Suggestions on a boat to land some bluefin?

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    Looks like the condor and other boats from fisherman's landing that were there last night all came back with bluefin. Guess that's the proof he wanted right

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Looks like the condor and other boats from fisherman's landing that were there last night all came back with bluefin. Guess that's the proof he wanted right

I'm sure they caught some. The real problem is when the fish are biting, you have a very short window like a day or two to be in the spot. If you wait a few days, it might as well be a few centuries because the fish would have moved on or the fishing pressure would drive the fish down.

Just keep an eye on the moon phase when the fish are biting best. What you do is plan your trips around when you have the best chance to get fish. It won't always work out, but the information is important. Right now the moon is around 30% away from a new moon. Usually a few days before or after the new moon is a good time in general.

Full moons are better for other types of fish, but for tuna, its usually a bad time because they would be feeding all night long if the weather is clear. They would be full in the early morning and the first bites would be around the afternoon. If you are on a one day trip, the fish would not be hungry in the morning and you will miss the evening bite since the boat is already heading back at 3PM. Its better to book a 1-1/2 day trip because you get the morning and evening bite.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    It must be an epic bite because the boats has not left the area. I'm sure they saved a ton of fuel today. At least we know where the fish are at. Its funny how the long range and San Diego boats have a longer trip than the local boats from LA, New Port or Dana Point.

The Condor had caught 35 bluefins. Who knows how many they lost. They literally left them biting.

1627945679902.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
    Three Rivers California
    Name
    PJ Stevko
    Boat
    N/A
    The reports from fisherman's Landing is most boats caught limits of bft so get your name on a waiting list now......

Speaking of which..... I just got a call from FL informing me of a couple cancelations on a PQ trip leaving Aug 15 - 17th....

Bryantttt
    Bryantttt
    What's pq?
    and yes indeed! I think I will. it's just whether or not the bite will continue
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I am going to suggest that you NOT ride a party boat to learn to fish Bluefin tuna. There have been some very fine vessels mentioned and it is possible that you would ride any of them and come back with a fish or two. It happens.

It also happens that you can ride several different trips and come back with nothing, and almost nothing learned. Bluefin tuna fishing is very much like big game hunting for a trophy elk or mountain sheep. You can invest a lot of time and money and effort and still not connect.

I decided six years ago that I really wanted to get a big Bluefin tuna and so went on a number of trips to try for one. I had taken a number of small and medium Bluefin, to about 50#, but never a really big one. So I spent a full year, from summer 2016 to summer 2017 taking trips that concentrated on big Bluefin, riding boats that knew what they were doing. I did 1.5s, 2.5s, even 4-day runs. A couple of small fish again, no biggies.

In August of 2017 I decided that the odds were against me on a big party boat, even with reduced loads, and so I booked a trip on a nice 6-pack yacht. We got to the area off San Clemente Island faster, ran the kite with a flying fish for hours, and got a good fish, 256#, which the six of us shared in both fighting and eating.

Four more years, another twenty-four days of party boat trips hunting tuna, and last May I got another big Bluefin, 205#.

If you really want to learn how to catch big tuna from your own boat, you should go on a good 4-pack or 6-pack charter. You will learn the most, and have the best chance of actually bringing back a Bluefin. It will cost you more money on a per/day basis, but save you a lot of expense and time in the end. Sauerfish, Intrigue, Bongos, there are a LOT of excellent 6-pack charter boats in SoCal.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
    Upvote 0