Suggestions for taking my new 7'6" Viper and Invictus on airplane

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
UPS them. My bazooka tube has accounted for at least 10 guides busted off durring flight or loading. Even when just packing a few rods using small bubble wrap, full protection. Brought back a few rods to Cali to wrap guides. Returned with same amount of guides needing to be re wrapped :). Minimize the weight for padding using bubble wrap. Same with surfboards. Clothes for padding protection makes the tube heavy when the employee drops the rod tube causing a heavier free fall to the ground. When bazookas are opened to check is a big problem. Less weight the better

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Alaska is the best a four inch pvc tube up to 115 inchs is the equivalent of one bag or $25. I screw togethe one end and make the other end removable.Black foam insulation tube works great to protect the rods, I go to Los Cabos 5-6 times a year never a problem on Alaska.

bcause

Jul 14, 2015
Name
Bob Causey
Boat
X
I've used the Plano Jumbo Airliner to take 9' jig sticks on Alaska to various Mexico and Central America trips with no problem with the rod case, the wheels make it really nice. Adjustable so if you don't bring long rods you can shorten the case. TSA or customs definitely will open the case so like a previous post said make it easy for them to unpack and repack your rods to minimize the chance of damage.

Reactions: sealskinner

pascuale

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2004
Tampa/San Diego
Name
Ethan
Boat
nope
Always worry, but this is reassuring.
Maybe the boxes get easily damaged because of the size, who knows. The plastic is pretty indestructable. Its been tossed around for a few years now on 20 flights. Wheels still intact, no issues.
I also ship my rods back to san diego in an irrigation pipe from home depot at times. You can prob fit 3-4 rods depending on size of guides in a 4 inch. UPS would be about $30. Once 8 foot goes waay up.

Reactions: Juanba

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
The airlines have broken 2 Bazookas on me, and just so you know, fishing rods aren't covered under most airlines breakage policies. I bought the Plano jumbo several years ago, and it is wonderful!. I travel with 10, 7' long rods. I fit all of them in the tube, and haven't had one break Yet. I do use a Ty-wrap, to secure the top of the tube on, and always tape an extra one on to the tube, in case TSA wants to see what's inside. My wheels are finally starting to get "wiggly", but the tube is almost 10 years old!. I'm just surprised it's gotten so expensive!!!. I think I paid $60 when I bought mine.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Have you considered buying this?

I have this one and have had no issues like what has already been said pack a towel around the tips or wrap them with bubble wrap and tape it on. All my rods have sleeves so the bubble wrap works great

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
check airline baggage requirements for dimensions. you could be better off shipping the rod via ups or equivalent. otherwise, get a pvc pipe stick and cap one end and put a threaded plug on the other end. schedule 40 pipe
If it's a really nice rod, I'd get schedule 80.

Reactions: locvetter

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Dan,
Can't see the link. Can you say what it is, please?
Loc it's the Plano jumbo with wheels. Great buy, got mine at Bass pro Shops because I had a gift card. I packed it with 8 rods the last time I used it 4 of which are 7'6 one being a Viper

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Loc it's the Plano jumbo with wheels. Great buy, got mine at Bass pro Shops because I had a gift card. I packed it with 8 rods the last time I used it 4 of which are 7'6 one being a Viper
Bought one yesterday on Amazon. You must have a great mind -- thinking like that!

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Bought one yesterday on Amazon. You must have a great mind -- thinking like that!
I wish. I actually got the tip here on another thread a while back. That's why I love this place, lots of good info and folks willing to share

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
First of all congrats on two badass rods. Secondly, I like to ship that stuff ahead of time. One less thing to worry about going thru all the conveyors and TSA gorillas.
This is what you need to worry about. The TSA is one of the best things to ever happen for the tackle business. They break stuff at an alarming rate. The better you package it, creates a better chance of damage on inspection.

It has become impossibly expensive to ship anything over 8' via UPS or Fedex.
Check out the costs of sending it via air freight. Alaska or Southwest. It is a viable alternative.
You will have to go to the freight office to get the goods once at the airport however.

canyonman

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
Horror stories . Had the TSA take a saw to the top of my Bazooka rod tube in order to inspect . That was it for me . I started shipping them till that became an issue . Now I just leave my long range quiver in San Diego . Thanks Mike Morris . Another buddy who insists on carrying his rods with him on the plane had the misfortune of almost having to go rodless due to his rods not making the flight . Luckily the airline was able to get them to him prior to the trip leaving . Its so much easier these days to leave the logistics up to Bigfish Transport . Just get on the flight with your carry on and relax.

canyonman

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
Horror stories . Had the TSA take a saw to the top of my Bazooka rod tube in order to inspect . That was it for me . I started shipping them till that became an issue . Now I just leave my long range quiver in San Diego . Thanks Mike Morris . Another buddy who insists on carrying his rods with him on the plane had the misfortune of almost having to go rodless due to his rods not making the flight . Luckily the airline was able to get them to him prior to the trip leaving . Its so much easier these days to leave the logistics up to Bigfish Transport . Just get on the flight with your carry on and relax.

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Alaska is the best as It looks like you can go up to 115”. Straight off thier website:
  • Fishing
    One piece of fishing equipment is defined as two rods, two reels, and one tackle box. Fishing equipment may exceed 62" (linear) but no more than 115" (linear), without incurring an oversize fee.
Alaska has angling and hunting in their DNA. The others, from none to not very much.

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
My SKB tube goes to only 7'2". I have considered making an extension, or designing my own, but if others have had good experience with other options out there, I'd love to lear about it.

I will have 8 rods to check, four of which are 7'6".

Flying AlaskaAir, but future trips who knows.

Thanks

We take our own rods to Alaska every year. we box them up with long cardboard shipping boxes that Randy uses at UC. I take all 7'6" and 8' rods the box is closer to 8'6" and we have NEVER had an issue.

flown out of LAX and John Wayne.

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
We take our own rods to Alaska every year. we box them up with long cardboard shipping boxes that Randy uses at UC. I take all 7'6" and 8' rods the box is closer to 8'6" and we have NEVER had an issue.

flown out of LAX and John Wayne.
Great info. I may need to go that rout. I did get a deluxe Plano, and, just yesterday, I started doing an extension on my SKP -- Used carbon fiber woven material with epoxy resin. Cannot, rationally, be optimistic that I will have created a confidence building structure. We shall see.

John Wayne to Alaska -- probably on AlaskaAir? They seem to understand.