Suggestions on a boat to land some bluefin?

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    What's up everyone.
    I am a proud boat owner but mostly up in channel Islands. Thinking of securing a spot on a charter this week (free Tuesday - Friday this week, any other day in future) to go out and kind of see how this tuna fishing thing works since I've never done anything of this class.
    I'm handy in a boat and know my way around but I'd like to chase some tuna without having to be the captain of the vessel on my first attempt at doing so. The goal would be to learn and observe as best as possible so I could do the same on my boat.
    I'm willing to drive anywhere in socal, San Diego, Newport, etc. Anyone have any favorite boats that you think I should give a try? I'd prefer one that let's me do the fishing myself.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    Read fish reports everyday before go, right now bf fish count is very low.
    Yeah I noticed that. That's why I was wondering if anyone knew of a boat that was hitting especially well. There's a lot of different Sportfishing groups that I'm sifting through...

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Read fish reports everyday before go, right now bf fish count is very low.

You must be reading the wrong threads or following cattle boats only. Even the cattle boats were killing the bluefin yesterday. The Western Pride caught 14 on a 3/4 day trip. Freelance hooked up 28 and only brought in 6 bluefin and one dorado. Heck, even the Freedom who went to Santa Barbara Island caught a bluefin on the way there or back. It tells you there are lots of fish out there and its scattered over a huge area.

There are a lot of people in cattle boats with their bass rods and they are not geared up for 40-150 lb tunas. The fact that tuna is biting is a good sign this week. The count number does not represent the actual number of hookups which is more important.

A lot of the San Diego fleet is down south in Mexico. The people who are on fish are at the 312, 277 and 209 area. Watch out for Polaris Supreme. They are in the zone and their counts should go up. Polaris Supreme and Intrepid are in the kill zone right now. Polaris Supreme always get good info and they are one of the first to hit the kill zones. About a week and half ago, they were down near the snail area near Clemente.

1627867612154.png

Check out the links to some of the local private boats and their reports.

Last edited:
    FishingFiend
    FishingFiend
    10 SD boats were in this zone yesterday and the fleet is pretty much there today. I could not drive more than 10 minutes without running into another school of puddling BFT. Go now.
    Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    You must be reading the wrong threads or following cattle boats only. Even the cattle boats were killing the bluefin yesterday. The Western Pride caught 14 on a 3/4 day trip. Freelance hooked up 28 and only brought in 6 bluefin and one dorado. Heck, even the Freedom who went to Santa Barbara Island caught a bluefin on the way there or back. It tells you there are lots of fish out there and its scattered over a huge area.

There are a lot of people in cattle boats with their bass rods and they are not geared up for 40-150 lb tunas. The fact that tuna is biting is a good sign this week. The count number does not represent the actual number of hookups which is more important.

A lot of the San Diego fleet is down south in Mexico. The people who are on fish are at the 312, 277 and 209 area. Watch out for Polaris Supreme. They are in the zone and their counts should go up. Polaris Supreme and Intrepid are in the kill zone right now.
    View attachment 1304901

Check out the links to some of the local private boats and their reports.

Thanks so much, this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.
    Yes that's why I haven't gone out yet, I wanted to make sure I got the right setup.
    My biggest setup was 30-60 lb rod with 50lb braid. Now I'm up to a 80-130 lb rod with 100lb braid setup. I feel like now I can go out there and not risk getting bitten off at every turn.

Reactions: ShadowX
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Yes that's why I haven't gone out yet, I wanted to make sure I got the right setup.
    My biggest setup was 30-60 lb rod with 50lb braid. Now I'm up to a 80-130 lb rod with 100lb braid setup. I feel like now I can go out there and not risk getting bitten off at every turn.

The recent go-to setup is a 80 lb spectra with a short 80 lb fluoro leader. It is the perfect blend of a good solid reel/line class that can handle bigger fish and is not too big to spook the smaller fish. The rule of thumb is to throw out the heaviest gear first and if they won't bite, go down a size. You can use the 100 spectra to 80 lb fluoro leader if that is all you have.

I suggest you go to Vessel Finder and look at the AIS marks right now. You can see the boats in real time. Intrepid and the Polaris Supreme are both not moving. They are either drifting or they are on fish. The Spirit of Adventure is hauling ass to the spot right now. The Predator and other boats are also in the area. I think its the hot spot right now as the sun is setting. The tuna always stay near their buffet table. Even though the tuna moves very fast, the bait fish does not move that fast. If the bait stays in the area, the fish will stay too.

1627868190054.png

TopGun80 must have gotten the radio message because he is hauling butt to the zone right now. It must be an epic sunset bite coming up. I bet the night bite might even be better when the monsters come out. Definitely need to drop some flat falls down deep for those big boys.

1627868510075.png

Last edited:

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    The recent go-to setup is a 80 lb spectra with a short 80 lb fluoro leader. It is the perfect blend of a good solid reel/line class that can handle bigger fish and is not too big to spook the smaller fish. The rule of thumb is to throw out the heaviest gear first and if they won't bite, go down a size. You can use the 100 spectra to 80 lb fluoro leader if that is all you have.

I suggest you go to Vessel Finder and look at the AIS marks right now. You can see the boats in real time. Intrepid and the Polaris Supreme are both not moving. They are either drifting or they are on fish. The Spirit of Adventure is hauling ass to the spot right now. The Predator and other boats are also in the area. I think its the hot spot right now as the sun is setting. The tuna always stay near their buffet table. Even though the tuna moves very fast, the bait fish does not move that fast. If the bait stays in the area, the fish will stay too.

View attachment 1304904

TopGun80 must have gotten the radio message because he is hauling butt to the zone right now. It must be an epic sunset bite coming up. I bet the night bite might even be better when the monsters come out. Definitely need to drop some flat falls down deep for those big boys.

View attachment 1304919

Wow ! I didn't know about this tool. SO cool! Ill see how these particular vessels do when they head back home and see if the results match your analysis. There's so much to learn!

On the tuna rod, good point, have a lot of different sizes for fluoro so ill have plenty ready to switch down a bit if needed or move down to my smaller rod.

Upvote 0

Noname

🍺 🍻🥂🥃
    May 29, 2009
    san diego
    Name
    Phuc Dat Bich
    Boat
    2320 parker
    Shadow X talking about the long range boats 3 - 15 days, the boats he names are the best of the fleet. They all sold out. How many days you want to go

Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    Shadow X talking about the long range boats 3 - 15 days, the boats he names are the best of the fleet. They all sold out. How many days you want to go
    Doesn't matter. I have 4 days off this week. Have 11 straight does off after next week. I just want to catch a tuna once on a more experienced vessel before I start flying out there on my own. I'm happy for a single day trip if it means tuna. I'm OK w/ yellowtail... Just hate to go on a boat and be catching rock cod and white fish all day haha

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
    Three Rivers California
    Name
    PJ Stevko
    Boat
    N/A
    If you want bft call fisherman's landing and put your name on the wait list for every trip the Pacific Queen has scheduled during your days off...... They catch more bft then any other boat in the fleet

Reactions: dctalk523

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    If you want bft call fisherman's landing and put your name on the wait list for every trip the Pacific Queen has scheduled during your days off...... They catch more bft then any other boat in the fleet
    Thanks, will definitely do this!
    Also if anyone sees this and needs a boat ho I'm interested in that too haha

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    With more time off later, in a couple of weeks, you’ll be seeing cancellations on the five day trips. Guys are cancelling because they don’t want to spend the additional money for permits to fish Guadalupe Island. If you find a spot open, jump on it.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    You have a boat and your in the channel islands . Your local it's just a learning curve . Do an investigational and go tip a toe in the water .

Best way to figure how to catch them on your own boat is to GO .

Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    You have a boat and your in the channel islands . Your local it's just a learning curve . Do an investigational and go tip a toe in the water .

Best way to figure how to catch them on your own boat is to GO .
    Yeah my thought was my investigation would be on a charter haha... Figured if I'm gonna spend $200 in gas, I might as well be guaranteed to bring something back on a charter. But you may be right, might just be worth it if I can make it happen on my own.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Just a heads up getti
    Im on her this Saturday, STOKED!

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    We locked in two weeks ago on the Pacific Queen, securing a boat on the fly right now is kinda like finding parking at the landing!

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None

The location where the boats are fishing are well within a 3/4 day boat range right now. Its less than 25-30 miles from most ports in the LA, Newport or Dana Point area. I'm sure any boat in the fleet can reach it if the fish are still in the same area.

Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    The location where the boats are fishing are well within a 3/4 day boat range right now. Its less than 25-30 miles from most ports in the LA, Newport or Dana Point area. I'm sure any boat in the fleet can reach it if the fish are still in the same area.
    Yeah I'm watching them all now on the site. There's a whole art to this lol. Gonna keep track of who I see going out there

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    With more time off later, in a couple of weeks, you’ll be seeing cancellations on the five day trips. Guys are cancelling because they don’t want to spend the additional money for permits to fish Guadalupe Island. If you find a spot open, jump on it.
    Did they ever put out information on the new permits you’ll need? I have a trip in oct to Guadeloupe.

Reactions: tombo0055
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Yeah I'm watching them all now on the site. There's a whole art to this lol. Gonna keep track of who I see going out there

Some boats turn off their AIS which is actually illegal for commercial boats with passengers, but you can tell from the general direction of their last transmission what direction they are heading. Its a good tool to get a general idea of where the fish are or at least where the cattle boats are searching for fish. Its part of the tools you can use similar to using tools like fishtrack to look for temp breaks and zones with hotter or colder waters. There are definitely hot spots in the location where they are fishing right now.

1627878977842.png

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    I see a lot of speculation, conjecture and wishful thinking in this thread but what I don't see are any actual fish reports or photos. I checked the websites for the Polaris Supreme, the Intrepid and the Topgun 80 and there is not one word about catching any blufin in the last couple of days. Usually if fishing is really good everyone is posting reports and showing photos of big fish.
    I was on a 3 day trip last week and blufin fishing is tough right now. There are a lot of fish out there but they don't want to bite. I go on another 3 day later in the week and I expect things to be pretty similar to the last trip. The one sure thing about fishing for blufin is that it is never easy, you just go and hope for the best.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    I see a lot of speculation, conjecture and wishful thinking in this thread but what I don't see are any actual fish reports or photos. I checked the websites for the Polaris Supreme, the Intrepid and the Topgun 80 and there is not one word about catching any blufin in the last couple of days. Usually if fishing is really good everyone is posting reports and showing photos of big fish.
    I was on a 3 day trip last week and blufin fishing is tough right now. There are a lot of fish out there but they don't want to bite. I go on another 3 day later in the week and I expect things to be pretty similar to the last trip. The one sure thing about fishing for blufin is that it is never easy, you just go and hope for the best.

Perhaps you're right and perhaps you're wrong. A whole bunch of boat don't just congregate in one area unless its holding fishing. In terms of whether they are biting or not, we won't know until the reports come in for the cattle boats. As for the private boats, there are reports of people limiting out as of yesterday (link below). We all know conditions can change overnight, but it sure sounds like the fish are biting in the area based on the private reports.

"...we found lots of boats and foamer after foamer, with at least half willing to die. wow, what a sight! insane! i've never seen bait pushed to the surface to this degree before. truly a sight! ended the day with limits plus and several lost "

If you think cattle boats post pictures of their catch during the middle, of a run, it depends on whether they can get a cell signal in their location. You are more likely to have individuals post pictures on their social media pages instead of the boats until they get back to the docks.

I've seen cattle boats heading back and it takes them 8-10 hours to get back and don't post the fish counts until they are back in the docks. They obviously know if they catch fish or not. The only time I see them post on trip back is when the trip was so phenomenal that they want to put out an early report to get everyone to book the trip on next day.

Either way, we all know this area is holding fish right now. Here is the list of boats there: Polaris Supreme, Excalibur, Ocean Odyssey, Condor, Old Glory, Jigstrike, Ranger 85, Sea Adventure 80. They are packed so close together, you can walk from one boat the next. I'm sure they would spread out more as the morning start. There may be many other private boats there without an AIS doing the same thing.

1627909963692.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

2454 big mike

Aug 31, 2015
    Ramona
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Party crasher
    I suggest the pacific dawn. They have an open party trip leaves 9 Tuesday night comes back 7 Wednesday night. Great crew good food and they catch fish. They only take 19 on overnight trips and will give you attention and information.