Sumbawa , Indonesia : High Fishing Adventure

Discussion in 'Anywhere Fishing Reports' started by bajasurbrad, Feb 9, 2019.

1. bajasurbrad

bajasurbrad Sturgeon Whistle... check

Name:
    Brad Murakami
    Boat:
    Lifetimer 17 ft
    Looking to further our Indonesian fishing adventures we set off from the Kila Senggigi Hotel on Lombok to go ‘road tripping ‘ and exploring the neighbouring island of Sumbawa .

We hired our good buddy and professional transport driver Trisna Sutrisna from Mataram , Lombok .

We loaded up all our gear and a cooler of beer in his SUV ( very limited beers sales on Muslim Sumbawa ) and off we went driving the several hours to the ferry terminal on the east side of Lombok . The Ferry cost was 450K IDR for the 3 of us in Trisna’s SUV to Sumbawa's westcoast Poto Tano terminal .

( Note : Trisna asked us to bring up our day packs with valuables from the vehicle up with us during the 1.5 hour voyage just in case ....)

Once off the ferry we continued driving northeast along the good roads passing thru rice and corn farming areas ( lots of cooked corn ‘jagoon’ roadstands with happily fed local monkeys across the road ) and beautifully scenic coastal Mangrove lowlands along the way.

After several hours we made it to the town of Sumbawa Besar which is a freighter port town with lots of fishing boats and a surprisingly large city core and domestic airport .

Thanks to Trisna’s persistence and through multiple successive contacts in town we finally made a deal on renting a 40’ traditional style commercial fishing boat .
    The deal was 3 days and 2 nites of bottomfishing with a jigs and bait for 2.5 million IDR / day on a live aboard boat with all meals and accommodations included.
    That’s $250 Canadian per day split between Tim and I ....a decent deal for us and a great deal for the Capt and his fixed boat expenses .

Capt Sul had his crew of 2 ( second captain-deckhand and the deckhand/cook) as well as friend and deep water jigging expert Tole .He is an accomplished rod and reel guy extremely adept at that fast deep water jigging style so popular in YouTube videos from Indonesia , Singapore and Malaysia ....best guy I’ve ever seen tying specialized knots and splicing braid to braid etc etc

Our first nite on the boat was an adventure in many ways . The boat itself was not designed for anything but being a local commercial fishing boat and thus we sucked it up and endured its ‘ rough edges’ over the 2 nites and 3 days ....The first afternoon we caught nice quality deep water Snappers while anchored on a few 500’-600’ GPS spots some 50 kms from Sumbawa Besar ( over a 3 hour run to the Snapper banks ) .

The cook kept us fed well with meals consisting of fresh rice , fried noodles ( Mie goreng with fresh made chilli sambal ) and fresh caught bbq’d Snappers ( Ikan Bakar ) and Fish Soup . Real local fisherman food , the best I’ve ever had on a boat ....
    Good hot Sumbawa coffee ( kopi) rounded out our on-board meals along with lots of snacks .

While anchored and fishing later that first afternoon the skies dropped and blackened and high wind squalls quickly came up fast and furious creating huge pounding swells with capping tops ...massive rainfall started just down pouring and soon became horizontal from the howling winds ( it was the start of rainy season after all .....)

Quickly the Capt dropped into the engine room to start the engine ....I saw a huge ‘flash’ before the engine fired up and I looked at Tim and I casually said

‘I think the boats on fire ....’

It was all good tho !

The crew desperately pulled the ‘wooden’ anchor and the boat turned tail and ran for the safety of tiny Medang Island 10 kms away .
    Capt ordered everyone into the secure rear of the cabin for safety’s sake ....the seas swells were quite gnarly by then and I heard later that the Capt was actually ‘scared’ about how rough it became at that point ( it must have been concerning also factoring in his responsibilty for us tourists too...)

We finally made anchor for the evening in the safe quiet waters on the leeward-side of tiny low lying Medang Island ....after many hours of being confined in a pitching rollling boat with diesel motor fumes , loud motor and generator noise , the heat and the vibration , you can only imagine how happy we were to finally be anchored in 12’ of water just off the idyllic tropical Mangrove lined isle ....there we all crashed for the nite with the boat crew out on the foredeck of the boat ....and us 3 guests jammed in the hot and uncomfortable back cabin area ...

Then around 2:00 am out of nowhere , the boat heaved way up on a huge swell and slammed down throwing us around the cabin , followed by several more chaotic slams ....we all were awoken by the first jarring slam in a confusing dreamlike state like we were back out in the storm we just ran from ....

Things settled as fast as it started and we all crashed asleep again as everything calmed down .

Consensus in the morning was that we were hit by several mini tsunami’s which was confirmed when we heard there was a sizeable earthquake in Bima City some 150 kms away on Sumbawa ....another example of why it’s always an adventure when in Indo !!!

Interesting fish of all kinds were coming up on the jigs and on the baited handlines and baitrigs.
    Big Eyed Trevallies , Amberjacks , Barracudas , Pelagic deep water Puffers , various small rock/ scorpionfish as well as the target species of Silver to brilliant Orange to Red coloured Snappers of multiple species . The more beautifully red and snapperlike the fish , the more esteemed they are when they are exported to markets in Japan , Korea and Singapore ...
    This style of fishing was entirely new to me and i found it was very difficult to even reach bottom with either of my reels I brought . With both the Avet JX or Penn High Speed Slammer 6500 spin reel I was down to my last few wraps of spectra and sometimes that wasn’t enough to hit bottom due to tidal currents and drag due to the diameter of my spectra .

Tole lent us his large 400 g special ‘butterfly’ jigs purchased in Jakarta and they were hell to fish in those depths being very heavy notwithstanding the tiring rapid jigging technique itself !

I very soon figured out my Penn High Speed 6.2:1 reel with 65 lb spectra was a totally improper setup for the situation as was my heavy ( MH tipped) Okuma Nomad 703 Travel Spin rod . The reel was geared for high speed retrieve ( primarily for popping ) and was brutally tiring to bring up 400g lures from 500-600’ depths .

The rod was ok for jigging but too heavy when I switched to fishing a 2 hook bait rig on 100 lb mono with a 1 lb rebar weight ....The rod was lacking the sensitivity needed to feel the light bites on bait properly to hook fish at those depths .

I then switched over to my Avet JX 6/3 2 speed reel and we removed my 100 lb spectra and respooled on 50 lb PnT spectra . This matched with my much lighter 7’-3” GLoomis Tarpon travel 3 piece rod and became the perfect combo for drops and frequent reel ups ....the rod was much lighter, way more sensitive and I was immediately getting down to bottom properly and feeling bites and hooking fish . The 2-speed Avet was exceptional for this situation as I’d ‘high speed’ the hooked fish as far as I could then I’d ‘low gear ‘ it to finish bringing it to the surface as I got tired towards the end .....perfect reel performance for that particular situation !!!

Overall a great experience fishing in a totally new area of Sumbawa , Indonesia with a hardworking , experienced crew . The big payoff for us was the good fishing contacts and invites to come back and get shown other fisheries at the peak seasonal times for potentially great fishing ops .

Like Southern Sumbawa in May-June and sept for GT’s and Dogtooth Tuna when the seas are calm ...

When in Sumbawa Besar we stayed at the Samawa Transit Hotel . It’s likely one of the better hotels and had a good included Indonesian breakfast buffet and a there was a nice separate coffee bar outside .

It was 500K IDR ($50 Canadian) a nite for a room with 2 single beds , with no fridge . I highly recommend the Samawa Transit Hotel as it’s a very nice comfortable hotel with helpful front desk and service staff and nice facilities .
    Trisna stayed in a economy back street hotel and had to change his room 3 times in 2 nites due to water flooding his room !!!

We could not have completed this trip and experienced the good fun times and great memories without the help of our friend Trisna Sutrisna of Trisna Transport .

This is our second Sumbawa adventure with Trisna where we literally said ‘we’re throwing our fishing gear and bags into your car and let’s go !!’
    Through a single contact in Sumbawa Besar , Trisna was led to various areas of town and met various people until we tracked down Capt Sul at his house . There we decided on charter duration and cost ....then deal was agreed upon for the next morning . We gave 1 million IDR up front for fuel and supplies .

All due to the persistent work of Trisna to satisfy our goals of getting onto a boat with crew for several days of fishing in a town we’d never even been to before !!
    That’s what having friends and contacts in Indonesia is all about ....and gives an idea what a trip like this entails to accomplish .

When back on Lombok we also had Trisna on call usually for exploring the great street food restaurant dinner scene of Mataram . He knows the best most popular local spots for the ultimate culinary guided tour in town !

We also did a drive north of Senggigi for a great trek to the 2 sets of waterfalls near Mt Rinjani with friends ...a must do sidetrip !

I highly recommend contacting Trisna for any transport needs be it Bangsal ( Lombok’s Fastboat harbour ) to wonderful Senggigi , to Mataram , the airport or perhaps beyond to a Sumbawa adventure !

Trisna Sutrisna mobile #

+62 818 03613179

Email : [email protected]

4E70171D-7226-4CC9-A21C-99D8A85E77F8.jpeg E33C8BB8-62B5-4CC1-8FA5-2F143D2DC915.jpeg 0B7F3259-5592-4FBE-A844-91EB4C84C2DD.jpeg D8F1D857-E6CC-4349-BA66-06B22BD20D4E.jpeg 1AE64FC6-9280-42B3-94EF-CB80870B2F81.jpeg 647528D5-031B-4A2C-B63B-CF2A8217BEB8.jpeg 8D64DE28-9821-4B7E-A079-8DC0A0AE2E56.jpeg 484977BF-A23A-4643-B7D3-B8B7E0DCE2A0.jpeg BCB752AF-6EBB-41A5-8833-E3EBE8D0ED1A.jpeg 1BB7DD2F-5093-434D-A228-8B9FA01F66C5.jpeg 3E3710F1-30C5-4058-A77F-DFE9068680AA.jpeg D8AD8680-4BBF-4CEE-A0BB-44EBC914513B.jpeg C9BA7719-3DF8-45D4-8518-E4763AE40451.jpeg FFD77382-9281-4F95-A26C-8C7CE4C91392.jpeg BB7AA9A6-22B2-4622-854E-4FD83E66249A.jpeg 1787E17D-9B50-42A2-BE4F-F85A6C18099B.jpeg 94F4A109-DD77-43D0-B001-8A0084580B85.jpeg 2A6EF9C6-3877-4868-B566-741B34E386BD.jpeg A27D4BE6-10AA-4EBF-956E-F6173F4E837E.jpeg 39113FC8-A107-47AF-9ECA-1C16CD7A8EE0.jpeg 340E04CF-84D1-4219-BF75-92741CC14655.jpeg 503F5D7F-FBED-451B-B527-8DCE7FCF9B33.jpeg 648989D3-2F78-47F9-895E-9BEA1EFFEDA6.jpeg 45EB4B9E-EDC7-4645-A237-3B71FEE6D577.jpeg 61400EE3-B8FB-40A5-8F2B-2C079F66A401.jpeg 39515FE2-6386-4F56-8861-45872D9F3501.jpeg 1BA1878E-5ADE-4B4D-9B38-2E5363936A2F.jpeg B535FE51-E9B2-4A3F-9CE8-8FAC7EDB1D35.jpeg D3E94B68-AF4D-4CFC-83F3-E42C18A74EF4.jpeg F154EA6D-D558-4402-97E2-6A4FDB3E1F70.jpeg

lee337, rexor_rn, scotth and 6 others like this.
  2. fly liner

fly liner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18.5 wahoo/15' prowler
    Sounds like quite the adventure.

3. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carl Z
    Boat:
    Very Cool -Thanks for posting this Brad.

4. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    Great report. Thanks for taking the time. :-)

5. openclass

openclass Newbie

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    Parker 2820
    Nice post compliment from me too.....something original.

6. D DIDDY

D DIDDY Newbie

Name:
    Derrick
    Boat:
    Calgano
    Nice write up Baja!!! Love the detail!! As always ! Looks like you and Tim had a good adventure there- something most people just wouldn’t do! Loreto and Lopez next for me! It’s too bad you ran outta time- Lol

7. bassjedi

bassjedi Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None
    Awesome! Thanks for posting.

8. IrieMitch

IrieMitch Waterman

Name:
    Mitch
    Boat:
    A Few Different Rigs at the Moment
    I went to both Lombok and Sumbawa on a surf trip in 2006, I caught a few of the Blue Jacks pictured from power canoes that would take us out to the waves.

Thanks for sharing your trip!!! Sounds like a ton of fun and quite the adventure as things usually are in Indonesia! The Indonesian people are some of the nicest most inviting people I have ever met.

Thank you again for sharing this adventure for me to enjoy on this rainy day.

9. bajasurbrad

bajasurbrad Sturgeon Whistle... check

Name:
    Brad Murakami
    Boat:
    Lifetimer 17 ft

Fish Report Update

Hi just a few new pictures received from my Sumbawa fishing buddy Tole .
    He again was deep water jig fishing near Medang Island on the same boat this time with a crew of his local jigging buds ....

Tole in the back with a Flame Snapper and his buddy with a huge Giant Ruby Snapper

Giant Ruby Snapper and a nice GT

‘We Slay ‘ pic with crew
    A very nice grade of larger fish in there ....

Last pic of a quality GT taken on a popper
    One happy dude hey ?

3664638B-D65E-4FEC-AD2C-BCC660585989.png 8BC63E07-6C1E-434B-9848-3A459CFE5F33.jpeg 1BB71EB6-E7D8-4047-B309-29D5EF26E42F.jpeg 34C99D23-38A9-4F68-8D19-EAF0A9BFE0AA.jpeg

Whalebreath likes this.