finish. I could run a class I do it the same every time, LOL

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
Apr 1, 2011
Ferndale
Name
Eric
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
Made it half way down guemes channel before being hailed by a CG/WDFW combo patrol on a CG safe boat. It was Obvious we were not going island hoping.
So it’s not legal to go boating now either? I thought they just shut down fishing and state parks, launches, etc... I fueled the boat up yesterday because the price for ethanol free fuel was so cheap! It will probably get cheaper, but I don’t know so filled her up.

Walker Inc.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
So it’s not legal to go boating now either? I thought they just shut down fishing and state parks, launches, etc... I fueled the boat up yesterday because the price for ethanol free fuel was so cheap! It will probably get cheaper, but I don’t know so filled her up.
we were told that they were going to be patrolling around the islands all day, and in very strong words said we would be made an “example of” if we were caught fishing. I was in a friends boat, not my call. I’m an envelope pusher so I would have of course wanted to see what the example was😁

Reactions: Grady226

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
Well it’s Sun Day!

Original rod holders angled back have the bait rods, trolling rod holder added to hold the trolling rods straight up out of the way while we are on a bait stop (instead of laying them in the walk around) It also deconflicts the rods while stowed.
Rod Holder modified by Ryan/Offshore Solutions.

490F8086-A8F8-466C-BB1F-32D0965047BC.jpeg

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
we were told that they were going to be patrolling around the islands all day, and in very strong words said we would be made an “example of” if we were caught fishing. I was in a friends boat, not my call. I’m an envelope pusher so I would have of course wanted to see what the example was😁
I would of deployed the gear without hooks or bait just to feel like I was fishing...just for fun.

TwoTapPat

Crank the handle Randle
May 22, 2013
some where on the water
Name
Pat
Boat
High on the Goat
Thanks for looking out. It's not paint. It enamel that's baked on. Have had a couple dozen fires in it already. That stuff doesn't burn off. GTG.

Reactions: Barracuda1