Summary of reports and wondering what's next

Discussion in 'Southern CA Private Boater Offshore Trip Planning' started by blue-water, Jul 26, 2018.

1. blue-water

blue-water Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Loaded Dice
    Normally, this time of year, the SoCal reports board is burning up with a bunch of reports every day. But needless to say, it's pretty quiet here compared to other years. It's easy to understand, because it seems that there are only two things happening... Take a shot at the jumbos or go scratching around for YTs and the odd small tuna.

To put this in perspective, in the most recent reports from the San Diego landings, there were 7 boats reporting for 1.5 to 2.5 day trips. The 111 anglers on those trips came home with a grand total of 20 tuna, mostly the big boys, but included in that 20 was a handful of the smaller stuff too. Obviously, there are a whole lot of us sitting on the sidelines waiting and hoping for the typical summer pattern with a good shot at schools of the 20 to 40lb fish.

I'm way past even wondering if we'll ever see albacore swing in down here, but does anyone have any intel as to whether there are any substantial schools of YFTs that may be coming into range? I track the Marine Traffic site and while the occasional long range boat heads south, they generally end up swinging in to load on on the nicer grade YTs. And none of them are reporting their usual big summer tuna numbers.

So, where are the schools of YFTs or BFTs that we saw in the last few years? They've got to be somewhere.

2. the doctor

the doctor BEEN AROUND

Name:
    The Doctor
    Boat:
    SeaFox
    San Pedro. Pet food.

3. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    The YFT schools were here, they got wrapped by the seiners...

Shon likes this.
  4. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    Wahoo...?

longboard85 likes this.
  5. thedeep1

thedeep1 Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    na
    the season is over

palella09 likes this.
  6. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    I sure hope so!

7. Arima-bob

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....

I've seen some models that show it possible. I would like another shot at them locally again. Swung and missed the last time. A couple buddies got them

GOFAST88, T-Tang and longboard85 like this.
  8. YouFARMEDItBro

YouFARMEDItBro Member

Name:
    Farmer
    Boat:
    Sold It.
    Local bluefin tuna are here, i reckon this is the last year you will be able to get these things from a 3/4 day and overnight sport boat in any great number as many of them are starting to push 300lbs. (Still game on for Private boats)

Local Yellowfin tuna are now cat food. This gets worse every year. Unless these things swim up and sit in mexican waters post quota, you will not get more than a day to catch them. Now we also have gill nets locally too - YAY!.

Albacore are never coming back. Period. This has nothing to do with water temps. I had a conversation about Albies with a very respected tuna killing captain who has been working the fleet since the 70s and he told me that most of those fish are wrapped by the Taiwanese fleet before they can ever get to us.

Aside from the amazing opportunities for local bluefin, it doesnt look good for the local tuna fishery. Especially YFT.

The good news is that the local yellowtail population seems to be doing well and there is absolute tonnage of them down at the Coronados from spring to summer when they want to bite.

jsl and BarryFree like this.
  9. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I know it keeps getting said here over and over that the yellowfin got wrapped, but I just don't see it and am willing to say that anyone saying that is just trying to nitpick and probably hasn't been out on the water this year. There is a massive tonnage of tuna out there from 15-40lbs. They are just well fed on 2" anchovy and could give two shits about what the boats have to offer. Seems recently there has been an uptick in yellowfin, even some troll biters, perhaps its starting to turn around.

10. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Is this a report, or a theory?

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  11. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I'm with Robert. Just because there is not a lot of catching, doesn't mean that the fish aren't there. I would much rather have a really healthy ocean with tonnage of plankton and immense schools of filter feeders like micro anchovies and sauries for the tunas to chow down on than desperate starving tuna, no matter that it makes catching them easier. Think big picture.

For the past few years, the fishing has gotten better as the season progresses. We got spoiled by a few years of good catch numbers in July, but historically we would catch the early albacore around the July 4th weekend, and not see any yf or bf tuna until mid-August, and fish them until Halloween. I think that is what we will see this year. From Labor Day through Halloween will be a great time to go offshore, but a lot of fishermen blow their budget on early trips and when the fish are actually catchable, they can't go.

And yes, Steve, it's a theory, and probably should have been posted under Chit Chat. But hey, it's the middle of the week and we're all frustrated. No biggie.

12. imrfishing

imrfishing Member

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Defiance admiral 220
    Story of my life last two years. Almost every weekend til end of September. Got pissed. Stopped fishing. Went hunting.

YouFARMEDItBro likes this.
  13. bottomdweller

bottomdweller Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    210 CC, Triumph, Honey Pie
    Season is just getting started, dirty water needs to clear up and fish will settle in. Most early arrival fish are acting normally with their LOCKJAW attitude. September is looking good!

432568 likes this.
  14. Arima-bob

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    I agree with Robert and Gary. I'm sure the seiners got their fill, but they can't wrap them all. There's tons and tons of bait fish out there, and our offerings don't interest them so much.

432568, jsl and mikeyG like this.
  15. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Its still really early and in a matter of days things could change, or not.

16. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Its a report. I saw it with my own eyes.

17. tom cindric

tom cindric Tom-broke-off

Name:
    all she's got
    Boat:
    22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
    The amount pf tuna I seen out there last week was on par with what I've seen in the last few years. They are hard to catch with the micro bait still in tbe area and there are a lot of seiners in the area and that will have them scattered. I think the next 2 months we'll see much of an improvement in the counts. Also, the size of YT under the patties recently was better then in past years. Let's go catching.

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  18. Arima-bob

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....

That's good news! The baby killer posts get old fast.

19. YouFARMEDItBro

YouFARMEDItBro Member

Name:
    Farmer
    Boat:
    Sold It.
    Yea, I'd say 2016 and 2017 were pretty brutal when it comes to the baby killing trips. Never seen so many boat limits of bass sized YT. Glad that is behind us.

[email protected] likes this.
  20. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    BFT have always been around. I don't know why people act like BFT in local water is once in a century event. Read a history of Southern California fishing, or just go to page 600 in the off shore reports. You'll see that, with the exception of a few La Nina years when the water couldn't get past 65 in the summer, local BFT have always been caught. Local cow BFT are new, yes, but cow BFT like marlin have never been an average guy's game.

Yes, I've always thought that scientists who claim they don't know what happened to the albacore are being too conservative. There is an obvious association with the drop off in global albacore populations due to fishing starting from the early 1995, to the eventual disappearance of albacore in Southern California. I know people don't like reading these papers but they should: https://www.wcpfc.int/node/29522

You'll find that there's about a 30% drop off in global albacore population that happened starting from 1995 or so, but that efforts from Asian countries have not exactly decreased. So the result is that a larger fraction of fish are being caught at the west end of this path:

[​IMG]

Since we in California are at the south end of the albacore distribution, this global decrease in albacore population probably caused the schools to concentrate in their prime habitat, which is towards the north and off shore. The spill over albacore we've been getting have thus disappeared. I know there are other explanations like water temperature being too high, but I don't think that's it. We got albacore more or less consistently for close to 100 years in Southern California through multiple warm and cold water decades, and yet they just all of a sudden decided they want to shift their migration path completely?

Can't be sure, but like you, I think it's the effects of commercial over fishing in Asia.

I hate to agree with this, but I think you're right. People who are calling the last two years, the best fishing we've ever had, are either talking only about cow BFT, or are new to off shore fishing. All you need to do, guys, is go back 600 pages to the off shore reports section of 2008 or earlier, and you'll see that the off shore fishing back then was better than it is today. Successful days were more common, no fish days were less common, and there was more variety: you could choose to target albacore, YFT, dorado, OR BFT.

I think 2014 and especially 2015 were indeed better than even the old days - I personally remember days at Catalina where a party boat of 30 people would almost limit out on 25 pound yellow. But starting from 2016, we've been on a down turn, and I don't understand why people insist on calling it an up turn just because of cow BFT. Cow BFT make up 1% of the fish people actually catch in California. Look at the fishing as a whole and you'll see an obvious drop off in the quantity of fish we're catching here in southern California.

It is what it is, and until the global commercial industry decide to get their head out of their collective ass, it's going to stay that way.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018