Goonie

Goodies Never Say Die!
Aug 22, 2013
El Cajon, CA.
Name
Jason
Boat
17' Gregor
Need help finding UV protective gloves, hat, shirt. Father's Day I wore a long sleeve shirt and ended up burning the backs of my hands. Also, it seems like the sun goes right through my hats are burns my bald head. Advice from actual users would be nice. Tks!

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Aftco Ninja will get you most of the way there. Pretty sure Aftco makes the light, UV gloves as well. Dana Landing in Mission Bay has the Ninjas.

Reactions: jer dog

Normslanding

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
Many of the shops that sell in tropical areas, and fly shops sell gloves that are just for that.

otownjoe

rail hugger
Mar 6, 2012
Orlando
Name
Joe
Boat
big one with a high rail
I prefer the Columbia omni shade shirts, wide brim straw hats and finger less gloves from a fly shop.

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Aftco Ninja will get you most of the way there. Pretty sure Aftco makes the light, UV gloves as well. Dana Landing in Mission Bay has the Ninjas.
I use the AFTCO Ninja. I have the hooded model shirt and two without hoods but I have the pull over hood to go with these shirts when out on the water. The Ninja shirts cost me $60 or $80 at the Fred Hall show last year. I thought it was expensive but I bought it anyway and am happy with it's performance..............

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I prefer the Columbia omni shade shirts, wide brim straw hats and finger less gloves from a fly shop.
I used to be a die-hard straw-hat guy. When the wind comes up, it's just too hard to keep them on. Ninja hood over visor keeps me covered. I still slather the sunscreen on uncovered areas--the gloves will be my next purchase for freshwater bassin' where there never seems to be any shade!

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
I used to be a die-hard straw-hat guy. When the wind comes up, it's just too hard to keep them on. Ninja hood over visor keeps me covered. I still slather the sunscreen on uncovered areas--the gloves will be my next purchase for freshwater bassin' where there never seems to be any shade!
Good idea pulling over the hat. I have that same color Ninja and it does the job. I don't fry anymore and my buddies do. They will figure it out.....

Reactions: Goonie and T.O.T.W.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Look like Hannibal Lector! But hey, anything to avoid having shit cut off later.

Reactions: T.O.T.W. and Goonie

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Look like Hannibal Lector! But hey, anything to avoid having shit cut off later.
It is funny you would say that because when the guys are slathering sunscreen I always say "It rubs the lotion on it's skin"...

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
It is funny you would say that because when the guys are slathering sunscreen I always say "It rubs the lotion on it's skin"...
I almost did a cross border tax financing on Silence of the Lambs and Terminator, both produced by Carolco. CFO was a crook, but he was banging his hot assistant. He was indicted for tax evasion using offshore pass through accounts. Carolco later went bankrupt. Interesting times.

Reactions: apogee

stanky1

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
How is that fishing ninja thing on a hot day? Do your glasses fog up because of it?
I've been thinking about getting one of those AFTCO sun masks, but they also look too hot, and too foggy for glasses.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
How is that fishing ninja thing on a hot day? Do your glasses fog up because of it?
I've been thinking about getting one of those AFTCO sun masks, but they also look too hot, and too foggy for glasses.
Not too bad on a hot day. I've never been to Clipperton or any place like that to really test them, but you can always dump some water on your head! They dry quickly.

I use the gaiter/sun mask as well. They all fog the glasses at times. More so, I suppose, if you're a heavy mouth breather!

All that said, I absolutely hate that feeling of heat radiating from my face after a day in the sun and knowing I fried myself again. I did eight years as a crew member and captain and had way too many unprotected days in the sun. So, I'm a little more tolerant of a little heat discomfort and minor fogging if it'll prevent the burn.

Riding High

Professional Curmudgeon
Feb 11, 2010
La Cresta, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
Parker 2120 - Riding High
For shirts I just wear long-sleeve Carhartt tees. For a hat I struggled finding good hats for years because I have a huge head (size 8 works but 8 1/8 would be better). I finally found the Tilley Hat Co. They make boating hats that are sewn to be really tough. My favorite is the Tilley Indestructible Hemp hat. Washable, UPF 50+ and comes with a chin strap.

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

Fleet

Thepowderblues.com
May 17, 2015
Solana Beach
Name
Fishing Jedi
Boat
BW Outrage/RHFleet.org
Exactly what i use.

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
This is why we never get stopped by the Mexican Navy...

[/QUOTE]

TheToxicJon

Jul 4, 2015
Name
jonathan cotter
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler 14
I like using white long sleeve shirts, soccer socks and uv neck/face wrap and any hat thatdoesnt have mesh. bucket hats are my fav

ridin high: I saw your location is la cresta, I am in De Luz. nice to see others in my area.

PD41

Jul 15, 2014
Redondo
Name
Butch
Boat
20' Bertram
Get a tan and don't worry about it.
If your scared of skin cancer then don't
Drive a car. Your odds of getting killed driving to go fishing are much higher.