Area13

That's gonna leave a mark!
Jul 21, 2014
Fox Island, WA
Name
Clint
Boat
Hewes
Myself and 2 other buddies are trying to plan a trip to Vancouver Island this Summer for some slabs. Not necessarily looking to fill the freezer, more of a slab quest. 2 of us are still searching for a Tyee and are having a tough time scratching one out in MA13! We thought it would be fun to plan a trip this July or August to the great white north, drink crown royal and listen to Rush by the fire at night, fish with knucklebusters in the morning.

We are very early in the planning pro-sess and none of us have ever fished Canada/Vancouver Island. We have plenty of time to figure out aboot the license and passport shit, just looking for suggestions on where to go.
So... 3 guys, SR 190 in tow and 3 separate tents so we're clear. We only have 5 days to work with, so 3 full days of fishing. We plan on taking the boat from Pt Angeles and driving to our destination. We are looking at the Salmon U places online right now which is nice because they have detailed fishing maps, so far we are looking at these.

Ucluelet- 9hr drive. Could boat over from Neah, not sure we are comfortable in a 190 SR with 700 lbs of fishermen, camping gear and 300 lbs of beer, seems sketchy.

Nootka Sound- 10hr drive

Port Hardy- 9.5 hr drive

Winter Harbor- 10hr drive

I would say the early lean are the last 2. Both are close to each other in case one place is dead and also gives us a choice of fishing inside or outside Vancouver Island.

So as I said, we are camping, so a place to pitch a tent and a ramp are mandatory where we stay. Any place that has good fishing, camping and a launch that anyone wants to chime in on where and WHEN would be great, less travel time the better, but 10hrs is probably max. I don't see powell River on S.U., it's only 8 hrs.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Forgettable member
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
While all the places you mention could yield a tyee, the odds are not great anymore. You need to consider Rivers inlet in early August as I think the odds are better if bigger fish are your main goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swede

Area13

Jul 21, 2014
Fox Island, WA
Name
Clint
Boat
Hewes
Gotcha. I just don’t think Rivers inlet is an option this time around, too expensive. We all have our money wrapped up in boats and plan on using what we got and where we can trailer it.

Wild Bill

Forgettable member
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Trailer up to Hardy and boat across. Very doable and not much more money involved. It is about 70 miles by water from Hardy.

Last edited:

Area13

Jul 21, 2014
Fox Island, WA
Name
Clint
Boat
Hewes
Ok, i’ll look into it. I thought it was kinda far in our little 190SR, maybe not? We don’t want to get in a bad situation or stuck somewhere, looks a little exposed. But yeah, that looks like the place to be if doable.

twolabz

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 2, 2013
Kitsap
Name
Jason
Boat
NO Boat
I have trailered up to Nootka twice with my 22' Sea Ranger. Crossing in Port Angeles. I have stayed at Critter Cove. There is a camp ground called Cougar Creek that has a launch. We go the second week of August. Have not caught any Tyee's the biggest has been 25# you can go outside is a easy run if the weather cooperates for bottomfish and halibut. Nootka Sound is a beautiful place.
http://vancouverislandcampsites.blogspot.com/2016/05/cougar-creek.html

Reactions: Area13

Wild Bill

Forgettable member
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Usually early mornings are ok that time of year for the run across but watch the weather for sure. Ping Deep Magic (the fisherman formerly known as Capt Poon) on here for more details as he has done this trip many times.

Madisea

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 7, 2009
Preston, WA / Anacortes, WA
Name
Arik
Boat
40' Riviera/Weldcraft Rebel 188
I agree that getting a Tyee anywhere is certainly getting more difficult, but your chances at a better grade of fish are better on Vancouver Island. My first trip to the west side of Vancouver Island was in an 18' Boston Whaler and we camped in Ucluelet. Pretty straightforward trip, trailered the boat right to the campground and used the ramp at Island West. Studied maps for many hours pre-trip looking for fishy contours and sure enough that was where the fleet was. Transitioned to a hotel the next year. Cost was honestly not that much higher going with the hotel v. paying for a campsite. Haven't ventured further north on VI yet, mostly because we were getting Ucluelet dialed in more each year. Now some of our most productive spots are where we are fishing alone. I think your list is a great place to start. I love the research part just as much as the fishing. You will learn a lot about the island and have a great time at any of those locations.

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
I would consider Barkley Sound and Uculet in Late July and early August. Rats Nose, Pt. Beale, South bank. If the NW winds are howling you can fish inside or the surfline.

Poetts Nook has been great to us in the past. Book a camping spot by March. Drive isn't that bad. Takes us three hours to drive 30 miles on that awful logging road but might be able to park at Ukee or Port Alberni and motor up the Fjord. Just do it before 11 or you will get the shit kicked out of you from the winds that rip through the Fjord. There and back was only around 500 miles. Ferries are pricey but divided up it is reasonable. We went when the exchange rate was almost equal, better now I imagine.

Oh and they let you store your fish in the freezer for a fair price. Maybe $3 a fish and they were rock solid for a day after our return.

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
While I LOVE Nootka and staying at Critter Cove, there is only a minor chance at a TYEE. I've read more reports of Tyee caught at Campbell River in recent years than West Coast.

BTW, from Olympia, the trip to Nootka takes 12+ hours, by the time you factor early arrival for the ferry, the crossing, fuel stops, etc. It takes 14 hours from my driveway to the Critter Cove docks, taking the Tsawwassen/Duke Point ferry.

Area13

Jul 21, 2014
Fox Island, WA
Name
Clint
Boat
Hewes
Ok guys, great info, keep it coming, appreciate it.

Talking with my crew, we are penciling in 8/10-8/14 wherever we end up. THIS is helping my seasonal disorder! Can’t wait to lock somewhere down and start studying charts.

WSU

Jun 19, 2012
unknown
Name
unknown
Boat
none
I don't have much to add except that I did a trip to Hardy about 10 years ago. Maybe a little more. When we were there, nobody was fishing the locations you see on Salmon U. Everyone was running north and fishing the ocean. We had an 18' boat, no radar, etc. and weren't capable of doing that. So we scratched a few fish inside but it was far from good fishing. While it could be that we were new (we were), none of the locals and guides were fishing inside. I assume they wouldn't make the extra run to the ocean if fishing inside was good. Could be a timing thing but I would look closing at when you expect fish to be inside if you head to Hardy.

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
With those dates, I’d go hammer Neah for big kings out deep. Youd be adding 2.5 days of fishing. Theres some toads that come out of Neah. Large plugs etc work. I know its not as fun as exploring Canada etc. but with the more time on the water your odds increase. Team Sency,Chris, always does well on big kings up there maby ping him. There always the option for Candian license to get your halis as well.

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
Still looking for my first tyee.... :D There are very few spots you can “count” on catching a tyee. If it were me I would go to where I though I could catch the most fish, maximize my fishing time, and enjoy the time fishing with buddies. It is easy to get caught up in wanting to catch that big fish and get disappointed if you don’t.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
It's a long drive but don't overlook Kyuquot sound. I was up there in mid/late august at Slam Bang fishing lodge and it was non-stop action on kings out by Spring Island. Average size fish we kept was in the low to mid 20's and we weren't very picky. Launch the boat at Fair Harbor and it's about a 20 - 25 minute run to the fishing spots on flat water. There is a campground and marina at Fair Harbor but I didn't stay there... just parked there and met the boat for the ride out to the lodge.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
We are looking at going this year to but will boat up...I would rather put green water over the boat than pay the black ball fee's to tow across...

Barracuda1

Master of None
Jul 7, 2011
All over this bitch!
Name
Fred
Boat
Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
enjoy the time fishing with buddies. It is easy to get caught up in wanting to catch that big fish and get disappointed if you don’t.
What he said. Anytime you can get away with some friends on a trip like that would be enough for me. That said, I hope you get one, they are getting tough to find. Putting in some serious time helps though.

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
Ok guys, great info, keep it coming, appreciate it.

Talking with my crew, we are penciling in 8/10-8/14 wherever we end up. THIS is helping my seasonal disorder! Can’t wait to lock somewhere down and start studying charts.
Here is a video if you need more motivation. :-)

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Here is a video if you need more motivation. :-)

Awesome video! If only every day was like one of those. Must have been late summer in a fjord with that cloudy water like that. What was the lengthxgirth on the last one?

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
Awesome video! If only every day was like one of those. Must have been late summer in a fjord with that cloudy water like that. What was the lengthxgirth on the last one?
Thanks. Was an epic trip. Bummer part was the day we caught 11 fish my damn video camera battery had died so missed out on some other good footage. Will have to get back to you on the length and girth as it is written down in my fishing log book that is on the boat. By far the biggest fish I have caught and felt good to get good video before the release.

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
What type of range do you have on your boat? I went up to Port Hardy a few years ago. Every morning when we were hitting the usual spots around Hardy, a line of charters would make a bee-line past Duval and up to the North Coast of VCI. Cape or Pt. Avill I think.

Plenty of great fishing around Hardy, but I would make the run up there for EPIC fishing. Either that or Winter Harbour, if your going for slabs...I know of a great lodge at WH that will let you take your boat...just pay for lodging/moorage....they will put you on the fish.....Knutson's are great people...fished many times with them...

http://qualicumrivers.com/rates-packages/pricing-bring-your-own-boat/

Area13

Jul 21, 2014
Fox Island, WA
Name
Clint
Boat
Hewes
Thanks Erik, not a bad deal at Winter Harbor with "bring your own boat". $450 a person staying at the lodge 3 nights doesn't sound bad.

Nookie Hooker

Aquatic Slayer
Jul 10, 2010
Custer, Wa
Name
Chris
Boat
Capt. Red
Damn it Gabe. If 2018 fishing @RI is crappy I am blaming you and Sponge Bob for not releasing all your 2014 fish to spawn

OceanSun

Captain
Mar 26, 2013
Snohomish WA
Name
Dan Meyer
Boat
Ocean Dancer 21' Trophy
Consider Bamfield and Barkley Sound. Good mix of inside protected water if it's snotty and offshore banks if it's not. That plus awesome halibut and bottom fish. I would NOT do the crossing from Neah in your boat loaded with camping gear and extra weight.

Reactions: Area13 and AndyJ