Summary of reports and wondering what's next

Discussion in 'Southern CA Private Boater Offshore Trip Planning' started by blue-water, Jul 26, 2018.

1. jsl

jsl Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    none
    You made some excellent points! However, regarding albacore precence, it may be due shifts in migration or overfishing I don't nor does anyone else have a clue about it. Fish do shift migration routes like the adult bluefin we're seeing here. They usually do not occur in abundance as now as their main concentrations are far west .

Scott

2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    The theory that fishing is bad because there is a lower population of fish doesn’t hold water. Go on a boat, there is tonnage of tuna, it’s just not biting.

Also your theory’s of why there are no albacore doesn’t hold water each year. Your map from 1957 doesn’t indicate how the Washington fishing for albacore was then? Perhaps it wasn’t there at all then? It’s a highly migratory species, for it to not be here but be prevalent north of us to me indicates conditions are better north of us, not that a body of fish living in sun-prime water doesn’t exist because of commercial fishing. Get the tin hat off and go look offshore, tuna is there and it’s not hard to find. I haven’t seen one report this year where someone said they went offshore and didn’t see fish. Catching is tough, yes, but to me that is based on my own anecdotal evidence that is based on the tonnage of bait out there along with it. The doom and gloom prognosis couldn’t be further from the truth, our ocean is very healthy. Not to say let’s free for all abuse it, but it might be time to maybe just relax, let the fish settle in, fatten up and catch them when they are biting.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Let em eat 74 likes this.
  3. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I hope you're right, but like I said, the association I see in global tuna population decline with worse fishing off of California is pretty obvious. There might be a lot of fish out there, but there were even more fish back in the day; and the balance between bait fish and game fish is mutually dependent: the less game fish, the more bait fish, for obvious reasons since the former eat the latter.

Also, although there are tons of bait off shore this year - more than usual - in 2016 that wasn't the case. Sardines collapsed in 2015, and they're still in their down cycle, so with only anchovies around, I doubt the slow game fishing in 2016 in 2017 could be due to too much bait alone. Not saying it's due to immediate commercial fishing, either - it doesn't work like that. But long term, the lower populations of game fish have an effect, as generations of young fish - the primary target of the commercial fleet - are wiped out and a general down turn begins.

That's just how I see it, and in this case, I actually hope that you're right, and I'm wrong, but the last three years have definitely been slow compared to, say, 10 years ago. Had there not been cow BFT to distract people, I think more would be talking about it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Rich Fagner and jsl like this.
  4. Tandem Assassin

Tandem Assassin Night Stalker

Name:
    Tonto Hanglow
    Boat:
    "Two Can Chew"
    It's a traditional year - doesn't start to get good until about the 3rd week in August and goes until we get a big winter storm..Give it time.

Shon likes this.
  5. Croaker.Stroker

Croaker.Stroker Old White Guy

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Maybe the fishing is good but people have learned not to share on the internet.

6. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Party boats don't have a choice. They have to share.

7. Croaker.Stroker

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Patriot 3/4 out of Newport today posted 91 yellows for 25 people.

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  8. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    But we were talking about tuna...

9. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    The ones that need passengers do, not all of them. Not even most of them.

BrokenBackRebel likes this.
  10. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Party boats almost all share. Charter boats don't necessarily, but many still do. For example, I know Fortune caught 63 WSB for 21 people recently...

11. Croaker.Stroker

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Well, mostly. But the OP did mention Yellows...

12. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I see, for me that's a very different topic. Yellowtail fishing seem to be off and on and I don't think it's changed much over the last 10 years. I think we'll see the medium size fish turn on soon, and a late season bite on baby fish is still going to happen because those are like half year old fish - right now, you wouldn't see them because they're still bait fish size.

13. yellowfish26

yellowfish26 Totally Nude 24/7

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    No they dont. When its shitty most dont report at all

plj46 and SouthBayKiller like this.
  14. YouFARMEDItBro

YouFARMEDItBro Member

Name:
    Farmer
    Boat:
    Sold It.
    Threads like this are really why I come to BD. Great discussion. The fact of the matter is if you look at the evidence, the fish reports historically, and most importantly make a point to talk to some of the veteran sport boat captains (guys in their 50s and 60s) its pretty clear that stuff is declining in the way of volume sport fishing. Big limits of albacore are gone (and that warm water theory is non-sense), Big boat limits of YFT are becoming much more uncommon and while I'm very aware that BFT are not new, the cows seem to be the biggest draw to sport boats right now, which despite popular opinions probably isnt good for business long term. This time last year the entire fleet was out killing baby yellowtail on paddies to pay their bills because nothing else was around.

The upside here is Yellowtail this spring at the nados was as good as anyone has ever seen it. Bird schools and biting fish for miles. Bass locally and down at the islands are also going full speed.

15. Rich Fagner

Rich Fagner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    Patron
    Too much truth to that answer

16. thedeep1

thedeep1 Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    na
    80 degree ocean temp in Del Mar..... water to hot......no plankton...
    no food in current off shore......:smoking33:

17. Croaker.Stroker

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
    You can only eat so much Tuna. I made my whole family sick of it in the eighties.

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  18. yellowfish26

yellowfish26 Totally Nude 24/7

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    Where did your degree in fisheries management come from?. Ive been fishing here longer than you have been alive. Ive fished commercially, worked on sport boats and have owned my own boat(s) for over 20 years. Your bold claim that the reason Albacore are not around because of warm water is nonsense is actually, well nonsense. There are probably many factors that play into why not but water too warm (67+) is a huge reason why they swim by us WAY outside. Several good Albacore seasons started really well when water temps were 63 - 65 degrees and if we got asummer storm down south that pushed warm water towards So Cal and drove water temps above 68 or so they'd bail real quick (and hopefully get replaced by YFT). Another example would be that traditionally Morro Bay has been as good or better for Albacore as to what So Cal experiences. Water temp in Central Ca almost neved got above 66 ever. But the last several years it has. And no Albacore either.

You can believe it or not but i have observed it first hand

19. jalapeno

jalapeno Newbie

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    Salt Mine
    This guy was not fishing in the 70's, 80's, and 90's

plj46 likes this.
  20. Hollis Harris

Hollis Harris Member

Name: