Trying to Learn
May 29, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Dave K
Boat
n/a
Hey BD,

I'll be riding on the San Diego this Sunday 5/16.

In light of the recent reports of BFT on the full day boat, I figure a few BD'rs might be on the same trip

Anyone planning to be on board? Let me know, and lets have a beer.

Also related, has anyone been out the last few days? Would a Calstar 270-8H with a 25N star drag with 65lb braid and fluoro leader be able to handle the grade of tuna they're catching? I have something heavier, but its a short 6ft Seeker A 660XH rod with 40n 2spd. I figured I could flyline on the 270-8h, and use the 660xh for 160g flatfalls since its too short for casting.

Thanks everybody,

Dave K

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Yea the first set up will work I would bring the 40n as back up but the 1st set would be fun to catch those 20 -50lb fish.

Last edited:
    Reactions: pascuale and DaveyK
    Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    If they bite heavy, go heavy. I have gone 40 lb for 40 lb’ers, it’s sporty. There’s also a huge chance of bigger grade. Go as heavy as you can get bit on for BFT.

Fish heavy unless it‘s necessary to scale down.

270 8h is more of a 25-30 for me But can do 40. I like 25# for paddies and light fly line on an 270H.

I do like my rods stiff. I have also dropper looped 80 & 100 for local YT when they bit it. Woulda done 130 but didn‘t have it on me.

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Yes, might get your ass handed to you but that reel can handle a 100lb model (line cap is what id worry about on the 25N) if you had to, considering you had appropriate leader size, etc. I got a 90lb model on a Torium 20 a few years back. It hurt but got 2 fish, one 90 and the other 60. Most fish are smaller grade but ya never know what may show up. Good thinking on the 40N for jigs, then backup bait if bigger models show up. Next time you head out let me know. Im going to Gonzaga this week. Kill em!

Reactions: DaveyK
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    If they bite heavy, go heavy. I have gone 40 lb for 40 lb’ers, it’s sporty. There’s also a huge chance of bigger grade. Go as heavy as you can get bit on for BFT.

270 8h is more of a 25-30 for me But can do 40. I like 25# for paddies and light fly line on an 270H.

I do like my rods stiff. I have also dropper looped 80 & 100 for local YT when they bit it. Woulda done 130 but didn‘t have it on me.
    I was thinking close to your thoughts, But a 270 in my opinion is more of a 20-25lb. I wouldn't even think of fishing it with 40lb, Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    I was thinking close to your thoughts, But a 270 in my opinion is more of a 20-25lb. I wouldn't even think of fishing it with 40lb, Just my thoughts.

he did say it’s an H which to me would mean 30 lb. 40 only if you have to.

I like a lot of lever, my 196 fishes 12-15. I don’t have a 270 anymore. I miss it though.

Reactions: DaveyK and kevina
    Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    I‘m forgetful, I have a 270, I think. RR wrap I inherited 20-25.

270 8h- fished 25 perfect or 30

all line izor. That’s a different topic though.

I have never fished the top end of a rating, usually the bottom. New sabres are noodles, only calstar, no UC new whatever, calstar and classics

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

DaveyK

Trying to Learn
    May 29, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Dave K
    Boat
    n/a

Appreciate the tips. I was hoping to have a heavier rod in between the two but havent had a chance to get one.

Upvote 0

DaveyK

Trying to Learn
    May 29, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Dave K
    Boat
    n/a
    Yes, might get your ass handed to you but that reel can handle a 100lb model (line cap is what id worry about on the 25N) if you had to, considering you had appropriate leader size, etc. I got a 90lb model on a Torium 20 a few years back. It hurt but got 2 fish, one 90 and the other 60. Most fish are smaller grade but ya never know what may show up. Good thinking on the 40N for jigs, then backup bait if bigger models show up. Next time you head out let me know. Im going to Gonzaga this week. Kill em!
    I have leaders in 10lb increments from 20-60, so I should have some range here. I'll bring both sets and then see whats the hot ticket from whoever gets bent first haha.

Appreciate the help here! I'll definitely let you know about next time. Don't get to come down much since I am in LA, but I'm there for the weekend with the GF and she let me have sunday for myself 😈.

Have fun in Gonzaga!

Reactions: pascuale
    Upvote 0

DaveyK

Trying to Learn
    May 29, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Dave K
    Boat
    n/a
    Yea that was my concern.

I am stuck with the two, but will try to go heavy first and see what happens. I just built the 270-8H as my first rod (will be posting it in rod building forum soon once I take photos), and haven't had a chance to build a 40-50lb rod yet. That is next up!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
    Encinitas, CA
    www.coastlaw.com
    Name
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat
    Nah
    I fish a Seeker Black Steel 270-8H as my go-to 25-30lb bait rod. I've caught tuna to 50-60lbs on it, but in reality, anything over about 40lb on that rod is pretty much an ass kicker. There are some bigger fish in the mix, and I think this rod would work, but you'd hurt. Knowing and working your drag on these bigger fish/lighter line will be critical!

I'm heading out on a private charter tomorrow fishing these same fish and will be fishing a 25 ft piece of 30lb fluoro for those 50-70lbers on a Seeker Athena (don't knock the pink!) GTS80H, rated 30-60, with a Torque 15LD2 backed with 50lb izorline braid. For the sniper/zakana jigs, I'll be using a Torque 30LD2 wih 60lb fluoro on a UC Challenger Platinum CHP70HP (40-80 rated).

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Appreciate the tips. I was hoping to have a heavier rod in between the two but havent had a chance to get one.
    Nothing wrong with your setups. 270h is an offshore Swiss Army knife. Great until you just need a bigger tool. I like 25# izor on that stick. 30 is fine, splitting hairs now. 40 only buys abrasion resistance but fuck it pretzel that bitch out if you need to.

It really says something that you still see a lot of well equipped anglers with glass calstars. 30 yrs ago I bought a 196 because I was a half day pinhead and it launched a chovy more gently. 270 is the perfect bottom end rod for offshore, unless it’s albies or crackers on less than #20.

Upvote 0

DaveyK

Trying to Learn
    May 29, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Dave K
    Boat
    n/a
    @NaClAddict based on your comments I feel super confident in the gear which usually, at least to me, is the first step.

After doing so much research last year on rod building, the 270 ended up being the first rod I chose to build, but the plan is to really build up a bunch of Calstars while I can still get the blanks. You'll see the first build on the rod building forum in the next week hopefully. I just need to get it outside and take some photos.

Let me know what boats you fish. I'd enjoy fishing with you and I'll buy the first round of beers!

Upvote 0

DaveyK

Trying to Learn
    May 29, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Dave K
    Boat
    n/a
    I fish a Seeker Black Steel 270-8H as my go-to 25-30lb bait rod. I've caught tuna to 50-60lbs on it, but in reality, anything over about 40lb on that rod is pretty much an ass kicker. There are some bigger fish in the mix, and I think this rod would work, but you'd hurt. Knowing and working your drag on these bigger fish/lighter line will be critical!

I'm heading out on a private charter tomorrow fishing these same fish and will be fishing a 25 ft piece of 30lb fluoro for those 50-70lbers on a Seeker Athena (don't knock the pink!) GTS80H, rated 30-60, with a Torque 15LD2 backed with 50lb izorline braid. For the sniper/zakana jigs, I'll be using a Torque 30LD2 wih 60lb fluoro on a UC Challenger Platinum CHP70HP (40-80 rated).
    MAG, thanks for the heads up and reference to your own gear. I'll probably use the heavy rod if I see everyone hooking into big stuff, but if all day we struggle to get bit and then run into smaller size I will use the 270-8h. One day of getting my ass kicked would feel good at this point. My back is in relatively good shape so better now than later.

If you don't mind, please let us know how your trip goes and what you run into.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    To be honest, a guy I used to charter with a bunch had a 270 8h calstar factory wrap with a sealine. It looked so similar to my 196 w/sealine we often switched accidentally, or didn’t care, or on purpose. Hell, there were times where we just didn’t remember who owned what anymore because we handled each other’s gear so much it seemed familiar. But my buddy definitely liked planking me.

This was all during sardine years, I really like that 270 8h for offshore with dines. That spindle has been copied so many times! I thought many times about “forgetting“ to make sure I had that 196 (196 8h is fucking sick as hell too, pretty sure mine is an H). But she was my first for many firsts, taught me well, and I still fish her hard.

Upvote 0

louisurfer

• Nov 20, 2020
    Portola Hills, CA
    Name
    Louis
    Boat
    None
    Good luck to you. We'll be doing the same trip in about a week and a half. They booked up fast this next week and fish counts have been varying every day. Be looking forward to your trip report.

We'll be bringing 3 setups.
    Fathom 25NLD2 50#/(30#) on Calstar 670.
    Torium 20 65#/(40#) on Graftech Jigsticks
    Fathom 30LD2 65#/(50#) on Californian's (30-80)

I hope that covers the full-day ranges.

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    I'll be on the boat Tues.