Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Boat Name
340Z SeaVee
Here's your charts. https://socalfishingmaps.com/ I have the guides for planning and the single chart as it's quick on the boat to use when I'm working on the water.

Of course without experience to cut the fishing curve https://www.fishdope.com/

Don't mess around with your gear. All you need is one for running that madmac. https://www.pennfishing.com/products/international-visx-1419234?variant=34036252803212

Tons of good info on rigging and trolling that Madmac https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/what-i-learned-about-fishing-madmac-for-bft.801131/

Make sure your ground is good on the VHF
But if you have to purchase new..
Icom VHF is one of the best. https://www.defender.com/product.js...th-gps&path=-1|344|2028693|2028953&id=6750230

Mount that antenna on top of the hardtop. Lots of railing clamps or bolt-through mounts, pick the one you want. Make sure it has the ratchet to put the antenna down for travel. https://www.defender.com/search.html?q=antenna+mount Run the wire up the back leg of the hard top. Ziptie it on. clip the zipties so they aren't sticking out or going to slice anyone. https://amzn.to/3OZFFr5

Super important is binoculars. West Marine 7x50 to start then graduate to Gyros for $3K
I have these binos I bought with a gift certificate because I didn't need anything else. I planned on just thrashing them in the boat but they are actually pretty nice for the price and I don't have to worry about breaking them because West marine has a very good warranty and will swap or take most things back. https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-coastal-100-7-x-50-binoculars-19799238.html

Gaff x 2 https://aftco.com/products/fiberglass-fishing-gaffs?variant=30351801483369

Fish bag https://reliablefishing.com/collect...s/30-x-72-insulated-kill-bag-offshore-edition
Now I wouldn't do this for long term. Take a large cooler and fill it with 20lb bags of ice. Take 2 very large beach towels that would cover a large tuna. Catch the fish, and lay it on a towel soaked with saltwater, ice bags underneath. Put ice bags on top of the fish and the second soaking wet towel over the top. Keep wetting the towel on your way back to the ramp to keep the fish cool. The saltwater weighs down the towel sealing in some of the cool as well as doesn't let the fish dry out.

Your boat can handle it that is a nice setup. Maybe invite someone that knows what they are doing to hop on and show you around the area, who knows... go offshore. Right now in San Diego, the fish are 14 miles away. Drag that madmac enough and you'll catch everything.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat Name
uh....
Nice boat for sure! I’m with Jason on everything but the binos. They might help a little, and mostly for spotting birds. Arima’s are solid boats, but they don’t sit high off the water.

Get your VHF fixed, don’t chance that as that is your life line if shit hits the fan. First thing I would do is check the connections. Take them off, clean any corrosion off and reconnect. A tube of dielectric grease is good to have.

As you probably know, you got yourself a solid boat that will handle a lot more than you would think.

As for that rod… No! If you’re on a budget, a couple older roller style troll rods with a couple old school two speed internationals, and your golden! They’re heavy, but they work.

Good luck, and tight lines!

Upvote 0

reelbadlarry

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat Name
23ft parker, reel bad
Vessel assist is like $200 a year....worth every penny, especially if you don't know your boat... buy a handheld Vhf and put it in a watertight bag....GET a good radio.

Reactions: Tom123
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You are getting GREAT advice! The only thing that I will add is to really give some thought to who is going to go out with you if you are after BIG fish like bluefin. Who is running the boat while you are fighting the fish? When you get it to boatside, how are you going to control it, gaff it, and get it up and into the boat? You and your pal are both on the same side with gaffs, the boat is parallel to the waves and rocking, and you are going to bring a big heavy fish up and over? Oh yeah, that will be easy. Jason is right about taking care of the fish once it is on the deck.

Have a great adventure! I gave up my own boat forty years ago but I still have flashback dreams (and from time to time, a flashback nightmare about close calls.) And you get to call yourself Captain! Nobody else will care, but it will forever alter how you think about yourself.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Yes
    I don't see that his has been mentioned, but very important to take a USCG boater safety class -- not the bare minimum to get a safety card (which is now legally required with a moving age cut off) but the multi-week course put on by USCG Auxilary. You will learn a ton, including navigation basics, rules of the road (shocking how many don't understand the basics of that), and safety.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    A buddy of mine had one of those arimas back in the days before gps. We used to take it to San Miguel island from SB harbor. 48 miles each way in the channel. Got a little hairy but boat was up to it. Back in those days the cod limit was 15 and 5 lings and the whole island was open. Insane fishing and totally worth going

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat Name
    OnTheWater
    All new electronics are the plan.

I'm just itching to get out there.
    I highly recommend getting AIS!! Make sure your new VHF radio and new chartplotter can talk and you can have AIS. If you don't know what it is , look it up. The only issue is, only the big boats can be seen on AIS, you still gotta watch out of the 1,000 skiffs running around. AIS really helps when you are in the shipping channel though.

MUST have a ditch bag with all the essentials in it.

I would work coastal to the 9 for awhile and get comfortable. It's a big ocean out there and can get intimidating when the wind comes up. Sure, it's easy to make it 30 miles out in the morning, but when you got 15-20 kts of wind in the afternoon with short period swell coming home, it's brutal.

Pulling on these big BFT is no joke. It would be ideal if you could warm up on some 30-60lb fish before trying to gaff and boat a 150lb fish. Those big boys can be dangerous, and the guys that land them have tons of experience. They make it look easy.

I wouldn't try to go from zero to hero, try to work your way up, lots to get comfortable with. Good luck out there!

Upvote 0

Sailing La Reina

Almost A Member
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    La Reina
    Forget the fishing stuff until you get all your boat safety items worked out. When the shit hits the fan, it comes at you fast. Always carry a backup vhf and read the directions on how to use it. Also, consider getting personal EPIRBs. A customer of mine fell overboard from a sailboat and was lost at sea this year. It was devastating to his wife & kids. Something else. Learn how to use your anchor. It will save you if you lose power and you are near rocks or obstructions. Getting your California Boaters Card is a good start educationally. 😀

Upvote 0

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
    Palmdale, CA
    Name
    Tomas
    Boat Name
    Sea Hunt Victory 207
    nice boat! novice boat owner here as well - been to catalina twice- besides bonito and rockfish have not cought much from my skiff. Finding fish is hard, trolling is not easy, tying a knot when your boat is rocking is harder. I wear mustang inflatable with EPIRB in a pocket at all times, have wireless engine shut off, uhf with AIS, and 4-man life raft in my cuddy where toilet goes. You are ahead of most people with Madmacs lure !!!

Upvote 0

DAS

Dec 23, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    DAS
    Boat Name
    El Segador
    It's a helluva lot easier to catch fisherman than it is fish. You really need to just spend some time on the bay and kelp and figure out what you got, learn some knots, buy some gear, a bait tank to start, offer-up and craigslist is a good spot for that stuff. Next, jump on a few sporties and get the lay of the land fishing wise offshore. The money spent on those rides will greatly shrink your learning curve. Not to be a downer but you're a long way off from fishing the pelagics offshore with any consistent success. Hit the bay, work the kelp take some offshore trips and gear up for next year.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat Name
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Don't push safety and experience aside to catch one of these bluefin, they aren't going to disappear any time soon.

Get you boat together and spend some time getting to know your boat

Last edited:
    Reactions: fishingwolf
    Upvote 0

Danno

Jan 24, 2007
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    19’ Arima Sea Chaser
    Humberto, welcome to the Arima club. Definitely check out ArimaOwners.com for help with outfitting your Arima. Most Arima boat owners are in the PNW so that site leans to PNW for fishing info but more and more Arimas are coming south every year.

The 21' is a great size Arima for hunting tuna. They go out of the PNW ports for Albacore all the time which means 50 miles just to start trolling for them. Arima's are planing hulls so they will not cut through the chop as well as displacement hulls but you'll get much better gas mileage (expect around 4 mpg) and a much more stable boat that just has to run at more modest speeds in rough conditions. The Arima will definitely take tougher seas than you can.

Follow the other's advice for getting that VHF fixed or replaced. When I bought my Arima, I moved the low budget VHF to the port side and bought a more modern VHF. Get one with built in GPS.

Where are you located? I'm near Dana Pt. If you ever need someone to look over your Arima, let me know.
    A5215B0C-28F4-496D-9E6C-D644BF98E366.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

woolybugger

Almost A Member
    Mar 7, 2006
    San pedro
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat Name
    Parker 1801 cc
    X10 on the epirb but dont rely on its your last chance i take a small boat 30-50 miles out regulary and wont go without a back up gps. Backup vhf and epirb and sat communicator.
    Save up for radar all it takes is one comercial vessel encounter in pea soup for you to Realize how important it is. When its dark or rough wearing a pfd does not make you a pussy. Can you swim well with extra tuffs grundens and a jacket probably not.
    Ive had good luck with the simrad evo series if you are looking to spend some coin but the garmin stuff is great as well.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

vipertom1970

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    don't care what boat you have, a good radio, Tow US, safety equipment and learn to read the weather should be top of the list before thinking about going out.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Central California
    Name
    Karl
    Boat Name
    15ft Western Aluminum
    It's a helluva lot easier to catch fisherman than it is fish. You really need to just spend some time on the bay and kelp and figure out what you got, learn some knots, buy some gear, a bait tank to start, offer-up and craigslist is a good spot for that stuff. Next, jump on a few sporties and get the lay of the land fishing wise offshore. The money spent on those rides will greatly shrink your learning curve. Not to be a downer but you're a long way off from fishing the pelagics offshore with any consistent success. Hit the bay, work the kelp take some offshore trips and gear up for next year.
    This is the best fishing advice this guy got. Glad I didn’t have to be the downer. Hahaha. Mastering the small stuff is the only way to respectfully and safely attempt something like bluefin. Something I will add to this advice is strive to learn the etiquette involved in this “sport”. Be courteous, give people plenty of space, and learn how to keep a secret/respect good info. All part of the game.

You’ve got the bug, enjoy the ride!

Upvote 0

Fred100

Jul 24, 2008
    Vista
    Name
    Fred
    Boat Name
    none
    Take an experienced private boater with you. Like others have shared, a fully operational radio is a Must. Buddy boat more than a great idea. Pick your days so you can have fun vs white knuckling it the whole time. Whenever in doubt, head for the barn. Learn how your boat handles different sea conditions asap... following sea, etc. Days on the water will teach you what you need to know. If no radar, do not go far from shore in case fog rolls in. That way, you can beat it back to shore before it becomes an issue. Just error on the side of caution when you start to feel uncomfortable. Have fun and enjoy your new ride. Blessings and safe boating sir.

Upvote 0

Robert c. Sample

Almost A Member
    Feb 11, 2019
    Snowflake arizona
    Name
    Robert sample
    Boat Name
    Reel rage
    Lots of good information. But remember God gave you a brain use it. I dont know if anyone mentioned a kicker motor you should look into one.all the electronics in the world aren't better than propulsion.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

Reel_Newbie

Roll With It..
    Aug 26, 2011
    I.E.
    Name
    Cesar
    Boat Name
    Everglades 243
    All the good facts have been stated!

I’m risk averse, and don’t take any chances/gambles with safety. I’m on boat 4 in the last 10 years, and I agree that learning your boat should be the most important aside of having all the right safety equipment on board! It’s usually not just your own safety that’s at risk! Always leave your plan with a couple trusted individuals, this would be last ditch SHTF and all else has failed back-up..

Upvote 0

eurotecsys

Almost A Member
    Jul 3, 2008
    Capo Beach, CA. U.S.A.
    Name
    Mack
    Boat Name
    Bertram
    Static VHF radio and a Handheld , Tow Sub. All the safety gear you can take. Check Coast Guard online...Invest in a radar.. Also try to be Patient and learn all your boat systems and Please do this inshore !! Get used to the boat.. Safety First at all times on the water.. Good Luck !

Upvote 0

Humberto Salinas

Almost A Member
    Aug 14, 2016
    Granada Hills, CA
    Name
    Beto
    Boat Name
    Arima Sea Ranger 21
    Thanks for all the replies. Can't reply to each and everyone of you but I read all.

Decided to nip it in the butt and will chill inshore and at the lakes to get confidence on the boat and outboard. Took the family on the boat for a nice of day of tubing yesterday.

Will start researching what to get on electronics. Is it worth to wait for a package during black friday/Fred hall show or the savings not worth it? Will be looking for a 12" mfd, radar, vhf with AIS, and 1kw thru hull ducer to start.

Upvote 0

Latest posts