Irishman

Irishman
Jul 20, 2004
La Mesa
Name
Alan
Boat
n/a
Fun day on the water, 40+ on the boat, easy crowd to work with, nearly all fish on yo-yo or surface iron once bait was thrown.
First yellow was a nice one, until fuckin seal decided to work me, 20 min tug of war with skipper and # 2 running the boat assisting. Fish was landed with minimal damage to the parts that mattered, reel probably needs new drags installed. Great day on the water. Islands and further south, schools were there but iffy.

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Jaact

Almost A Member
Aug 3, 2014
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Yes
Seal was after that hamachi kama :mad:

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Glad you won the battle, yeah your reel might need some tuning after a sustained fight like that. Maybe just start with some gear oil and see how she's running before getting too involved.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
My jack Russell got into it with a seal again recently and got bit on the foot that left a small bleeding scratch on his foot.
After cleaning it up right away and 2 days at the vet the infection still almost killed him...
Makin me think twice about eating any seal bit fish.. Definitely not raw..

Upvote 0

fisherman11

Almost A Member
Apr 29, 2012
san diego
Name
dan smith
Boat
sea witch
I was told to always freeze the fish to kill the bacteria, before thawing and then eating it raw. However, I have a typical home freezer, not commercial grade.

Good info here regarding parasites and bacteria in fish you're about to eat:

http://seafoodhealthfacts.org/seafood_safety/patients/parasites.php

I know this post belongs somewhere else, someone please feel free to find the right spot on this site and repost.

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
My jack Russell got into it with a seal again recently and got bit on the foot that left a small bleeding scratch on his foot.
After cleaning it up right away and 2 days at the vet the infection still almost killed him...
Makin me think twice about eating any seal bit fish.. Definitely not raw..

The difference is that in your dog's case, the bacteria was introduced directly into the bloodstream.

If you ate the fish that was bit, even if the fish got some bacteria in its bloodstream and you ate it, the bacteria would be introduced to your stomach, where it will almost certainly be killed by your stomach acid without harming you.

Reactions: lougio
Upvote 0

Irishman

Irishman
Jul 20, 2004
La Mesa
Name
Alan
Boat
n/a
Fish was on ice from 7pm on Sunday till 8pm last night, immediately after getting home on Sunday the yellow in question was examined and head and parts near seal bite cut away, anyhow it was eaten today. Am not worried about getting some kind of parasite, human body is stronger and more resilient than we give credit for.

Upvote 0